Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all...

i got the trac/ecu update news on this board... thanks to MO... as soon i got the news... i have the print out showed to my dealer... they didnt played me around after i showed them the print out... they ordered the trac ecu back around may 30th... (wow! its gonna be 3 month soon!)... then i read up the post from BLACK_IS 300 (thanks!!!)... i called up the main lexus service center and reported my problems... well... guess what? got a call back from a lexus rep a day after i reported... this afternoon my local dealer parts manager called me... saying that the trac ecu will be here next week... he will set up an appointment for me when the part arrived...
while on the phone with the manager... he was like... oh oh i thought u are going to other dealer to get this service done... i was like NO!... the dealer is playing me around... then he told me that after i get this new trac ecu update then i cant go back if i dont like it... once its updated then it cant flash back... (i dont understand???) i explained the hesitation gear shifting problems to him... then he said yea he understands... but then the new update will not fix it all... "it will be bit harsh feelings too...."...
i wonder if the manager is lying to me...
can anyone confirm me if this is correct?
will the new trac ecu update be better or feel just about the same?

also...
i have the srt intake...
should i bring my intake in or remove it then go in for this update?
will they start to bitch at me?
then void my warranty or refuse to update?

btw... which lexus dealer did you take your car into for this update?

please advice me...

thank you all!!!

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: IS3_Ride ]

·
Registered
21 Posts
IS3_RIDE,
YOUR WELCOME! DON'T LET THE DEALER TRY TO SCARE YOU, THE UPDATES WORK GREAT AND I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS SO FAR. HESITATION IS GONE AND CAR DRIVES 100% BETTER IN THE LOW GEARS. AS FOR THE SRT INTAKE, I WOULD LEAVE IT ON WHEN YOU TAKE IT IN, IT WON'T VOID THE WARRANTY ON YOUR CAR. DO A SEARCH AND LOOK UP THE MAGGNASSON ACT? IT SHOULD EXPLAIN YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS REGARDING WARRANTY COVERAGE. CONGRATS ONCE AGAIN AND LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS AFTER YOU GET THE UPGRADES.

BLACK IS 300
RMM REAR SPOILER
TRAC/ECU UPDATES
28% TINT ALL AROUND

·
11,061 Posts
I like the results of the upgrade too. The service manager told me to leave the car in Power Mode after the upgrade to get optimal results. I tried it both ways and yup, it IS better in Power Mode. No more jerky stuff at low speeds!

·
Registered
219 Posts
hey what's up kevin?
don't worry about it...you gonna like the way it feels after the update.
did you get my email? let's meet up this sat at sean's shop. give me call.
c-ya~!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by SeattleSheila:
I like the results of the upgrade too. The service manager told me to leave the car in Power Mode after the upgrade to get optimal results. I tried it both ways and yup, it IS better in Power Mode. No more jerky stuff at low speeds!
sheila...
i've seen you post that advice b4. i don't want to scare you, or make you mistrust your dealer, but that is not a fix. the power button instructs the engine to chose the lowest optimal gear so you have greater acceleration. the jerky shifting would occur when the throttle is pushed (i believe it was) 20% to 70% while going 5-15mph. at this coasting speed the car is in 3rd gear.
thus, (yes, i said "thus"
) when the throttle is applied the car starts to take off in 3rd, the gear is too high to accelerate significantly at this speed, the ecu "realizes" it is in too high of a gear, and rather harshly downshifts into 2nd. that is what this jerky shifting is about. driving with the power button on will only decrease the likelyhood that the car won't automatically shift into the correct/optimal gear. therefore, it will seem as though the car shifts more smoothly. if the car still has the jerky shifting problem w/out the power button on, THEN THEY NEVER FLASHED THE ECU and applied the fix. the trac ecu is a whole other ECU. it's hard to fake that one.
i don't mean to accuse your dealer of anything, nor do i mean to make you mistrust them. but, we paid $35,000 for a car. we deserve to have it work the way we were told it would work. don't let them f u c k with you. not all dealers are bad. i like mine, alot. but it all depends on the person you are talking to. some dealers STILL don't know jack-s h i t about these problems, i wouldn't be surprised in the least if he "yessed" you till he had you out the door. drive w/ the power button off. if the car needs the fix, demand it.

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: smoke_this ]

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My IS doesn't have the ECU/TRAC update yet (i'm getting it next Tuesday), but I've driven an IS that does have it and it does make a noticable improvement. Don't worry - it's for the better!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know if this ECU/Trac update was applied to later 2001 models? I got my 2001 on 8/1/2001, I've only drove it occasionally and I find the TRAC to engage more often than it seems necc. on turns. One time I tried to come out of this park (maybe w/some gravel), and TRAC kicked in and my car was powerless (I feel sudden deacceleration). The other car could have hit me if I tried to merge on to the road!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh, I am getting excited. I just dropped off my car for the ECU/TRAC update this morning. I am looking forward to driving it tomorrow and see if I can notice any difference. I will post my experiences tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts