Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to to set TRAC OFF as the default setting... Everytime I start up the IS the traction is engagaed automatically? help? I'd just like to use traction in the rain or bad weather or somn. Thanx!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I posted the same question a few weeks ago. The response I received was that for safety reasons Lexus wants the traction control always on when you start the engine unless you make a conscious decision to turn it off. They don't want drivers getting into accidents because they didn't remember to turn it on. Unfortunately, I've been told by people on this web site that there is nothing you can do about it. I couldn't hurt to ask Lexus directly.

ELS

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about that software TEG or someone spoke aboutto reprogram your ECU... ?? you know ... they said it can change the chime sound on your doors.. power windows up and down when it locks your car. etc. etc. with a click of the mouse. Maybe we can program it to be off at startup?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Is there a way to pull the TRAC fuse? The TRAC mod is one of the most common done to a Supra. Just pull the fuse and if you don't like it...pop the fuse back in! Easy mod, no?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by rarjoon:
Is there a way to to set TRAC OFF as the default setting... Everytime I start up the IS the traction is engagaed automatically? help? I'd just like to use traction in the rain or bad weather or somn. Thanx!
hmm... TRAC is good to have on, i had an interesting experience last week... it started raining and i had my trac off, came up to a traffic jam and decided to pull a Uturn at a light, turn the wheel left to lock then nailed the throttle, spun the car around like a top - once i started to spin, i kept my foot down hoping to make it completely around, but when i started to drift right towards the curb i had to ease off to correct it before i did any damage... so the moral of the story is... be glad that its on, and have to turn it off, ... especially for those use to driving FWD cars as the rear end on this car is easy to let loose when in slippery conditions...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by rarjoon:
My IS accelerates twice as strong with Trac OFF I dunno why? but it's true
'twice as fast' what do you mean? TRAC shouldn't affect acceleration in dry conditions (ie. sufficient grip).. in wet conditions TRAC should IMPROVE acceleration because it will reduce wheel spin...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I notice with Trac off the car seems faster. I'd rather it be on when I get in and start up. Even though my IS is only 7.5 0-60, after a couple of loose rear end turns and u turns, it has got my me kinda scared. Im the type that is not use to RWD. Last night it saves me from going from the off ramp lane to the on ramp lane of the parkway
Once it started to loose control in the rear, I felt the car just slow down like it was on a bungy cord. I had my eyes closed so I didn't see any slip light come on! Im learning lilttle by little about this car.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fishtail... I have Driven a BMW 540i and this IS feels just as strong off the line as that bimmer 8! If I turn the TracON it hesitates a bit, which is very annoying. All in all.. i recommend TRAC OFF unless it bad weather.. My car grips the road nice.. no "fishtails" around corners.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I drove my friend's 540i, and it is much faster than the IS. He was saying that he wants to race my car, but I saw no way. The 540 may not feel that fast, but if you look at the speedo, you will find out how fast the car is actually acclerating.
BTW, the owner of this 540 is a hardcore BMW lover, but even he said that the IS is a very good car after he had gone to the IS300 performance event.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
Daniel
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing