Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the normal operating transmission temperature? What is considered cold and hot?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
i want to know the answer also since i dont have a tranny cooler, no room for it... all i know is when my car is cold and i put it in reverse or drive it really jerks hard, however after its been driven for a few minutes its fine

·
Registered
557 Posts
What's the normal operating transmission temperature? What is considered cold and hot?

Anything over 200 deg F (93 deg C) is considered hot... If you can nail those ATF temps below 200 deg most of the time, then it is ideal. Over 220 deg F then it is hurting the life of the transmission.

Without a tranny cooler, my stock transmission would hover around 190 deg F sitting in traffic. The moment I play with the E-shift, keeping revs higher than usual and after a few pulls (I was still NA), temps would climb up to 205-210 deg F. I can conclude that the stock ATF cooler configuration is not adequate for any type of spirited driving at stock power levels.

With a B&M 13000 BTU cooler, my temps were constantly under 200 deg F no matter what the hell I do with a stock engine (except for intake, Supra exhaust, HKS DLI and E-manage ultimate... just no boost yet :)).

All temps are recorded with synthetic ATF as well. I can't even imagine how much hotter the stock ATF fluids would do.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anything over 200 deg F (93 deg C) is considered hot... If you can nail those ATF temps below 200 deg most of the time, then it is ideal. Over 220 deg F then it is hurting the life of the transmission.

Without a tranny cooler, my stock transmission would hover around 190 deg F sitting in traffic. The moment I play with the E-shift, keeping revs higher than usual and after a few pulls (I was still NA), temps would climb up to 205-210 deg F. I can conclude that the stock ATF cooler configuration is not adequate for any type of spirited driving at stock power levels.

With a B&M 13000 BTU cooler, my temps were constantly under 200 deg F no matter what the hell I do with a stock engine (except for intake, Supra exhaust, HKS DLI and E-manage ultimate... just no boost yet :)).

All temps are recorded with synthetic ATF as well. I can't even imagine how much hotter the stock ATF fluids would do.
awesome thanks good info
I run synthetic Redline ATF with a tranny cooler and my temps never get over 180 whether in traffic or canyon running. its usually around 120.

also Im gonna run some Redline racing ATF in it. You said that youve used it many times on stock auto's and its perfectly fine right? would it be ok or comfortable enough for daily driving?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so a tranny cooler really does help performance wise? i mean i just have bolt ons i/h/e..
its not about performance. its more important than that.
more stress on your trans = more heat
so your going to need to have adequate cooling to bring the temps down back to normal or somethings going to eventually give out and break, if not soon, it eventually will

you'll be fine with the stock tranny cooler if you have bolt ons

1 - 6 of 6 Posts