Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've been noticing this with my car lately, and more so now since I have exhaust, I can hear the note of the engine more clearly. What happens is this:

I'll be on the interstate, doing like 75, holding it there, and I'll lightly push down on the gas to speed up to 80, without dropping down to 4th gear.... my rpms will go to about 3300, and then drop down to like 3100.... so it sounds like this, pardon my description....

waaahhhhhhh...... wuuhhhhhhhhh.... and it almost sounds like the tranny doesn't know what it's doing or something. I wonder if all E-Shift's do this. Any ideas?

I know it's not dropping to 4th and then shifting down to 5th. The car will also do this in 4th gear... say I keep it in 4th with E-Shift. 75 accelerating to 80 will run like 3600, then "wuhhhhh" down to 3400ish.

It freaks me out. Happens at all high speeds. Like I hit the gas and the tranny slips then sets itself in at a lower rpm.

PLEASE advise. It's making me go crazy :crazy: :crazy: Thanks!

·
Twisties Addict
12,063 Posts
ummm i dunno ..i dont think i have ever noticed anything like that, Dave.

but i ahev been noticing sometimes when i first start the car cold....that it maybe slips every once in awhile....but very minor!

NOW GIVE ME your DOT! :lol:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Willy I'm gonna ask the dealer when it's in for oil change. You'll have to hear this and see what you think. It's best described, when accelerating lightly at cruising speeds...

waaahhhh.... wwuuuhhhhhh.... You can't hear it as much as you can see it. E-Shift people watch your tachs the next time you're on the highway, tap it up 5-10mph and see if your car does this.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmess said:
Sound like it could be the torque converter unlocking then locking. Sorta like an over drive.
I agree. But it's not a 5th gear overdrive only problem. It's an all over problem. It may be the way it's supposed to be. I just haven't noticed it as much before the apparent shift in the exhaust note.

·
1,717 Posts
jmess said:
Sound like it could be the torque converter unlocking then locking. Sorta like an over drive.
This is exactly what it is doing. no need to go to the dealer un less the car starts falling out when the lock up is applied as then the converter needs replacing. but what you are discribing is normal most people just don't notice it

Henry

and 50 dots for you jmess for the fast responce

·
1,717 Posts
davefisher said:
Willy I'm gonna ask the dealer when it's in for oil change. You'll have to hear this and see what you think. It's best described, when accelerating lightly at cruising speeds...

waaahhhh.... wwuuuhhhhhh.... You can't hear it as much as you can see it. E-Shift people watch your tachs the next time you're on the highway, tap it up 5-10mph and see if your car does this.
lock up will apply at any speed when the car speed and tranny pressures are held constent. it is a function in the converter to help on gas milage it will also do this if you are crusing and let off the gas a little :wink:

·
Registered
101 Posts
yeah, as long as it doesnt start slipping when you put it in drive in first gear. mine did that and next thing i know, new tranny in my car. oh well, replaced under warranty

·
8,743 Posts
I may have noticed this once or twice, not as bad as you describe though....

The eshift is a little stuborn in the morning too ( not only when its cold, it did it in the summer too). But when i leave in the morning, for the first few miles, if i stop, then go, the tranny seems to slip for a second and almost stutters. Its not bad, and goes away after like 3 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.