Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Michigan :lol: I hate it :pissed: It snowed for the first time in a long time in the past 24 hrs. I was driving my baby w/ the traction control ON and the snow mode ON. I drove my car in an empty lot to see how it handles in the snow. It likes to dance on the pavement if you know what i mean :( ANyway when i turned the steering wheel to make a turn i felt the rear wheels slipping and the traction control kicked in. The light flashed a few times and I heard a "THUMP" from my trunk area. At first I thought I had hit something, but I didn't. I did this a few times and reproduced the same results. The car corrected itself pretty well for a rear wheel drive car but I wanted to see if this 'sound' of a "THUMP" is normal or if I should get my car looked at. ThanX for the help!!!... :)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
that thump is just the traction control kicking in preventing your tires frmo keep spinning, turn traction off do it agina and u will here no thump,

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
i too enjoyed the snow this weekend here in michigan, and i assumed the thump was the breaks kicking on to stop the wheel spin, i notic with my mushy 16" tires the trac kicks on when turning fast on dry pavement kinda annoying but i have learned to slow down.........fishtailing is fun tho....makes me feel like i'm hauling ass

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: TRAC Control kicks in Snow Slippage and a thump is heard

LX4U2NV said:
I live in Michigan :lol: I hate it :pissed: It snowed for the first time in a long time in the past 24 hrs. I was driving my baby w/ the traction control ON and the snow mode ON. I drove my car in an empty lot to see how it handles in the snow. It likes to dance on the pavement if you know what i mean :( ANyway when i turned the steering wheel to make a turn i felt the rear wheels slipping and the traction control kicked in. The light flashed a few times and I heard a "THUMP" from my trunk area. At first I thought I had hit something, but I didn't. I did this a few times and reproduced the same results. The car corrected itself pretty well for a rear wheel drive car but I wanted to see if this 'sound' of a "THUMP" is normal or if I should get my car looked at. ThanX for the help!!!... :)

You guys all forgot the, "Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding" noise when the traction control engages. j/k. We got our first snow fall here in Springfield, Missouri (Southwest) over the last day or so and I finally got to test out the IS. I was fairly impressed with the Traction Control, but I am with everyone else that the tires completely suck. I got stuck in 3-4" of snow..Of course I was going up a hill. I decided to park it and take the Avalanche.

No real complaints from me though. Be safe.

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts