Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my is300 for over a year but this is my first post so be nice :D I was wondering how often do you need to change your transmission fluid? The dealer wanted to change it at 15k miles; however, the IS300 manual didn't support this. In fact, the dipstick for the transmission fluid has a "do not change" sticker around it. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. BTW I have a '01 black/black with 23k pleasureable miles.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
asn007 said:
I've had my is300 for over a year but this is my first post so be nice :D I was wondering how often do you need to change your transmission fluid? The dealer wanted to change it at 15k miles; however, the IS300 manual didn't support this. In fact, the dipstick for the transmission fluid has a "do not change" sticker around it. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. BTW I have a '01 black/black with 23k pleasureable miles.
Well, I just had my 15k service and they changed mine. I think it's due to the break-in of the tranny. there's a lot of wear at first when the clutch plates wear in, a lot of material gets "liberated" into the oil.

But after the intial change, it should be changed every 30k.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I went with what the manual said. Dealers are always trying to make a buck. It should be included in your 30K service.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
dph said:
I went with what the manual said. Dealers are always trying to make a buck. It should be included in your 30K service.
Well, mine was included as part of the 15k service, which was $280. According to most people on the list, that's the average price.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
That's actually a question I was meaning to ask but forgot. Why does it say "Do not change" on the dipstick?

I changed mine at 15k and 30k, but I'm wondering if I'm just wasting money.

I've never heard of a car that didn't need a trans fluid change before.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
ATLDave said:
That's actually a question I was meaning to ask but forgot. Why does it say "Do not change" on the dipstick?

I changed mine at 15k and 30k, but I'm wondering if I'm just wasting money.

I've never heard of a car that didn't need a trans fluid change before.
It's NEVER a waste of money to change your tranny fluid, even as often as 15k. Frequent new fluid and filter changes help the tranny last MUCH longer, especially if you plan to go FI or n2o.

Once I get my supercharger, I will be changing the tranny filter and oil every 20k. I might possibly get a shift/valve body upgrade also, if recommended.

Trust me, I have a LOT of experience with auto's, and changing the fluid and filter is one of the best things you can do for it.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
So what do we need to do our own?

What number oil? fluid, filter, gasket?

For rear diff too

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
yeah... i want to change the tranny and diff fluid too...any one want to shed some light on what i need and what the general procedure is on the IS? TIA

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Ok, so I called the dealer and here's what I got:

Toyota Type T-IV automatic trans fluid. I don't know what this converts to from Redline Oil, but I picked a can up from the dealer....$26 bucks.

Then, some sort of washer thing was $5

Stock rear-diff oil is 80/90wt...but I got the Redline 75/90wt which is what is compatible. I got 3qt's for $24

According to the dealer, there is no filter or gasket....just a "screen" that you don't replace.

So, my uncle is gonna do this for me and we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
495 Posts
the transmission and rear differential is part of the 30k service. also if your no using a lift how do u plan on getting the differential fluid back in the diff. also u cant just pour it in the way it is laid out under the car. if you are worried about cutting back on cost which most of u are. take your own supplied fluid to the dealer and have them do it. it will be cheaper with your own fluid but u can rest assure it will be done right. i am not trying to make dealer sales as i know they can be pricey but most of you really dont know how to tackle a service like this and i would leave it up to the people who know the car best. some people on this site act like they deisgned and built the car but they didnt and are not nearly as full of knowledge as someone who has had lexus training.

just my two cents.
dennis

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
My uncle owns a tranmission shop. So, he has a lift and he's doing it for free.

So, in all...I got a free oil change, about $50 for the trans/rear...rotate tires for free and I'll have the dealer check squeaks for free. Also, we did the radiator crap and inspections.

So, Instead of $500, $50 sounds better.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
mattssi said:
My uncle owns a tranmission shop. So, he has a lift and he's doing it for free.

So, in all...I got a free oil change, about $50 for the trans/rear...rotate tires for free and I'll have the dealer check squeaks for free. Also, we did the radiator crap and inspections.

So, Instead of $500, $50 sounds better.
Where'd you get $500 from? Just curious. I looked at my 15k mile statement and they charged $67 for doing the tranny. Not bad for PART of the whole $300 service.

$50 is better though, yes I agree with that! :wink:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Kanine21 -

Dealerships in different geographic locations are able to get away with charging different prices. I am getting ready to do my 30K service so I am calling around different Lexus dealers in the DC area. The dealership I bought my IS from wants about $450 another about 20 miles away wants about $550. Consider yourself lucky if you live in an area charging only $300 for the 30K service.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
is3hundo said:
Kanine21 -

Dealerships in different geographic locations are able to get away with charging different prices. I am getting ready to do my 30K service so I am calling around different Lexus dealers in the DC area. The dealership I bought my IS from wants about $450 another about 20 miles away wants about $550. Consider yourself lucky if you live in an area charging only $300 for the 30K service.
Oh shit.. my bad, I was thinking of my 15k service, not the 30k. Yeah, I guess the 30k service is about $500.

sorry.... :oops:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Yeah, it was like $480.

$150 for just the trans fluid. $150 for radiator flush separately.

Expensive mo fo's

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just did my own 30k service because I thought that for what the dealer does and charges, I could do it just as well.

Parts:
4 liters of ATF,... I would not go with Redline or Amsoil since Toyota itself has a few different types of ATF and they call for a specific type even within their own brands.

2 quarts of 70-80 Amsoil synthetic differential fluid. The diff case only holds apx 1.4 quarts and overfilling is not a good idea contrary to what some may think. Overfilling does not really provide any more protection and all that will happen is that the fluid will foam.

6 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic.

1 Amsoil oil filter

1 Amsoil air filter

1 tranny/diff filler. This is basically a long 20-22" tube attached to a threaded cap that fits the oil cap. It has an on/off valve.

1 gal Toyota (Red) coolant (full strength)

Oil/filter change has been posted to death,.... but for the record, I took the oil filter off from the top.

I did not do a coolant flush since neither would Lexus. They just do a drain and refill. So did I. I drained the coolant from the radiator (there is a thumb plug that is white and at the bottom left (when facing the front of the car) that if you unscrew halfway, will drain the entire radiator. I sucked out the overflow for good measure as well. I then refilled with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. Ran the car with the heater on full heat. Topped off the overflow tank and was done.

The tranny, I had the car on 4 stands. I drained and refilled the tranny (apx 2.5 liters came out) I then started the car (while still on stands) and put the car through all the gears. I got the wheels up to about 45 MPH to make sure 5th engaged. Be gentle with the car while up on stands since the wheels get spinning pretty fast. I then drained about 1.5 liters from the tranny and refilled. I figure I changed about 1/3 of the fluid. The reason for driving it is to mix the fluid in the torque converter with the fluid in the pan. (The converted holds about 2/3 of the fluid in the tranny)
Remember to use new crush washers:)

The Diff I used the filler tube and squeezed the oil in. There is enough room in between the suspension arms to get the oil bottle above the level of the diff fill plug. Just squeeze untill it starts to drain out of the fill hole. If the car is relatively level you should put in about 1.5 quarts which is about what they call for in the manual.
Crush washers here too (2 of them drain and fill plug)

I did this all on one shot since half the stuff needs the car up on stands.

Rotated tires, lubed hinges, checked all boots, checked all other fluid.... took maybe 4 hours and I was in NO hurry and I was talking to my family at the time.

Gosh I even enjoyed it, am I sick? Perhaps it was the fact that I save about $300-400 depening on what # you start with and I know that I used better motor oil and diff oil than they would have used.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
Hiroshima
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing