Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woo hoo! I'm the proud owner of a new 2004 GGP IS300 Manual.

I'm pretty satisfied with the is300 in general, but I'm trying to see if anyone might know the cause of a strange noise I hear once in a while. Sometimes when I'm turning, the Trac light turns on probably because i'm slipping. But everyone once in a while in addition to the Trac light turning on, I hear a strange scraping noise coming from the rear left wheel area. This happened a few times so far making either a left or right turn. I'm pretty sure it's not the sound of the tires against the pavement; sounds like friction between two metal parts which is pretty pronounced. I've already taken it to the dealer with no luck in reproducing the problem. Any input would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
thats proably the brakes trying to stop the wheels from spinning. All traction controll does is apply brakes to the wheel taht is spinning, and it also cuts out power, which I ahve found to be dangerous sometimes wehn you are pulling out kinda to close to an oncoming car, and you mash the throttle to get back on it after you slip, but the enigne wont give you the power you need to get the car going so you dont get rammed in the asshole

·
8,849 Posts
This is your traction control engaging. Pulstating braking is applied by the Traction control to the rear wheels to stop them from slipping, at the same time, engine throttle is decreased.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I agree that it is probably the brakes making noise when the traction control engages them. Does it sound like squeeky brakes?

another shot in the dark possibility is differential noise? That would come more from the center of the car though.... but I'm just tossing out an idea

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I think it is normal. When i have the traction control engaged and give it too much gas going around a corner, the trac light comes on, power decreases and I hear clicking/mechanical noises. It's most likely the ABS engaging and/or LSD. Mine never squeaks. It sounds like what you described.

To reproducing, take a turn in 2nd gear at a reasonable speed, MAKE SURE THE TRACTION CONTROL IS ON, and just floor it about a third of the way through the turn.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's the ABS. It kinda suprised me how loud it was and this is on a 400 mile car. It even states it in the owners manual as a "mechanical" clicking sound" or something to that effect. I noticed it yesterday and verified it when I stomped the brakes @ 5MPH on a patch of Ice. Sounds kinda odd...

Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts