Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you hardcore autoxer's, what do you recommend in terms of replacing the transmission fluid (manual) and differential oil, and motor oil, change interval-wise? Do you guys/gals replace fluids after 1 autox session? 2? Does your drain interval differ from factory? FWIW, I do not baby the car for daily driving.

After 3800 miles on the car, I am not yet ready to go synthetic just yet. At 10k I will change probably to NEO, or other ester-based syns. For now, dino oil will suit just fine.

Any response will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Definately change the diff fluid when you can. I drained mine at 5k and was suprised how burnt smelling it was. I used redline and have had no problems with it. I also went with a synthetic manual tranny fluid. It makes the shifting a little smoother.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave said:
Definately change the diff fluid when you can. I drained mine at 5k and was suprised how burnt smelling it was. I used redline and have had no problems with it. I also went with a synthetic manual tranny fluid. It makes the shifting a little smoother.
Thanks for your response. Once I hit 5k miles I will replace and replenish the diff & tranny fluid. It remains what to be seen on what I will replace it with, syn. or the regular stuff.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally gave in and changed my manual tranny fluid and diff fluid today (@ 5000 miles). I ended up using Valvoline 80w-90 gear oil for the rear differential and using Redline MT90 (GL-4) for the tranny.

I spoke with the mechanic (who works on Nissan, Toyota, and Honda and speaks primarily in Japanese) I go to and he said that the tranny fluid and diff. fluid have to be changed after the 1k break-in. That 30k miles that Lexus indicates applies after the 1k mark. All the Altezzas and other Toyota RWD cars in Japan all follow this regimen. After showing me the factory diff. and tranny fluid I can see why it needed to be changed. Very dirty.

Results? Shifts are crisp as butter. Notchyness/slight grind are reduced.

Take this FWIW.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
thanks for the update. I definately recomend more often service intervals when autoX'ing or tracking the car. For the LSD use 75w90 Gear Oil linkage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts