Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
blueMM said:
i just called my dealer and they told me that the tranny filter is a stainless steel filter and does not need to be and is not recommended to be changed on all lexus vehicles. true or false?
true, under normal driving conditions, the metal mesh tranny filter does not need to be changed. it is just there to catch metal shaving so that they wont re-circulate with the fulid. there is no gauze or absorbent property to the filter so changing it wouldnt really do much for your tranny. if you have a lot of metal shavings resting on it, you should either stop driving the way you are or just flush it all out. very simple

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
My IS has 280k miles. My pan has a slow leak and plan to fix it. Do i really need to change the filter, or can i just clean it. With this many miles, will cleaning it be just as effective as buying a new one? Just need info, since i plan to buy other stuff tomorrow.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
aight, im afraid on what i will find when i pull it. Is it just screwed in, or how is it mounted?

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Toyota Type IV. I been doing regular drain and fill every 30-50k miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading these posts, I have come to the conclusion that I will not change the filter after all. I've changed the fluid 3 times in the last 3 months and will change it 1 more time and call it good. Thanks to all for the posts on this topic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This filter was probably intended to be a lifetime filter to catch larger metal particles during "break-in". The magnets will catch the rest. Unless I had to take the pan down, I probably would not be tempted to replace the filter... I think they are about $50-60. I usually have the "\while I am here, might as well" mindset.... :LOL:

·
Registered
855 Posts

Its 4 bolts to change it once the pan is off, but yeah inside is just a metal gauze to stop chunks going through, definitely not a fine particle filter. I only changed mine as i had it apart to try simming the solenoid springs and adjust the pressure, i wouldn't have bothered otherwise. What i did find interesting was the amount of particles collected around the magnets, they were worth cleaning every so often.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
434 Posts
I soon will have mine apart again (just did the filter and fresh fluid 3k miles ago. To shim my accumulators and you the line pressure as well.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
434 Posts
View attachment 134982
Its 4 bolts to change it once the pan is off, but yeah inside is just a metal gauze to stop chunks going through, definitely not a fine particle filter. I only changed mine as i had it apart to try simming the solenoid springs and adjust the pressure, i wouldn't have bothered otherwise. What i did find interesting was the amount of particles collected around the magnets, they were worth cleaning every so often.
How does yours shift now? Do you notice a difference?

·
Registered
855 Posts
How does yours shift now? Do you notice a difference?
Lol, well . . . :sneaky:

There is a line pressure switch which was set to soft, so turning that up can definately feel it giving a little more push against the brake and gave a slight improvment on the 1-2 shift. It was my first time pulling the solenoid pack out of a car so TBH i was a bit paranoid about messing up, and needed to get it back together to drive the next day. I was only going to shim the springs, not use those rods as i am not holding any extra HP and still wanted a comfortable daily driver. But in the end i didnt have enough coins or washers to shim them much and all the shops were closed, so maybe only got about 5-6mm which made only a little difference to the shifts. In retrospect others that have done the shims are saying to do about 15mm from memory (if you search on here you will find some threads on it) so i should have gotten closer to that if i was more prepared. But it was a mission getting the pack back in by myself so i am not in a hurry to pull it off again.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
434 Posts
So you shimmed all gears 5-6mm? And raised line pressure to the max setting on that knob? Are the shifts harsh?

·
Registered
855 Posts
No its still pretty soft most of the time, it didnt make a whole lot of difference, the line pressure isnt that hard core even on the max setting so it shifts fine. You can only shim 3-5 from memory, so 1-2 is purely on line pressure adjustments. It does shift a little harder when you put the boot in, but not a whole lot with these little shims.

When i first got the car it used to shift pretty nice and hard, but after i did the first pan change of the trans oil it went to the softish Lexus feel. So i don't know what the previous owner had put in there but it definitely wasn't the recommended T-IV trans fluid.

Given that this same trans 650e is in the Altezza R200 3GSE (4 pot) and the Soarer 1UZ (v8) i have wondered what springs they have in those trannys and if any different would it be a good upgrade on the 2J iteration.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So, there is no gasket, correct? You use FIPG on the pan? I have been thinking of pulling mine just to clean the pan and the magnets, but have not.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
434 Posts
You can use silicone to seal it up. When I bought a transmission filter kit it came with a gasket, I used it and silicone.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts