Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know very little about transmissions and what to look for. Occasionally i will be rolling up to a stop, and then lightly accelerate, and the transmission seems to slip when going into gear. All other gear shifts seem to be fin at both WOT and partial throttle. MAF has been cleaned, fluid filter has been changed about 8k miles ago, fluid is clean and full with no leaks. At a dead stop the car seems to take off fine, its only when im slowing down and start lightly accelerating does it seem to slip. Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
is it when you gas theres a slight hesitation? cuz if so that happens to me, its like slowing slowing slowing then add alittle gas you hear your exhaust go vrrom and it wont move much? i think thats normal

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could you give a little more detail on the slipping? I ask since I think I might have the same issue. An example of mine is coming down my drive way (.8 mi) and coasting down the slight grade. At the bottom I go to hit the gas to accelerate onto the surface street, but it is like it revs up before engaging. I would almost describe it as if the trans has a 2500rpm stall. Is this similar to what you are talking about?

-Terracar

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Is the fluid at the correct level? Are you checking the level with the car running in park? Are you sure you are not experiencing the downshift as you accelerate?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you give a little more detail on the slipping? I ask since I think I might have the same issue. An example of mine is coming down my drive way (.8 mi) and coasting down the slight grade. At the bottom I go to hit the gas to accelerate onto the surface street, but it is like it revs up before engaging. I would almost describe it as if the trans has a 2500rpm stall. Is this similar to what you are talking about?

-Terracar
That's almost exactly it. Slight acceleration, the vehicle revs ( not sure how high it revs), and then engages. i would assume its around the 2k mark.

Its definitely not a downshift, and im checking fluids correctly.

·
Registered
682 Posts
At light throttle there is little hydraulic pressure in the transmission so it does tend to slip a lot between 1st and 2nd, that is apparently quite normal when its warm from what i have read. When cold the viscosity of the fluid is different so tends to bump through the gears more. If you give it the boot at the same condition it should build revs and hydraulic pressure and go through a bit harder, but you will find 1st to 2nd is always a bit sloppy, its the nature of these A650e transmissions apparently.

If the trans is known to be in good nick and the fluids been changed you can look at dropping the pan and making sure the pressure selector is set to high (there are 3 settings you can select from), which will help the changes a little but not huge. You can also look at doing the whole solenoid shim/rod mod but that is a pretty intense thing to do if you don'
t have any experience working on the internals of transmissions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts