Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oo, my first post.
I live in Toronto Canada and I have recently purchased the 2003 IS300 Premium package auto w. eshift. I thoroughly LOVE my car and enjoy driving it. This is however my first RWD car and I find difficulty w control and stability. Is it best to drive w traction control buttom and in manual mode in snowy and icey weather? I have Snow tires on but I really can't tell if they make any difference. My previous car was automatic and simple, a Toyota Paseo. I thought it was light and slid around a lot, but the IS is even worse in that sense. Any tips for better traction control? I realize jus touching the gas slightly gives a lot of power and could cause slippage. What if i find even goin slow and carefully causes the car to slide? how to recover if the car starts to loose traction. Are there any other drivers of the IS300 in Toronto or in a snowy city that experience this problem in the winter? The ABS seems to come on a lot more than expected even when I feel the car should respond without it. When the slippage icon shows up on the dash i hear an electronic buzzing sound. Is this the car automatically stabilizing? I suppose I could find this info in the manual, but I'd rather someone else tell me. I can't wait to drive this car in the summer tho.:cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
good tires make the biggest difference. I know you said you have new tires but they should be all season at a minimum. Snow tires will help dramatically. I'm using kumo all season and they seem to do well. I had perelli nero's and they were ok but the terrible tracking in grooved concrete made sure I won't buy them again.

As far as the traction control goes...my experience is that it is very good, except when you're getting stuck. Then you should turn it off or your car will try to apply brakes when your wheels spin and you won't get anywhere.

Snow feature just controls (lessens) throttle response so you don't spin tires too bad. I find it unnecessary.

I've had many snow/ice days in this car and at speed I find it to be pretty stable. But like i said, it's pretty much all tires...

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
There's also a Canadia forum down below in the regional section. Might want to chat with some of the guys in there since they probably have fought similar conditions. My rule of thumb is that if there's snow on the ground leave the Lex in the garage if at all possible. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
WEAK excuse hokie lol. I rock Michelin X-ICE and I love them! Other than getting going from a stop with my manual (I dont want to slip it TOO much) its great. I drive with absolute confidence.....almost like its not snowing!

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good tires make the biggest difference. I know you said you have new tires but they should be all season at a minimum. Snow tires will help dramatically. I'm using kumo all season and they seem to do well. I had perelli nero's and they were ok but the terrible tracking in grooved concrete made sure I won't buy them again.

As far as the traction control goes...my experience is that it is very good, except when you're getting stuck. Then you should turn it off or your car will try to apply brakes when your wheels spin and you won't get anywhere.

Snow feature just controls (lessens) throttle response so you don't spin tires too bad. I find it unnecessary.

I've had many snow/ice days in this car and at speed I find it to be pretty stable. But like i said, it's pretty much all tires...

Actually that was a typo i do have SNow tires on... but i still find a lot of slippage... I love this forum its a great way to communicate with the IS savvy individuals .. thanks for ur feedback

1 - 5 of 5 Posts