Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting off from a dead stop my transmission (auto) seems to hesitate I guess would be the best to describe it unless its in "sport" mode, and it gets worse on any type of hill. Its almost like it slips then catches and kind of jerks your neck, not that severe but just to give you an idea.

I was wondering if this is just something with the tranny itself or if my tranny fluid is in need of a change. If that is it, what type do you reccommend? Im guessing it is just the fluid but due to being broke I dont want to waste the money if its not it. Its a 02, all stock. Thanks!

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for about 5-7 mins. My car was shifting jerky too, but after that my car shifted smoothly. I found out that info by doing a search....It will be your greatest weapon on this board!!!! Also get a transmission ASAP!!!!!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I've experienced times where the car seemed hesitant to take off as well. For me.. turning off the Traction Control stopped that problem. Seems like it was impeding my launches.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
After some "testing"... I would like you to CONFIRM that the Traction Control is off when you do you launches. I just tried accelerating hard from a near stop... and the car hesitated a lot before moving off. I looked down at the instrument panel to see the traction control light briefly flashing. I turned it off... and the car flew like a rocket!

·
Registered
178 Posts
My car occassionally does this, specifically right after I make a turn and traction turns on. Usually when I hit 4 or 5rpms the transmission will seem to "slip" or "hesitate" and then it catches and gives you the whipping effect...

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Clean your MAF. reset ecu.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pope said:
Does this happen when you get on the gas? It hesistates for a second then lunges forward?
Yes, from a dead stop.

I will try resetting my ECU. Is the radio going to throw a code if I reset it? Or any other quirky thing I will have to worry about

I will also try with traction control off. That thing has almost gotten me in accidents when trying to start off fast. Ill get going then bam, it stops me and cars come up quick! Thanks for the help

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
jonw757 said:
Yes, from a dead stop.

I will try resetting my ECU. Is the radio going to throw a code if I reset it? Or any other quirky thing I will have to worry about

I will also try with traction control off. That thing has almost gotten me in accidents when trying to start off fast. Ill get going then bam, it stops me and cars come up quick! Thanks for the help
It wont through a radio code, you will just have to set your radio stations again...

·
Registered
39 Posts
my IS stalls when i step hard on the gas to. i am going to look into cleaning my maf sensor and resetting my ecu. everyone says that it works and everyone thats done it says it works as well

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
pswnam said:
my IS stalls when i step hard on the gas to. i am going to look into cleaning my maf sensor and resetting my ecu. everyone says that it works and everyone thats done it says it works as well
Do you have an after market air filter or air intake?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts