Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get everything together for boost and i have a 2001 IS so i dont want to mess up the auto tranny. Any recommended valve body upgrades or torque converters? Was checking out the torque converter that SRT offers but didnt know if there was anything cheaper thats just as good.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
There won't be anything cheaper then what SRT offers. I believe almost everywhere you go to they will be selling a PI Torque converter. You can also send you OE to SRT or PFS to have them modify the stall. Torque Converters aren't necessary. What is definitely a need would be an upgrade valvebody and an upgrade sprag. You can go a little further and do a complete built with some Raybestos blue clutch packs. My advice don't take it anywhere else but SRT or PFS. Some places will claim their shit works but these two shop have proven their modification works.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'd recommend you get the trans race built by either PFS or SRT. I sent mine to PFS. Best $1800 I've spent so far into the car. No point in having a lot of HP unless you can put it to the ground.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
I'd recommend you get the trans race built by either PFS or SRT. I sent mine to PFS. Best $1800 I've spent so far into the car. No point in having a lot of HP unless you can put it to the ground.
Your tranny upgrade is dependant upon your power goal. A fully built transmission consist of a valve body upgrade shift 1-5, upgrade 3rd gear sprag, machine work to add addition clutch and plates and most likely used Raybestos Blue friction disk. I say this is your best ooption if you can afford it but if not the least I would do is a complete 1-5 shift valve body upgrade and an upgraded sprag gear.

IMO, don't go with those ebay vb shift rod upgrades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts