Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, been checking out the site for the past few days. Looked at an is300 a couple of years ago, but things just didn't work out then. So now that things look like they will work out right I'm probably going to be trading in my RSX-S for an 04 is3.

So here goes, well I've known about how the is3 is a good platform to modify off of as far as FI goes. Well looking around there seems to be only one major weakness, and that is the stock transmission. While I have searched and looked through many threads I still am not sure on a couple of things.

1) Does anyone have a true ballpark range on a v160? I've seen 10k pop up a few times, but they don't reveal a source. I'd rather not spend 10k on the transmission.

2) Are there any Upgraded Auto options that are proven for over 600 rwhp? Of course I don't expect to come in and make that much hp off the bat, but it is nice to have goals... and a drivetrain to handle those goals. I've seen L10(and mixed reviews), Toyomoto(some good reviews, but again at the power levels I'd like to eventually achieve within a year or so, the one car that had over 600 rwhp , the tranny didn't hold up?), and I think there was another company but it slips my mind at the moment.

So if you guys wouldn't mind helping a newb out with some information, or some links it would be much appreciated, thanks. Oh yea, once again I did already search and couldn't find any definite answers.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm bored today at work and no one is here so here goes.

Stock auto tranny can hold up to about 350-400 rwhp but a valve body upgrade would be recommended to try and fix the problem with the car bouncing off at redline.

Stock manual (w55) is a POS but can hold up to 300 rwhp, anything over that you should start saving just in case (only exception to the rule is wxman, he's just got a crazy tranny (unless PHR did some work on the tranny we don't know about :wink: )

w58, r154 the w58 will hold more power but not much more and the r154 was used for the MK III turbo supras and can hold quite a bit of power and will probably save you about $2-3K compared to the v160.

V160 is the big daddy and is virtually indestructible and $10K is about the norm in price.

So if you want a manual IS300 and plan on FI, start saving up for a tranny also cuz it would suck to have that car sit in the driveway/garage for months while you try to save up money for a new tranny.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The tranny in my car (auto) has held up at 500rwhp. I don't think that's the "weak" point. If you want 600rwhp, you'll need to build up your motor as the stock motor seems to start breaking around 350-400rwhp (I've heard through the rumor mill that the new motors ('02-'04) don't hold up as well as the '01 motors. Anyhow, be prepard to drop another $2-3k on that, at least.

I'll let you know if the tranny holds up at 600+rwhp in a couple of weeks, as I should be pushing at least that.

Like DL said, if you want something tried and true, which is nearly impossible to "break", then get the getrag. It's been used in supra's at up to, and over I believe, 1200rwhp. I doubt you would break that tranny. Almost all of the various tuner's have a price listed for that swap and it runs anywhere from $9000-12000.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks much for the info, and yes I do plan on building up the engine. If I'm feeling lazy I'll swap in a supra TT block, but... the way I see it, the IS block is very stout, no use in wasting a good block. Not sure if it would cost me 3,000 though, keep in mind I'll be doing all of my own installs. Only work on the car that won't happen is if any bodywork is done(although If I mini tub I think I can handle that on my own... but fender flares to accomidate wider wheels etc... the molding I'll let a shop handle).

Basically it is looking like I'll be going v160... ahh well, I'm sure I could manage to break one, but I'll try not to... heh.

While we are on the subject how stout are the stock rear ends or supra rear ends?... 600+ rwhp+ slicks=rear end no likey, so if there has to be some custom fab done.... ford 9 inch comes to mind... mwahaha. Ok ok... damn I'm gonna be poor after this car.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
if you are trying to do that yourself, you'd better be a good fabricator, full welding skills and all, else you won't be the only one doing work on your car, you'll be paying someone to put that stuff in. none of that stuff just bolts in

-gte

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can actually weld well, but I stand corrected, they will have to fabricate the pieces, I'll be damned if they put the bolts in! Hah.

I dunno, just I guess a pet peve. You know I want to be able to say I did the work on the car, and I didn't pay someone to tune it, install stereo equipment, install engine modifications etc. They'll fabricate but I'll install it dammit! haha.

Seriously though guys, thanks for the information it is much appreciated. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.