Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who only have a cold air intake or something similar this thread probably doesn't apply to you. If however, you've added signifigant power and find yourself desperate for traction, pay attention. After some initial modifications I decided on Bridgestone Potena RE71R's with a 225/45/17 up front and a 245/45/17 rear, 8" LS wheels. That particular tire is a 200 series tread wear and they did an admirable job for quite some time. After adding additional modifications and ending up with 547rwhp, the car was desperately struggling to hook up. There's a local Honda tuner here in Tulsa and every last one of those guys swears by the Toyo R888R (100 TW) so I decided to give it a go. I ended up with a 245/40/17 in the rear, as the whole world is out of the 255 at the moment, and a 235/40/17 up front which was a tad wider, but slightly smaller (circumference wise) than the 225/45/17, which is not available in the Toyo. I don't really know how to express my experience with words, as these tires totally freaking hook up! The day I got them mounted it was approximately 60 degrees here in Tulsa, and after a short little scrub in, I gave them everything the car has, and despite only 245mm out back, they would not break loose. If you have ample power, struggle for traction, don't want to have to fit a really big tire, and are not too concerned with the lifespan of the tire, then these are the ones. Her's a couple of pics of the setup, can't recommend these enough, as I'm literally blown away.

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do they do in the wet condition? I heard they kinda suck.
No idea, I never get the car out in the rain because then there's really no traction. If you got caught out and couldn't make it home without crashing it would probably be down to being too aggressive with the throttle.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
2,280 Posts
I have used these tires in two very different applications these tires on my CLS55 amg back when I had it. Hooked up very well with that car. Easily got the fat Benz into the low 11’s. That’s saying something for a positive displacement blower V8 making as much as 560 wheel torque way down @2,200 RPMS.

Second application is my current 240sx which is setup for grip but a very paltry 130 whp and maybe 140 torque. This tire absolutely GRABS onto the tarmac on track. The amount of speed I can carry through turns is remarkable. I used to run RT615K (also a great tire) but these 888 are great. Short of running a road race slick (which I use Hoosier A7) on different wheels, the Tripple eight is very good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts