Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a transmission leak but I can't find the part I need! It's leaking from one or two of the fixed lines attached to the block. I'm pretty sure it's transmission fluid. It tastes like poison. This is on the passenger side, right below the alternator. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
...did you actually taste it?
Sorry, I don't have an actual, helpful response to the OP.

But some military guys have gone through a program where they have to remember what different vehicle fluids taste like in case they are having a vehicular issue in the dead of night and the use of lighting is not permitted. The only example I can thing of is vehicle no more worky but a strange fluid is pooling up on the ground so you get a dab and taste a bit of it. "Ah its just coolant someone come over here and give it a piss." Or, "Ah its oil, grab your stuff and lets go."

Each fluid (oil, trans fluid, coolant, etc.) are supposed to have very distinctive tastes.

okay back to your regularly scheduled thread.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
It's low pressure fluid. Replacing the lines is a pretty major undertaking. They route around the motor mounts back to the transmission and trying to get the orientation correct is a pain. Are you sure it's not the flex line leaking back to the hard line?

If it was my car and the line was leaking. I'd probably either cut it at the break and splice it with some flex line or take it out and weld it. Because it's low pressure, it doesn't need much not too leak.

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=6725894&ukey_make=5773&ukey_model=89467&modelYear=2001&ukey_category=65512&ukey_driveLine=70187&ukey_TrimLevel=0&ukey_modelRange=0&searchString=

It's about $100 for both lines.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...did you actually taste it?
Yes of course! A mechanic friend of mine said that's what you do if you don't know what fluid it is. I couldn't tell where it was coming from at first. And the coolant (red) and trans fluid (red) look the same and felt the same when I had some in my hands.

Sorry, I don't have an actual, helpful response to the OP.

But some military guys have gone through a program where they have to remember what different vehicle fluids taste like in case they are having a vehicular issue in the dead of night and the use of lighting is not permitted. The only example I can thing of is vehicle no more worky but a strange fluid is pooling up on the ground so you get a dab and taste a bit of it. "Ah its just coolant someone come over here and give it a piss." Or, "Ah its oil, grab your stuff and lets go."

Each fluid (oil, trans fluid, coolant, etc.) are supposed to have very distinctive tastes.

okay back to your regularly scheduled thread.
VERY true. Coolant is sweet.

OP,

I'm assuming this is an auto trans car?
Yes it is an auto.

I do not have the part number. But that looks like the holder. The lines are what you will need.
I can't tell if it's the holder or the lines for sure. Seems odd that it would be leaking from the holder, but anything is possible.

It's low pressure fluid. Replacing the lines is a pretty major undertaking. They route around the motor mounts back to the transmission and trying to get the orientation correct is a pain. Are you sure it's not the flex line leaking back to the hard line?

If it was my car and the line was leaking. I'd probably either cut it at the break and splice it with some flex line or take it out and weld it. Because it's low pressure, it doesn't need much not too leak.

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=6725894&ukey_make=5773&ukey_model=89467&modelYear=2001&ukey_category=65512&ukey_driveLine=70187&ukey_TrimLevel=0&ukey_modelRange=0&searchString=

It's about $100 for both lines.
Thanks for the link and the idea! I really don't feel like replacing the lines because it does look like a PITA.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
When I switched back from manual to automatic, re-installing the lines without pulling the motor was one of the more nightmarish parts of the job. It's a 3d puzzle to get it all routed and oriented properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts