Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 Is300 At 5 Speed Has Been Acting Up...the Fluid Has Been Changed And Is New And Clean @ 60k It Now Has 64k On It...it Has Been Hesitating Between Shifts (in The 3-4k) Rpm Range...it Doesnt Matter If You Have It The Regular Drive Mode Or Manual Shift Mode And Shift It Manually With The Controls On The Steering Wheel...it Still Hesitates....it Has Been Doing This Since About 50k On The Car, But It Is Seem To Be Getting Worse..before It Was Every Once In A While..now Its Almost Everytime It Shifts..and Its Also Slow Going Into The 5th Overdrive Gear....i Have Made An Appt To Get To The Lexus Dealer Of Mobile,al The Closest One To Me Next Week..any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
extremept said:
My 01 Is300 At 5 Speed Has Been Acting Up...the Fluid Has Been Changed And Is New And Clean @ 60k It Now Has 64k On It...it Has Been Hesitating Between Shifts (in The 3-4k) Rpm Range...it Doesnt Matter If You Have It The Regular Drive Mode Or Manual Shift Mode And Shift It Manually With The Controls On The Steering Wheel...it Still Hesitates....it Has Been Doing This Since About 50k On The Car, But It Is Seem To Be Getting Worse..before It Was Every Once In A While..now Its Almost Everytime It Shifts..and Its Also Slow Going Into The 5th Overdrive Gear....i Have Made An Appt To Get To The Lexus Dealer Of Mobile,al The Closest One To Me Next Week..any Ideas?
you might need the ECU upgrade bro. use the search function type in "ecu recal TSB"

hopes this helps

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 01 shifts really hard when it changes gears, It all started when I changed my transmission fluid about a year and half ago... I made the mistake of not using the Lexus brand fluid and now i have to live with that mistake... And I did take it to Lexus and they said it was the way i drive my car

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update on my car..i brought it to the dealer and they did the reprogram...but it is still doing the same thing..they have now ordered me a new ecu for the car and i have to go back this thursday the 13th ..keep ya posted...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i went last week with a print out of the tsb i found on line..my dealer was very aware of this problem and actually handed me an updated version on the new tsb that was released about the trac issues and the shifting issues as well....they put it on the scanner and reflashed it...he said to let him know if this fixed it or not and if it didnt he would replace the ecu...well as soon as i left the dealer i called him back to let him know it did not fix the problem, he ordered a new ecu and scheduled me in to get it changed..he said that this problem is common and that its nothing internally wrong with the trans..it is for surely a electical problem with the ecu..

tony

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well guys to let you know that the new ecu they ordered and install for me a few weeks ago did absolutly nothing...it is doing the exact same things as i stated above..so i guess the guy was full of shit when he said it was a common problem and its for sure an electrical problem...i think it is the solenoids, or the valve body..hell at this point it might be something internally wrong with the trans, but it is not the ecu...i am calling them again in the morning 10-31-05 to talk to the service manager to see what is next for them to try since they dont know exaclty wtf it is..keep ya posted...

tony

·
Registered
178 Posts
My car does this, at first it just did it a few occassionally... But now it does it almost every time I reach 3/4k rpms! Im hesitent to make a appt. because I dont want them to think wtf does this teenager think he knows... Let me know if it gets fixed and how.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just an update for you guys following this thread...i am now returning the car to them for a 3rd time back to lexus today 11-07-05,they are keeping it until its fixed,(thank god for a loaner from them)i called and spoke to the service manager explained the other appointments to him,as what they have done has not solved the problem..i also told him this was my 2nd is 300 and being that they were both the same yrs 01 cars,my first one did not do anything like this,he replied to me as if the first one didnt do it and this one is doing it all the time and we have nt fixed it yet,it must be something that the techs in california main office will have to look into and solve the problem...so just to let you guys know they are calling some techs in from california to come and look into the problem,since there techs are not getting it fixed...so all you guys having problems with this like me, dont give up on the issue, and just stay on them until the fix it...and speak to the service manager of your dealer!!!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Solenoids

It's probably the solenoids. Mine has the same problem due to a solenoid misfire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya i mentioned that to the service manager and he said that is what they are going to test next, is the valve body and the solenoids..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just got a msg on my cell that the car is fixed and it was a bad mass air flow meter....i will be making another trip over to go get the car...i ll let ya know when i get back with it if its really fixed or not...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I seriously doubt the MAF could cause the shift issue. I have a similar issue and my car does it when shiftin from 4th to 5th. It doesnt do it all the time but some and I just change the gear to 4th and then 5th from the steering.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys they(lexus) final got it right...it was a bad mass air flow meter....this was causing the car to bogg sending the ecu the wrong signal for the transmission to shift.. and OMFG,the car is like night and day from before!!i told my fiance that i was gonna drive it like i stole it right off the lot... i pulled and looked at the car so anxious to get in it and test drive it..well to say the least as soon as i started the car for some strange reason i was like,its finally fixed, i could just tell....i pulled out the parking lot after letting the car warm up...i nailed it out the p-lot and got sideways for about 40ft...i was like, ooh yea the beast is finally back...Man i am so stoked to have the car back and to have it run the way it should run and shift the way it shoould...before leaving mobile,alabama i ran around town trying to make it mess up and mis-shift or hesitate on the gas in between the gears..it never missed a beat!! Props to lexus for finally getting it right and fixed after 3 trips from pensacola florida....i was afraid to start modding the car before then except silent stealth cold air tube i have with the k/n drop in..., but now it is so on,i came home and ordered some headers,downpipe, and hotchikis springs..so for all you guys that followed this thread, thanks and this is finally a happy ending!!!

if you have any questions,please pm me....i m be glad help you out if you are having similar problems....i ll try to tell you what to say to the pesky service advisors if you are having issues...oh btw all my work is covered under the factory warranty...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well the factory lexus warranty on the powertrain is 70k...so maybe i got lucky being this was electrical components ....the service manager asked if i had a extended today for the first time,and i do not,so he said that they will cover it....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts