Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what transmission and differential fluids Lexus dealerships use on our IS?

Is there any other brands that you guys would recommend?

Thanks~

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Use only the Toyota T-IV transmission fluid..nothing else. You can get it at the Toyota or Lexus dealer (its probably cheaper at the Toyota dealer). You will need to buy 3 quarts to change the transmission fluid. Don't forget to get a new drain plug gasket, and DO NOT overfill the transmission.

For the differential its not as crucial which brand you use. Just check the owners manual for the recommended weight. Any name brand fluid should work just fine. Its difficult to add the fluid into the differential. It would be helpful to get one of those pumps that screw onto the quart container so you can pump the fluid in with a hose. Make sure you can get the fill cap off before you drain the fluid from the differential.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
From the owner's manual:
Toyota Genuine ATF Type T-IV for the automatic transmission (and there's a notice that using any other ATF will mess up the tranny).

Multipurpose gear oil API GL-4 or GL-5 in a SAE 75W-90 weight for the manual transmission.

Hypoid gear oil API GL-5 for the differential in SAE 90 weight (or SAE 80W or SAE 80W-90 for temps below 0 degrees F.)

As to brand names used at the dealers for the manual trans & diff, I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Does anyone know how to change tranny fluid on 5sp?
Easy. It's just like the differential. Make sure the car is level on a lift or 4 jack stands. First remove the fill plug up on the side of the case, then the drain plug at the bottom. Put the drain plug back in after it's finished draining and refill with your favorite flavor of transmission juice (Mine's Red Line MT90 synthetic) untill it begins to over flow the fill hole. Put the filler plug back in and GO DRIVE!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know how often (miles) do we need to change transmission and differential fluids?

In the manual supplement, it states that to replace them "only if vehicle is operated primarliy while towin a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier." So if we don't use our cars in any of those activities, we won't ever need to change our transmission and differential fluid? Can someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Tycoon said:
Does anyone know how often (miles) do we need to change transmission and differential fluids?

In the manual supplement, it states that to replace them "only if vehicle is operated primarliy while towin a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier." So if we don't use our cars in any of those activities, we won't ever need to change our transmission and differential fluid? Can someone enlighten me?
Lexus says you should change both the differential and tranny fluid at 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wxman,

Thanks. Did you hear that from a tech or a salesperson? The owner's manual didn't specifically states it that way which is ambiguous.

Is there any downfall for replacing them too often (15,000)? Except the fact that it'll make your wallet thinner :lol:

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Tycoon said:
Wxman,

Thanks. Did you hear that from a tech or a salesperson? The owner's manual didn't specifically states it that way which is ambiguous.

Is there any downfall for replacing them too often (15,000)? Except the fact that it'll make your wallet thinner :lol:
I have the 30,000 service list in my car. I was trying to find out what they did at that check-up and they photocopied if for me.

I doubt changing it too often is possible.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know when installing an s/c for a car, do you need to drain out the oil, tranmission and differential?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.