Lexus IS Forum banner

TRAC Off... VDIM On

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sentinel 
#1 · (Edited)
I noticed that the new IS has a TRAC off button... however the VDIM cannot be turned off. I was wondering what benefit having the traction control off would have then? Because the whole purpose of the VDIM is to keep the car in a perfectly stable condition at all times... so what benefit would turning the traction control off have?

When I first got my IS300... I was concerned about how sometimes it wouldn't accelerate as aggressively as I wanted it to when coming out of corners... even when flooring the accelerator pedal. I later drove with the windows open and while driving aggressively heard the tires loosing traction for split seconds while pushing hard. So I turned the TRAC off and PRESTO... aggressive acceleration at all times! But with the new IS... even if I turned the TRAC off... wouldn't the VDIM still cut in to keep the car "stable"?

So what's the point of having a TRAC off button on the new IS?

#2 ·
Yes, there is a Trac Off button on the IS350 w/VDIM. I'm not sure how it works exactly either, but I will ask somebody.

What you're experiencing on the IS300 is the result of the traction control system reacting to wheel spin. It will dampen throttle input until the slippage stops. You're not being punished for aggressive acceleration, but for spinning the tires. If you want to slide the car in corners you must turn that off.

#3 ·
From one review, the trac will turn it self back on. LOL so i really dont know what the point is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.