Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i know this subject has been discussed many times and i understand that its better to trade in my auto for a new manual. I currently have 2003 onyx IS300 with about 4500miles on it and financing with the lexus company. Would i be able to trade in my car for a manual without paying any extra money and just continue the financing for the manual?

I do not know how these things work. Not even sure if i am allowed to trade in while financing.

Please give me some advice, i really want the manual.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
You will take a loss for the trade in, you already have 4500 miles on it, so it is probably worth about 27 grand. You can probalby get a fully loaded manual for around 31.5, which I did, with nav. I traded in my 01 for an 02 and lost about 4 grand what I put into it, I got 27 for it, it had 10K on it and I owed what they gave me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Trading in your '03 for a new car is a big mistake. You will take a $5-$6k hit right off the bat and then another hit when you drive the new car off the lot. The only way to go about this is to do one of two things:

1. Sell your car and purchase a manual (new or pre-owned)
2. Trade in your car for a pre-owned (still take a hit, but smaller)

Also, you may NOT want to trade in the auto at all... if you are considering going with a turbo in the future, then unless you want to drop down an extra $8-$10k on a 6-speed swap, you're better off with the auto tranny. I went through the exact same thing and Lance at Toyomoto as well as Peter at PFS both advised me to stay with the auto due to it's better power handling capabilities.

Good luck.

·
Registered
941 Posts
don't do it!

you will loose a good 5 grand in just taxes and other crap fees. I recommend you drive it for at least a year and then trade it in.

The dealer will give you shit trade in value... just think about it.. they are getting in a used 2003 ... if other people see your car in the lot with ~4500 miles they will probably just want to get a new one... with little difference in price so the dealer will have a hard time selling it... that's why they will give you shit trade in value...

now if you wait a year, then you will get more money for your car, of course it will be less than now, but you won't get shafted on it's actual value.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't do it....oh wait, I did it. It was my first auto and I thought that if you have a Lexus it should be auto. I was bored with it after a couple months. If you can deal with the loss of $$$, and you really want the 5spd, then go for it. You might want to consider selling it yourself instead of trading it in. I know it's easier to drop it off at the dealer, but you can prob get $2-3k more selling privately. That's about how much more I got than what the dealers would give me on a trade in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it would not matter if i am financing it? I can still sell my car privately and then pay off the rest of the car with that money and then just finance a new one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it would not matter if i am financing it? I can still sell my car privately and then pay off the rest of the car with that money and then just finance a new one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i did a search on the 5spd manual and came up with a lot of people having problems with breakdown around 15k-30k miles. People recommend the 6spd since its more reliable. Would I be able to convert my auto to a 6spd manual (not with the turbo, just a regular 6spd manual)? If so, how much approximately would it cost

Thank you

·
Registered
807 Posts
turbo516 said:
i did a search on the 5spd manual and came up with a lot of people having problems with breakdown around 15k-30k miles. People recommend the 6spd since its more reliable. Would I be able to convert my auto to a 6spd manual (not with the turbo, just a regular 6spd manual)? If so, how much approximately would it cost

Thank you
If you don't mind me asking, why are you wanting the manual so badly? If you aren't going F/I, there is no reason to get the 6spd. The 6spd is ~$10k installed, so if you don't want to fork out a bunch of $$$ and don't have a ton of cash laying around, I wouldn't recommend it. It's not a cheap upgrade and would be pretty much useless without F/I. Also, the 6spd conversion can be done to an auto or 5speed, so you wouldn't have to trade in your car.

I haven't heard anything about the stock manuals failing after 15-30k miles on cars withough F/I. Maybe a couple manual owners could pipe up here and confirm or deny that theory. Even if it is true (which I don't think it is), there are workarounds for the weakness of the stock 5spd and the stock auto, but again you shouldn't need to worry about this unless you are going F/I with your car.

Between the depreciation of your current vehicle, the new sticker price of an new 5spd, tags, taxes, title, freight, all that good stuff, I'd imagine that this adventure to get a new 5spd instead of keeping your auto will cost you >$5-10k. It would probably be about the same price to get the 6spd swapped in or the stock trannies built up, but I really wouldn't recommend such significant modifications to the tranny unless you actually need it (> 500rwhp). Your engine will probably give out before the stock trannies(with appropriate upgrades) do.

A tranny swap + new car + turbo will probably cost you in the neighborhood of $15-30k+ without breaking a sweat. The turbo and s/c kits alone run ~$5k-$6k installed on the bottom rung. Some of the installs cost upwards of $20k, + the transmission + the new car + new safety equipment you will want to have :D. Just know it's a lot of money just to do the swap and if you don't already have the money aside for F/I or are planning on getting F/I, this would be a pretty much pointless conversion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts