Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Lexus of Seattle. I hate that place... dunno why I keep going there.
Anyways...

Anyways, I just wanted to confirm:
1) this is a 2 part fix right? Trac module replacement, and a flash upgrade of the engine/tranny ecu.

2) this doesn't make things worse... in terms of hesitation, shifting quality (firm is good, harsh is bad).

That was for the general public... venting begins below.

the dood in a jumper suit, I suppose a tech., kept on telling me that this "supposed" fix is going to make cars drive worse and shift harsher, etc. And then proceeded to have a "conversation" within a few feet of me with a service dude telling him that it made his own IS drive harsher. I had to listen to my own service guy, so I tuned out for a moment. A few moments later... I hear the conclusion of the conversation. "Why did Lexus even put out this fix, if it makes things worse?"

Maaaaaan! Does he think I'm an idiot? They even tried to make me go for a test drive to see if I can replicate it for them!!!

He also tried to tell me that this reprogram won't fix transmission hesitation problems... only TRAC stuff. Then he later try to tell me that they're only doing an upgrade of the Engine ECU with control both the TRAC and Tranny functions... not both, but just a single fix. (This is when I asked him if this involved a two part fix: tranny ECU upgrade and TRAC replacement)

Throughout this entire ordeal, he kept on telling me that it can't go back to "normal". WTF!? I don't want to go back to tranny hesitation problems. He was trying to confuse me the whole time... but was only confusing himself I guess. I think he must go to clublexus.com, because he mentioned it when he said that a lot of people on that forum were really dissatisfied with the fixes... and wished they never did it. (BTW: I went to the forum and didn't find any postings like that.)

AHhhh!! Sorry to vent. I guess the message above was only for me.

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: DJ ]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ooh forgot to mention: Lexus of Tacoma is aware of both fixes. They currently have the TRAC modules, but are awaiting for the software to do the update of the ECU. I have not checked with Lexus of Bellevue, but they might be on the same wagon...

DZ

·
Registered
200 Posts
Had a little contretemps with LoT. Here's the short version:
I went to their website>service>appointments. Told them I wanted the fix on both and cited the service bulletin number (this was right after the release, may 17).
No response.
I emailed GM complaining that service didn't respond:

email to Lexus of Tacoma 5/22/01 at 9:00pm

I emailed service using the form on your service page one week ago.
I have yet to receive a reply.
I requested:
ECU/TRAC update per Lexus Technical Information Service Bulletin (TSIB EG003-01)
recheck driver hinge pin

I requested a service on the dates 5/26, 5/28 at any time. As my request was made a week ago, I expect Lexus of Tacoma to honor the dates I requested.
I am a member of IS300.net and your attention to this matter or lack thereof will be posted on this website.
I'm hoping this was simply a clerical error.

No response on 5/23 and 5/24 after business hours

email to [email protected] on 5/24 at 10:35pm

Mr. Xxxx,
This is an extremely frustrating situation. I requested a service appointment via email for the ECU/TRAC upgrades to my IS300 on May 17. I have yet to receive a reply from your service department.
On May 22 I sent the following email to your customer service center:

I emailed service using the form on your service page one week ago.
I have yet to receive a reply.
I requested:
ECU/TRAC update per Lexus Technical Information Service Bulletin (TSIB EG003-01)
recheck driver hinge pin

I requested a service on the dates 5/26, 5/28 at any time. As my request was made a week ago, I expect Lexus of Tacoma to honor the dates I requested.
I am a member of IS300.net and your attention to this matter or lack thereof will be posted on this website.
I'm hoping this was simply a clerical error.

As of May 24 at 10:35pm I have yet to receive ANY response from your dealership. I hope that you will be able to rectify this misunderstanding.

Sincerely,

Luc

Member:
IS300.net
clublexus.com

Then a followup email to lexus corporate (from the lexus.com site, owners area) right after I sent the above email:

I prefer email to communicate with my dealer. On May 17 I emailed a request for service for which I have yet to receive a reply.
I emailed the general manager on May 22, outlining my frustration at not receiving a response from his service department.
It is now almost May 25 (10:45pm PST) and I STILL have not received any correspondence from my dealer.

Info:
Vehicle: IS300 July '00 manufacture
Dealer: Lexus of Tacoma, Fife, WA.
Service request: ECU/TRAC update (based on the manufacture date)

I have exprienced transmission hesitation to the point of HALTING under certain circumstances--usually when the traction control is engaged (which is frequent on the rain-slick roads of Washington). I would like to update the ECU/Trac (per your Technical Service Information Bulletin: TSIB EG003-01) as soon as possible, since this is a safety issue.

I appreciate your help in this matter.

Sincerely,
Luc

Member:
IS300.net
clublexus.com

The confirmation of receipt from Lexus corporate:

Your question has been submitted...
Thank you for Contacting Lexus. Your question has been received.

Mr. Xxxx sent me an email the very next day:

I understand your frustration, however I have checked our previous logs and they have no record of your emails. I am not questioning whether you sent the email, but what address did you use. We check our email every morning and afternoon and print the logs. I would love to accomadate you with your request for an appointment on the those dates, but our service department is closed for the Memorial day weekend. This is one of 6 holiday weekends my employees receive. Our TIS system is currently being repaired by Dealer Daily Network and should hopefully be up by the end of this month. I would love to help you and we

·
11,062 Posts
I'm on the waiting list for the upgrade. I have to go in on Saturday anyway...new door hinge. So, I guess I'll find out how they are coming with making the arrangements for installing the ECU fix. Last I heard from Brian in the service department is that they were still trying to get it to work and they were going to "experiment" on an IS300 owned by one of the office gals. (Lucky her...)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the fix is done... and yes, it was a two-part fix. The TRAC unit was replaced, while the Engine ECU (which controls the Tranny functions) was reprogrammed. I am sure the BS they gave me was to try to scare me away from the fix until they could get more of the TRAC units in stock. I have no idea whatsoever how they could interpret the effects of the update/replacement as "harsh". It feels great. Shifts are firm... but definitely not harsh. I think it fits the character of the car rather well.

(I opened the hood and also noticed the sticker indicating that an authorized update has taken place.)

Oh yeah... when I was leaving, the service consultant was being REALLY nice. He even pulled out my car for me rather than calling a lot dude to do it. When I was getting into my car, he said "I hope you will enjoy the updates to your car." And when I tried to confirm that it was a two-part upgrade... he was actually answering clearly and with some semblance of knowledge. This was definitely not there in the morning.

Here's hoping you people don't get jerked around.

[ May 30, 2001: Message edited by: DJ ]

·
Registered
152 Posts
yup.. thats what fremont lexus's master tech Monte said to me. that there is no turning back. as far as i know. u can always go back as long as you have the old ROM data and save it as a bin data file format in case of a power failure. very similar to a systemboard BIOS. they ordered the parts (two part) for the fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
jayrey300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing