Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I change my tires, do I have to buy new TPMS sensors or can I still use the ones I presently have. I have spoke to 3 lexus dealers in the area and 2 tell me that you must replace the sensors every time you change tires and one tells me that I can still use my old sensors as long as they are not damaged and stay on the same side and positon on the vehicle. I was reading my owners manual about it too and I got quite confused. Any info is appreciated

·
Registered
124 Posts
The old ones will be just fine, just keep them in their correct corner of the car. I switched to winter tires yesterday and had zero issues with TPMS warnings, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never took one apart but I read that each sensor has a battery. When the battery runs down the sensor is dead. So, depending on the length of time between tire changes, you may want to consider changing the sensor. Does anyone know if you can just change the battery?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The old ones will be just fine, just keep them in their correct corner of the car. I switched to winter tires yesterday and had zero issues with TPMS warnings, etc.
It doesn't matter what location they are in. There is only one antenna in the car to pick up the TPMS signal. The car doesn't track the location.

In the IS250AWD, you can rotate your tires from front to back, and you don't have to reprogram sensor locations.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can use the original sensors,just be sure the new rims will accept factory sensors. I changed my wheels and used the same sensors from the stock rims without any problem whatsoever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts