Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if other 2002 5MT owners are having similar "issue" with their trannies.

I just hit 1300 miles (scheduled for 1000
maintainence on Wednesday)

I've noticed three "issues"

Shifting into 1st gear from a dea stop (not
letting off of the clutch yet) causes a
mild "clunk". Same thing when shifting into
reverse.

At about 1000 miles I started to noticed when shifting into 3rd if I don't wait atleast 1.5 seconds I can feel a very slight misalignment of the gears. I have the clutch all the way down, and it feels like the gears haven't completly syncronized (like one tooth is catching an edge). Would the RPM I'm shifting at cause this? I was under the impression, that the gears should syncronize
quickly no matter what RPM I shift at.

When shifting into 5th, if I don't try to match the RPMs I hear a mild clunk when I start accelerating. Before I figured out the
"match the RPMs" I would slowly release the
clutch, while giving slight amount of gas,
when the the car started to push the engine
to the point where I thought the RPMs were
matched, I would release the clutch and then
start acceltaring. AT the point I started
acclearting, I would hear the clunk. Before
accelerating the, car was pushing the engine.
To avoid this, I don't start releasing the
clutch until I've given enough gas to get the RPMs upto about 3k. Then I can be a bit quicker on releasing the the clutch, and start accelerating right away. The big difference between my two "methods" is that the car never really pushes the engine during
the second technique.
Other then these "issues" I'm loving my 2002

2002 5MT Crystal White NH ID AS RF SR

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are actually USING the clutch, then it should not matter about matching RPMs. That is an issue when you are power shifting (which does not include the clutch). The purpose of a clutch is to stop the plates so that you can line up another gear. This sounds more like a syncro problem. Have you talked to the dealer about your problem yet? If not that might be the right way to go. It is probably under warranty. Good Luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Answer two questions in one reply

Yes, I purchased the Crystal White IS300 from
Rohrich, 1st one in Pittsburgh

I plan to bring up these issues when I take it in for it's 1k maintainence (this wednesday).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi James - did you get a good deal at Rohrich? I'm relocating to Pittsburgh on Sept 1, but will likely purchase an 02 5sp from Ray Catena Lexus in Jersey before I go. Just wondering if they were willing to negotiate out there!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I got a good deal. I dealt with George Tarasi. I'm not sure if they are used to selling Lexus cars to a younger crowd yet, but they do know how to treat serious buyers well. I know they had/have a Black Onyx
5MT available. It was supposed to be at dock on the 21st. Takes about 10 days to get from dock to Pit, so it should be at the dealer any day now.

(Master card add...)
One month extention on old car lease: $450
New 2002 Crystal White IS300 5MT: $33,600
Owning the first '02 IS300 in Pittsbugh: priceless

Whats bringing you to Pit?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks for the info James. I went to CMU, started my business in Pgh and lived there for a six or so years. I relocated to NJ for a year to field some new business, but decided that it would be easier for me to relocate myself to Pitt rather than relocating my employees in Pitt to NJ.

I'll be setting up shop in the Strip.

Have you noticed that there are not so many IS300s in the burgh? I rarely see one when I'm in town.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have an '02 stick with 500 miles, and haven't had a problem. I'm following the breakin procedure though, and for now I don't shift past 4k RPM.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've only seen 4 '01 IS300s in the area.

black, yellow, silver, green

I haven't heard from any other Pit owners
on the forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I followed the "break in" schedule religiously
until I hit 800 miles. I just had to take it
over 55 ....

I didn't start to notice these "issues" until
this past weekend at about 1k. The only reason I've drive 300 miles since then is that I was 300 miles from home

Let me know if anything turns up on yours.

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: James R. Leu ]

·
Registered
98 Posts
i WORK AT A dealership, this clunking in reverse can be caused from the brake pads shifting inside the pots, but it is a very mild noise, if it is loud, it could be something elts

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
mine does it, and has ever since new, which was 2 weeks ago. supras do the same thing, so it never has, and does not bother me. i am told that on the sup's, it is from play in the drivetrain. when friction catches in first or reverse, there is no friction where the play is, and then it will catch causing a slight clunking noise due to the change in friction. i wouldn't sweat it.

Originally posted by James R. Leu:
Just wondering if other 2002 5MT owners are having similar "issue" with their trannies.

I just hit 1300 miles (scheduled for 1000
maintainence on Wednesday)

I've noticed three "issues"

Shifting into 1st gear from a dea stop (not
letting off of the clutch yet) causes a
mild "clunk". Same thing when shifting into
reverse.

At about 1000 miles I started to noticed when shifting into 3rd if I don't wait atleast 1.5 seconds I can feel a very slight misalignment of the gears. I have the clutch all the way down, and it feels like the gears haven't completly syncronized (like one tooth is catching an edge). Would the RPM I'm shifting at cause this? I was under the impression, that the gears should syncronize
quickly no matter what RPM I shift at.

When shifting into 5th, if I don't try to match the RPMs I hear a mild clunk when I start accelerating. Before I figured out the
"match the RPMs" I would slowly release the
clutch, while giving slight amount of gas,
when the the car started to push the engine
to the point where I thought the RPMs were
matched, I would release the clutch and then
start acceltaring. AT the point I started
acclearting, I would hear the clunk. Before
accelerating the, car was pushing the engine.
To avoid this, I don't start releasing the
clutch until I've given enough gas to get the RPMs upto about 3k. Then I can be a bit quicker on releasing the the clutch, and start accelerating right away. The big difference between my two "methods" is that the car never really pushes the engine during
the second technique.
Other then these "issues" I'm loving my 2002

2002 5MT Crystal White NH ID AS RF SR

·
Registered
85 Posts
im having the same exact problem with my car and only 400 miles,shifter kinda clunks on every gear ecepct for 4 and 5th. But let say from 1st to 2nd if i leave it in neutral for a second or two before shifting it seems to be ok. im loving the car but every single time i shift makes me think and feel depressed . i miss the way my shifter on my si feels!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hmmm -- would these tranny issues prevent you guys from buying the car again?

·
Registered
85 Posts
well i havent got a chance to talk to lexus about it , but yes if the car is always going to be like this then ive rather buy a auto...but still deffinately is-300 but in auto..and its not just me with this problem ive seen post from other boards with people with same exact problem!

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Perhaps changing the transmission fluid might help.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yikes! I have a deposit down on a red 5spd. I didn't notice any clunking (or atleast any clunking not caused by me being an inexperienced 5spd driver.)

James - let me know what Rohrich says on Wed. about your clunking.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hey - I just exceeded 100 posts. Don't I get free food or something?

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey Guys

I had about 2 hours behind the wheel of a 2002 is300 5 speed and I did not hear any of the clunks or thuds that you are describing. Not even a thud when backing up and I am a NUT when it comes to rattles, thuds, and and what not. This sounds to me like an issue that might not be affecting most 5 speeds. Maybe just a few but in separate locations. If you look at the overall picture, I bet not many will have this problem. Did you two follow the procedure of leting it break in for 1200 or so and were you careful? And one more important thing, have you guys had experience in other 5 speeds, I thought this 5 speed was SMOOThER than my 199 z3 2.8 5 speed. An dthe clutch take up is way different than the Z3, it catches much higher which is tricky at first but with practice, can be mastered.

Hope all is resolved.

Joe

2002 silver full leather on order to be recieved any day now

1 - 20 of 66 Posts