Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this belongs in the race related forum, but more exposure is need on this one.

We are holding a Drift/Grip Driving Clinic on January 25th, 2003 (Saturday) at Thunderhill Raceway located in Willows, Northern California. If you heard all the raves about drifting and Initial-D, this is the real deal. The Clinic will focus on car control through drifting (extreme yaw angle/massive oversteer) or through grip technique that will be very beneficial in controlling a powerful RWD car like the IS. The seesions will be divided into beginner, intermediate and Advance group. Instructors will be available and they include seasoned race drivers such as Al Butterfield from NASA and 2001 Drift Day Champion Alex Phieffer.

The cost is extremely low at $100 :eek: .You will get more track time in one day than you will get all year in Auto-x, plus this is your chance to drive on a big track like Thunderhill.

If enough IS folks show up, we can get a meet going at the track and have a big BBQ. I will be there with my spec miata or IS, contact me if you are interested or got questions. Time to let the IS out to play.

[email protected]

Tommy

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
hey im gonna be racing there on the 14th of this month

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
willows, ca

Thunderhill is located right off HWY 5 near Willows, which is 20 minutes from chicos and 70 minutes from Sacramento. It has one of the best track layout, with altitude change, tight and wide open sweepers and crest turns.....you name it. Challenging and rewarding. The straight is long and you get up to 110 in an IS easily.

Tommy

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I might have to go to this! i was part of a pit crew for a vintage race series (SOVREN), and we hit that track back in 96'. It was pretty fun just being there all weekend. Never got to go around the track though.

Have they added the extension on before the front straight yet? I remember they were talking about it back then how it was supposed to add another .25 miles of length to the track.

I have a few people that may have to bring their cars to.

I need to learn to drift better in my e-shift. It's starting to get easier since the rear tires are starting to wear down a good bit.

Thanks for letting us know!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
sorry, no can go. school financial aide doesn't arive until january. and as all you students out there know financial aide = racing budget 8)

·
Registered
535 Posts

... 70 min from sac ?
this is too far for our So cali ppl..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
too bad...

Yeah, thunderhill is far from socal. But you guys got 2 pretty good tracks down there that's within 2.5 hours away.

Kanine21, let me know if you are interested and we can meet there. This even would be really fun and I am definitely looking forward to. I hope it rains so that drifting would be easier and tires will last longer!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Re: too bad...

stealth430 said:
Yeah, thunderhill is far from socal. But you guys got 2 pretty good tracks down there that's within 2.5 hours away.

Kanine21, let me know if you are interested and we can meet there. This even would be really fun and I am definitely looking forward to. I hope it rains so that drifting would be easier and tires will last longer!
Yeah, I'm 90% sure I'm going! I'm going to buy some nasty cheese tires for the drifting.

My cousin has a decent 89' 240sx with suspension, and he is the best drifter I've met. I've been in the car with him while he was talking on his cell, smoking a cigarette, shifting and drifting through a corner all at the same time! he MAN HANDLES that car!

He said he can't afford it, but I'm going to try and drag him down anyway.

Trying to get my nephew to go also. He's got a 94' 325iC, but he's only 17 and he doesn't know if he wants to yet.

I'll try to get some peep's to go so we can get a caravan going! LOL

Kane

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
can you post more details on the event??? how much track time will there be??? stuff like that...

also...who's organizing this event???

oh...and alex's last name is Pfieffer...he's a friend of mine from hawaii... :p

i can't believe you guys got thunderhill on a saturday...our motorcycle club have been trying to get a weekend for ages...

·
Registered
249 Posts
The organizer is Alex Pfiefer, I talked to him last night and he still at Hawaii till Wednesday I believe.

Heres a little bit of Info's
http://www.twelve100.com/Events Pages/BATTLE VERSION DRIFT CLINIC 1.htm

You'll probably have to email Alex for more info.
Not very sure on this and don't quote me.
He will have 4 Groups and the groups will be switching every 20-25 Minutes.
The Event will start at 9 Or so till 5PM. So for each run group Im shooting at 3 Hours or so. (thats a lot of time)

I've tried getting a Saturday at THunderhill too for another Drift Event this year but ALL booked till next year. Can you say "DAMN!".

See you all there.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
ahaha...i think you talked to alex right after i did...he was telling me that i should talk to you about getting more is300's out there or something...

yeah...he said he's coming back on wed...so i'll talk to him more about this later then... :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
everyone is welcomed

The event is focused on developing car control skills, getting time on the racetrack and being able to push to the limit in a safe fashion. Beginners are especially welcomed because as an organizer, it all starts at the root level. There are only so many experienced racers out there and they can't wait to share the excitement of spirited driving to everyone who is interested.

There will be seasoned instructors on hand for the beginners group. They will ride along with the driver or do a lead-follow. Check out the sign up site listed above for the schedule. If you have been waiting to put your car on the track, this is THE event to attend. Look at the price, at $125 it is unbeatable. Auto-x gets you 3-5 minutes of seat time for $25. This gets you 2-3 hours of seat time for $125. You do the math.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
MODIFIED TOYS
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing