Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would i have to do to my tranny for it to take 350 rwhp and 350 rwtq? i dont have the money for a 6 speed, ut dont want my tranny blowing up. thanks all

and is a hydraulic lift needed for a turbo install? my uncle has one in his garage but also has a lot of junk around it and is too busy to clean it out so i will have to if i want to use it.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
SeXiLeXi said:
what would i have to do to my tranny for it to take 350 rwhp and 350 rwtq? i dont have the money for a 6 speed, ut dont want my tranny blowing up. thanks all

and is a hydraulic lift needed for a turbo install? my uncle has one in his garage but also has a lot of junk around it and is too busy to clean it out so i will have to if i want to use it.
The stock 5 speed should be able to take that amount of power without any problems. It's recommended to upgrade the clutch though. There are a few members that did the install themselves without a hydraulic lift. Look at the pics mattsi posted.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
bump. i also have another question. I have been looking at few routes to take in going turbo. Say i was going to go PFS stage 2, there are a few members on this board who have blown their trannys using the stage 2 not to mention a few that have gone bad on a stock car. My question is if i don't want to throw down the money for a getrag is the only other option to go the r154? or is there a way to "beef" up the stock tranny so it can take more power? thanks

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Shiznit said:
bump. i also have another question. I have been looking at few routes to take in going turbo. Say i was going to go PFS stage 2, there are a few members on this board who have blown their trannys using the stage 2 not to mention a few that have gone bad on a stock car. My question is if i don't want to throw down the money for a getrag is the only other option to go the r154? or is there a way to "beef" up the stock tranny so it can take more power? thanks
i'm no expert by any means but here's my thought...

*someone please correct me if i'm wrong*

my guess is that while it is possible to have the stock transmission rebuilt to handle 400+rwhp from pfs stage 2; with the money that you spend, you'll be better off to opt for r154 instead.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
O3 said:
Shiznit said:
i'm no expert by any means but here's my thought...

*someone please correct me if i'm wrong*

my guess is that while it is possible to have the stock transmission rebuilt to handle 400+rwhp from pfs stage 2; with the money that you spend, you'll be better off to opt for r154 instead.
There are no parts to strengthen the W55 as of yet. And the R154 swap is a definite possibility.

BTW, I really wish I had a lift during my install, but it can be done in a driveway on jackstands :wink:

Take the effort and clean up around the lift, it will be well worth it!!!!

Kane

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
You could always go with a built auto tranny if you pop your 5-speed

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
350 rwtq shouldn't be a problem. All of the stock 5 speeds that have broken that I'm aware of broke with 400 lb/ft or more of torque at the wheels. I've had many customers with 320 to 330 torque have no problems at all. So at 350, with a street clutch you should be ok.

Jeff

·
Registered
840 Posts
Is that mean r154 swap or go with turbo stage 2? I have 5 speed also, and don't know how much should I expect to spend for that output, 350 rwhp.
thank's!

ceto

1 - 9 of 9 Posts