Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm a little confused on when to use traction control and when to leave it off and let the Limited Slip Differential kick in. If it's raining and the roads are slick, I would think to have the traction control on. Yet, from what I understand traction control disables (brakes) the wheel that's losing traction. If both back wheels lose traction at the same time I would think that the car would go into a skid. LSD (based on my understanding) enables (adds power) to the wheel that has traction therefore preventing a skid. So, do you need traction control when you have LSD? When do you use one, the other or both?

Also, on a related subject, don't you find it annoying that every time you start the engine you have to turn the traction control off? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

ELS

·
Registered
171 Posts
Traction control is a safety device. It electronically monitors wheelspin by applying brakes or reducing power. It prevents the rearend from breaking loose. Safety is always first. That's why default is "ON". Drifting or peeling out will be almost impossible.

Limited Slip Differential is for power distribution. It is a mechanical device which transfers power to the wheel that has the most traction. The car's power is not controlled by LSD. If enough power is applied beyond the traction of both rear tires, you will break loose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts