Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an E-shift IS, and sometimes when I take a sharp turn in 2nd gear, my car loses control.

It happened again today, I was going about 5-10 mph then took a sharp right turn, and I wasn't even flooring my gas pedal; then the head of the car moved to the left, then to the right, then I gained back control. Btw, my TRAC was off.

What is causing this? Is this due to the setup of the stock suspension, or am I doing something wrong?

If it is due to the stock suspension, what can I do to make it better.

Thanks guys,

Thomas

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
My first suggestion is... if you want good traction... leave the traction control ON.

In regards to the situation you described... are you sure the car wasn't pushed into the corner too quickly causing it to over-steer... then you over-corrected causing the car to veer to the right... before bringing it back straight again?

My car is stock... and I don't have problems with the handling. Infact... the handling is the best thing about the IS300!

Have you done anything with your car at all? New wheels?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
It was probably due to Traction Control being off. I have taken a normal right hand turn at 30 mph before and the traction control light doesn't come on. Granted, I leave traction control on and don't do those turns in Manual mode. Try it again with traction control on and in drive and see what happens.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It sounds like you didnt brake into the turn, if you approach a turn like that and dont brake on the straight before the turn, you havent transferred any weight onto the front wheels to make them bite anymore then the back.

Then again it might be something as silly as tire pressure...have you checked it lately, or maybe that all to common, loose nut behind the steering wheel :p

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
anorexicpoodle said:
... or maybe that all to common, loose nut behind the steering wheel :p
I think that's it! ;)

I think something to remember is that this car is very torquey. Just because you don't floor the pedal doesn't mean you won't be able to brake traction. Especially if you start accelerating at the same moment you are turning.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, The IS300 is a rear-wheel drive car with enough power to break the rear wheels loose. If you turn the traction control off (I always do) you have to be prepared to steer with the gas pedal. The IS is very good for this.

I find that the trac light comes on at ridiculously slow cornering speeds and makes the handling squirrely. That's why I always disable the thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
mrmonster said:
If you drive on dry roads with TRAC ON you have no idea how to have fun :)

Actually, it's more entertaining to drive on wet roads with TRAC OFF. Back wheels snap around like nothing but the IS drives out of a skid with great enthusiasm.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Lmigliore said:
Actually, it's more entertaining to drive on wet roads with TRAC OFF. Back wheels snap around like nothing but the IS drives out of a skid with great enthusiasm.
I did that tonight, the roads were all wet, just turned Trac off and hit the gas, I didn't even have to give it lots of gas, the back wheels started spinning and off I went. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts