Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so here is my problem,

i have a 2002 lexus is300 auto and yesterday i noticed a puff of smoke coming out from under the hood. I stopped at a gas station to see what could be wrong and someone told me that there is a leak and the fluid is hitting the exhaust making it smoke. I look under the car and sure enough there was a constant drip, probably 3-5 small drips/second. Anyway it looks like it is dripping from where the transmission meets the engine.

It also only drips when the car is running. I havent been driving the car since then and I hope to bring it in to a transmission shop or the dealership on monday to have this repaired.

Can anybody tell me what seal or gasket this could be from and what kind of service I can expect to receive whether it be major or minor repairs?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Is it on the engine side of the transmission bell housing? It would sound like it's not transmission fluid and it might actually be oil. I would check your oil level and see if it's low. You could have blown your rear main seal and oil is leaking out of the rear of the engine.

get a sample of the oil and check it out to see what type of fluid it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is coming from the bell housing. It is transmission oil becuase i put a piece of paper under the dripping to catch some oil and it was a dirty red color. Could there be a possible leak in the torque converter? Or is it just the front pump seal? Would the torque converter need to be replaced in either case? Im just trying to get a good diagnosis so i can tell my mechanic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my car. I drove home from school and when I got home my car was smoking from under the hood I checked to oil and it was very low and the oil was burning off the exhaust. I haven't drove it since and today my boyfriend got under it and it is the the rear main seal. Don't know if this is the same thing as your car but just a suggestion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think if it was regular motor oil that was leaking it would be the rear main seal. In my case, i believe it is a front pump seal on the transmission because there is transmission oil leaking. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks for all who have replied. I appreciate the ideas from the replies.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
This is probably a little late......

You should also inspect the vent tube. There is a rubber hose coming off of the transmission that helps it ventillate. This can become plugged with grit, undercoating etc and cause pressure inside of the transmission. This could cause fluid to be forced up the dipstick tube and spill out.
While it is an unlikely probability, this tube will vent excessive fluid, if over filled, and also appear to be leaking.

May not be a related issue, but worth the few second it takes to look at it.

Digger08

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually brought it in to Toyota and they determined that it is the Front Pump Seal on the transmission that was busted, making it leak. 2500 dollar job just to replace a 10 dollar part. Good thing i bought the extended warranty when i bought my car a few months ago. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts