Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 S4 6 speed and am thinking about trading it in for an IS300.
The main reasons are that the gas mileage is making me poor and I realized the car is very heavy and does not have the proper handling i want in my car. Should I do this in the first place. and if I do, should i wait for the next generation IS or just go with the current car??
Anyone who's driven an S4 or A4 and has an IS, is it a good move??
any opinions are welcome.
thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
It all depends on what you want...Are you planning to mod? I own a B6 A4 and the handling is much better than the b5 a4 and s4...I also have the 1.8T and am planning to purshase a stage 4 turbo kit (400 hp) this summer. The 1.8T is 3400 lbs, so while it still is heavy, it still weighs less than the S4 *edit. The IS is a great car, but try out the B6 before you make a final decision...

·
Registered
204 Posts
bobby d said:
The main reasons are that the gas mileage is making me poor and I realized the car is very heavy and does not have the proper handling i want in my car. Should I do this in the first place. and if I do, should i wait for the next generation IS or just go with the current car??
thanks
Depends on what you want... Having driven both, I think you'll find that you'll lose speed, but you'll gain a smoother powerband and better handling. Personally, I'd probably just get some good coilovers and suspension upgrades for the S4, you could easily make it outhandle the IS with a few thousand in upgrades and not lose any money in trade in.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My friend has an S4 Avant and I have an IS. The IS isn't going to save you any money on the gas mileage front. I like his S4 for the all-wheel drive and the interior. I like my IS for the handling and the reliability. Personally, I think that the only complaint problem w/the IS is the lack of hp (which u could change w/mods).

·
Registered
378 Posts
bobby d said:
thanks
If you aren't having any major problems with the S4, it's probably better to keep it for a couple of more years. I also wouldn't recommend buying an IS for its fuel economy, because it slurps more gas than some SUVs. :lol:

·
11,062 Posts
ha ha ha..if gas mileage is an issue, you don't want either of the cars.

·
Registered
535 Posts

keep the S4 , tho is older generation.. but still good ! :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
For the love of god!!! Don't do it!!! (especially since the IS won't save you gas) They're two different cars, make sure what the IS can offer is really worth it.

·
8,107 Posts
I have two friends who were total "S4 rules" believers, but after a few track events it becomes apparent that the S4 is not a driver's car. It's got such lifeless steering and no communication at all through the steering wheel, seat and pedals about what the tires are doing - it's like a driving simulator. Yes it's obscenely fast in a straight line, and handles well if you swap out the suspension and tires, but it'll never be what i'd call a fun drive, except when you're driving at insane and illegal speeds. I find the IS300 or certain previous gen BMWs (3 or 5 series) to be much more fun, and better handling, even though slower in a straight line.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
ckolsen said:
I have two friends who were total "S4 rules" believers, but after a few track events it becomes apparent that the S4 is not a driver's car. It's got such lifeless steering and no communication at all through the steering wheel, seat and pedals about what the tires are doing - it's like a driving simulator. Yes it's obscenely fast in a straight line, and handles well if you swap out the suspension and tires, but it'll never be what i'd call a fun drive, except when you're driving at insane and illegal speeds. I find the IS300 or certain previous gen BMWs (3 or 5 series) to be much more fun, and better handling, even though slower in a straight line.
I agree to some extent... ever get the IS300 sideways? it's like a rolling coffin. I hate the fact that the IS300 looses its rear end in hard turns :( I have driven other RWD cars that stick to the ground a little better than the IS300. All this IS300 is such a "handling" car is very subjective. I personally think its like an accident waiting to happen in the curves.

but thats just me... it's late and Im stuck at work.. so im pissed :bitching:

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
I agree to some extent... ever get the IS300 sideways? it's like a rolling coffin. I hate the fact that the IS300 looses its rear end in hard turns :( I have driven other RWD cars that stick to the ground a little better than the IS300. All this IS300 is such a "handling" car is very subjective. I personally think its like an accident waiting to happen in the curves.

but thats just me... it's late and Im stuck at work.. so im pissed :bitching:
but can you modify the suspension to a certain degree to prevent this from happening? :-? being stuck late at work really fuckin sucks ass do0d :bitching: :whine:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
25 Participants
IS300Blitz
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing