Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had the TSB service done for the slave master cylinder for our manual trannys, and that did not fix the noise problem when the clutch was not pressed. So, I took it back in and the dealer spoke with a rep and they decided to shim the throwout bearing, I don't know how the shimmed it, but it seemed to have worked. I have been driving on it for about a week now with no problem, also, I do not get the thud noise anymore, now to my question, could the throwout bearing be causing the thud noise if it was faulty? If there was slack in the driveline, could that have been caused by the throwout/pilot bearing? I still have not heard it, and the tranny seems to be a lot smoother as well.

Chris

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Someone fix this if i'm wrong, but shouldn't the throwout bearing should make a continuous noise. It should be more of a squeaking sound...

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had that noise, the shim seemed to have fixed it, but also, I do not get the thud any more, I wanted to see if the two were related. It is not the change in oil, I had the oil changed when they did the slave master cylinder and it still had the thud, after the shim, it was gone.

·
8,880 Posts
Wow. It was discussed before and the conclusion was that the "THUD" noise was not fixable. :eek: It would be nice to know what exactly was done to fix it. :-?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, that is why I posted it, I wanted to get some feedback from some of the knowledgeable people on trannies and see what they think. I was told that I was the first one to attempt this fix, but I did not know if would fix both problems, if you conisider the thud noise a problem.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does do that, but the fix my dealership performed fixed that, but also, I do not have the THUD sound that the manual trannys make anymore.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Thanks. Just checking my memory. The last throwout bearing problem I had was on a 1951 Plymouth. It went "tinkle tinkle" when the clutch was depressed. :)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts