Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Michigan :lol: I hate it :pissed: It snowed for the first time in a long time in the past 24 hrs. I was driving my baby w/ the traction control ON and the snow mode ON. I drove my car in an empty lot to see how it handles in the snow. It likes to dance on the pavement if you know what i mean :( ANyway when i turned the steering wheel to make a turn i felt the rear wheels slipping and the traction control kicked in. The light flashed a few times and I heard a "THUMP" from my trunk area. At first I thought I had hit something, but I didn't. I did this a few times and reproduced the same results. The car corrected itself pretty well for a rear wheel drive car but I wanted to see if this 'sound' of a "THUMP" is normal or if I should get my car looked at. ThanX for the help!!!... :)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
that thump is just the traction control kicking in preventing your tires frmo keep spinning, turn traction off do it agina and u will here no thump,

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
i too enjoyed the snow this weekend here in michigan, and i assumed the thump was the breaks kicking on to stop the wheel spin, i notic with my mushy 16" tires the trac kicks on when turning fast on dry pavement kinda annoying but i have learned to slow down.........fishtailing is fun tho....makes me feel like i'm hauling ass

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: TRAC Control kicks in Snow Slippage and a thump is heard

LX4U2NV said:
I live in Michigan :lol: I hate it :pissed: It snowed for the first time in a long time in the past 24 hrs. I was driving my baby w/ the traction control ON and the snow mode ON. I drove my car in an empty lot to see how it handles in the snow. It likes to dance on the pavement if you know what i mean :( ANyway when i turned the steering wheel to make a turn i felt the rear wheels slipping and the traction control kicked in. The light flashed a few times and I heard a "THUMP" from my trunk area. At first I thought I had hit something, but I didn't. I did this a few times and reproduced the same results. The car corrected itself pretty well for a rear wheel drive car but I wanted to see if this 'sound' of a "THUMP" is normal or if I should get my car looked at. ThanX for the help!!!... :)

You guys all forgot the, "Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding" noise when the traction control engages. j/k. We got our first snow fall here in Springfield, Missouri (Southwest) over the last day or so and I finally got to test out the IS. I was fairly impressed with the Traction Control, but I am with everyone else that the tires completely suck. I got stuck in 3-4" of snow..Of course I was going up a hill. I decided to park it and take the Avalanche.

No real complaints from me though. Be safe.

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
GGPIS300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing