Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my '08 IS350 in the next day or two, and the different wheel width in the back is bugging me. I drive 60 miles a day to/from work, and I really don't want to put a set of tires on this car every year.

Let's say you arranged to trade wheels with another IS owner so that you would both have 4 identical wheels on your car (i.e. I give you my 18x8.5's for your 18x8's). What potential problems would you guys see with this?

My previous car (Scion tC) came with 18-inch wheels, and after the initial set of "sports car" i.e. only-last-20K-miles tires, I went to the tire place and got creative. I went up from 225x40's to 235x40's and hit the sweet spot where the tire price dropped substantially and the tire selection increased significantly. I put 60K mile road tires on it and didn't really miss the sporty handling that much.

Besides driving the car conservatively (which I plan to do), what kinds of options do I have to make the tires on this car last longer?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Tje big problem will be that your rear wheels will not fit properly in the front of his car.

That's why Lexus doesn't just put 4 of those rear wheels on the car (which would certainly save Lexus money)

Just drive the "free" tires that come with the car, and when they die put some nice touring tires on the wheels.

If you're driving conservatively anyway, and keep your alignment up, you're not losing much being unable to rotate tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts