Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Test Mule/Parts Breaker
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wrote a quick listing of things to keep in mind at the track for another board I mod on & thought it would be good to share here. Enjoy.

Here's a few points to keep in mind & hopefully make your day (and others) a better day at the track.

Pit Area
**Keep it under 5mph at all times. There are people walking around in there.**

In the pit area cars actually have the right of way. This does not mean that you are allowed to run people over. It means that when you are walking around the pits you need to pay attention to the vehcles around you. Try to stay out of the way & help others from getting run over.

**Keep your pit space clean & organized.**

This will help you when you need to come in for a tire change or repair during the event. You'll be able to get to what you need and not waste time looking for tools, parts or space to work.

This will also help you clean up at the end of the event when it's time to go.

Technical Inspection
**Be ready!**

You will not be allowed to run until your tech sheet has been signed by an inspector.

No matter what type of event you are running in they have specific tech requirements. In all cases the information of what you need to be compliant with is available through the organizer (usually available on their websites). These requirements are for your safety. They care even if you don't.

Have your car and equipment ready for inspection. It's a good idea to give yourself a mock tech inspection before you get to the event to make sure you are prepared. It also saves alot of time for you and the inspectors at the event.

If you have any questions try to get them answered before the event. You don't want to get there and have to make a major repair or miss being able to run.

Drivers Meeting
**Be present. Don't interupt the Steward or Organizers. Ask Questions.**

There is very important information being relayed to you at a drivers meeting. If you're not there you may miss out on details that can make the event safer or more fun to be at.

Don't have side conversations or phonecalls during the meeting. This is very rude and will also lead to you missing important information.

Even if you have been to several events, pay attention! Sometimes things change, sometimes it nice just to be reminded of things you may have forgotten.

If you have any questions about the event or anything said at the meeting now is the time to ask. Go for it, just raise your hand, others may have the same question you have. It will help keep everyone there with the same information.

Course Workers
**See where they are. Obey them. Thank them.**

When you go out on course look for where the course workers are located. They relay critical information to you when you are on course. If you have an issue with something a course worker tells you, do not bother them, take it up with the Chief Steward.

They have views that you don't get to see while you are on course. They will let you know if you have a leak or other mechanical issue you may not be able to see while driving. They can see if you're missing body parts due to an impact with another object while on track.

If they tell you you have a leak, get out of the driving line and off track. It will be much safer for everyone there. It will also allow you to fix the issue hopefully before it becomes expensive.

The course workers are your guardian angels when you're on track. Trust what they tell you. They are trying to keep you and everyone else safe. When you finish your session let them know you appreciate this. A shout of thanks or a wave works great.

Driving
**Pay Attention**

You know your vehicle better than anyone else. If it's making a funny noise, stop & check it out. If something doesn't feel right stop & check it out. An extra couple minutes can save you alot of time & money.

If your vehicle is stalled or disabled on track stay in it with your seatbelts fastened. Course workers will come to you when it is safe.

If you come upon a stalled vehicle on track, slow in a controlled fashion and carefully manuver around them. Pay attention as to which way they may move.

If you have had an impact with a barrier, marker or off course excursion go back to the pits to inspect your vehicle. Make sure everything is intact before you return to course.

Ask Questions & Share Information

Ask questions & introduce yourself. Get to know someone at the event you didn't know already. Share information. You will meet people that have a wealth of information. In turn you will have information that may help them.

This last part will really make your event great.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Great post, should help first timers and knowledgeable drivers alike! Great read.

I think you should note that first time drivers should walk the course with more experienced drivers, the experienced drivers are always willing to share info about the course and autocrossing in general. Do not be scared to ask people for help if you are new or unsure of something, everyone at an autocross is willing to help out in any way that they can. Autocrosses in general are consistent of good people and good times!

·
Test Mule/Parts Breaker
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great post, should help first timers and knowledgeable drivers alike! Great read.

I think you should note that first time drivers should walk the course with more experienced drivers, the experienced drivers are always willing to share info about the course and autocrossing in general. Do not be scared to ask people for help if you are new or unsure of something, everyone at an autocross is willing to help out in any way that they can. Autocrosses in general are consistent of good people and good times!
That is also good info. :approve: One thing that seems to apply across the board is ask questions. Most people are willing to add their view on the event.

I tried to write this for any type of event (auto-x, drift, time attack, drag, etc.).

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just a quick note on drag-racing...

Courtesy staging, do not light both pre-staged and staged bulbs before your opponant has a chance to pre-stage.

If something on your car breaks, get out of the middle of the track, to the wall and wait. The track officials will appreciate you not dumping trans fluid down the whole 1/4 mile.

Don't expect to get away with safety in tech just because the last track may have missed something.

·
Banned
12,268 Posts
^ Just one thing to add:

Pay attention to the track official, WAIT for him to allow you to enter the waterbox (drive around if on street tires) and look at him again making sure it's OK to start your burnout.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I'd like to add as well that if you come upon a stalled or stopped vehicle, STOP COMPLETELY before you proceed around the car slowly. This will ensure that you get a re-run at a later point. Just about every event I've been to requires yo uto stop completely, wait for the corner workers to wave you on, then proceed.

·
Test Mule/Parts Breaker
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to add as well that if you come upon a stalled or stopped vehicle, STOP COMPLETELY before you proceed around the car slowly. This will ensure that you get a re-run at a later point. Just about every event I've been to requires yo uto stop completely, wait for the corner workers to wave you on, then proceed.
That's an autocross thing. It makes sense there with people running around without protection.

Most track/time attack stuff doesn't want you to stop on track unless you absolutely have to.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
That's an autocross thing. It makes sense there with people running around without protection.

Most track/time attack stuff doesn't want you to stop on track unless you absolutely have to.
Yea, looking back at my post, I was totally in auto-x mode. That's what happens when you haven't run at a road course in over a year because your car isn't complete. I keep satiated by doing auto-x's to hold me over.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Great info keep on posting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great stuff. My first driver meeting, I paid attention, all was good. My second drivers meeting, I thought nothings different, it's the same track...right? I was wrong flags changed, and I wasn't prepared for a flag I had not seen before. I went straight to the pits, to be re schooled. I was embarrased, but will pay attention from now on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts