Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the IS300/lexus area but not to cars.

heres the issue i have:

car is a 2001 Lexus IS300, E-shift (auto) with 73,000

i just recently purchased the car in july. i have a 30,000 mile extended warranty. car has an AEM cold air intake on it (was on the car when i got it) it will get hung up in 4th gear. basically it wont shift into 5th. you can help its sometimes with the gas, but sometimes you have to switch to manual mode and help it. any ideas? i took it to the dealer today actually for a service, mentioned the problem and they said it was from the intake. (im @ UTI/NTI) i know that there isnt any real possible way that the intake has anything to do with the tranny. (i dont think) anyways, im working on getting it taken care of (being im in school and all) and the warranty will be honored one way or another. (i bought the car and warranty with the intake.... so they will warranty it as they sold it) the car isnt throwing any codes.

i have been doing some searching and i was reading about an update of some sort. anyways. if anyone has any advise/comments please let me know.

thanks again

-K

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, thats what i said. it happens after the car gets hot. im not worried because i was issued the warranty with the intake on the car and it shall be honored one way or another.

just curious as to what the issue might be. i know its not related to the Air intake but dont really know what to tell them. its not throwing any codes. im meeting with the service advisor @ the dealership where i bought the car from on friday so i can see where we go from there

·
Registered
26 Posts
i am having a similar problem as well...here is my post

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=267387

i ll keep ya updated when i go to the dealer next week...i have bone stock car and mine is doing the same thing, it has nothing to do with the intake at all... i more thinking it has either something to do with the solenoids on the trans, or something internal like the bands...mine seems to have the same problem as the o/d gear gets stuck from 4th to 5th gear and doesnt shift right away, and then slips into the 5th gear and kinda surges the car, unless you give it more gas..my old 01 is300 i sold a while back had about the same miles and had many mods on it and never had a shift problem at all...

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
lilrich75 said:
what do you do if your car is out of warranty??
be prepared to pull out you wallet and drop a stack of bills :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
update on my car..i brought it to the dealer and they did the reprogram...but it is still doing the same thing..they have now ordered me a new ecu for the car and i have to go back this thursday the 13th ..keep ya posted...

tony

·
Registered
26 Posts
well guys to let you know that the new ecu they ordered and install for me a few weeks ago did absolutly nothing...it is doing the exact same things as i stated above..so i guess the guy was full of shit when he said it was a common problem and its for sure an electrical problem...i think it is the solenoids, or the valve body..hell at this point it might be something internally wrong with the trans, but it is not the ecu...i am calling them again in the morning 10-31-05 to talk to the service manager to see what is next for them to try since they dont know exaclty wtf it is..keep ya posted...

tony

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
if they cant fix it, wouldnt it be considered a lemon and they would have to refund your money or give you a new is??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well guys they(lexus) final got it right...it was a bad mass air flow meter....this was causing the car to bogg sending the ecu the wrong signal for the transmission to shift.. and OMFG,the car is like night and day from before!!i told my fiance that i was gonna drive it like i stole it right off the lot... i pulled and looked at the car so anxious to get in it and test drive it..well to say the least as soon as i started the car for some strange reason i was like,its finally fixed, i could just tell....i pulled out the parking lot after letting the car warm up...i nailed it out the p-lot and got sideways for about 40ft...i was like, ooh yea the beast is finally back...Man i am so stoked to have the car back and to have it run the way it should run and shift the way it shoould...before leaving mobile,alabama i ran around town trying to make it mess up and mis-shift or hesitate on the gas in between the gears..it never missed a beat!! Props to lexus for finally getting it right and fixed after 3 trips from pensacola florida....i was afraid to start modding the car before then except silent stealth cold air tube i have with the k/n drop in..., but now it is so on,i came home and ordered some headers,downpipe, and hotchikis springs..so for all you guys that followed this thread, thanks and this is finally a happy ending!!!

if you have any questions,please pm me....i m be glad help you out if you are having similar problems....i ll try to tell you what to say to the pesky service advisors if you are having issues...oh btw all my work is covered under the factory warranty...

·
Registered
656 Posts
pinoyballah said:
if they cant fix it, wouldnt it be considered a lemon and they would have to refund your money or give you a new is??
No, only on a new car, and usually you have to bring in the new car four times for the same problem. No recourse. The buyer has to check the car over carefully when buying used. At least there is a warranty still.

·
11,061 Posts
Whew! I'm glad that's fixed. We all want happy, healthy little ISs!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts