Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I did a little experiment. Both my IS and my wife's Sienna needed new windshield wiper blade inserts. First I went to the Lexus dealer (I kinda wanted to see their new showroom anyway) and I got just the bare rubber blades. They put them in a nice Lexus boutique bag, just loose like that and rung me up for $18.00 and change for the two loose rubber inserts.

Next I went right across the street where the Toyota dealer is and got the 3 wiper blade inserts needed for the Sienna (all three are a different size!). These blades came in a package with and end clip, instructions and a little tool to help you install them. The total cost was about $15 for all three packaged blades.

When I got home I was disappointed that I could not find the word "Lexus" on the IS's blades to explain their higher price.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Thats because the IS's wiperblades are :shock: a Toyota OEM product.

You could have just bought them at Autozone.

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
i am surprised they didnt just replace them... when i take my MB in the wiper blades just get replaced (that was back in Boston and their service is awesome though, so maybe its an exception, but isnt Lexus always about after-sales service)?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
hell, I bought Bosche replacements and paid at least $18 bucks...

there are different levels of blades... how do you know that Toyota and Lexus use the same quality level?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Lexus Wiper Blades = Toyota Wiper Blades.

Trust me. I used to work there.
They actually used to say "Toyota" on the blade itself.

By the way, Toyota blades are better than most aftermarket blades.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Has anybody installed relfex wiper blades on their cars? I noticed local automotive stores selling them... and most nice new cars seem to come with them as well.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I figured the OEM rubber blade refill is better than the Autozone stuff so I bought mine from Lexus because they were $5-6 each. I also asked them to install it, which they did within 5 minutes in the parking lot. Longer lasting, better service, and still OEM for pretty much the same price. Thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The same can be said for the oil filter. I paid $11.75 from the Lexus parts department and subsequently discovered that the nearest Toyota charges $8.00 for the same exact part number. Have to think twice the next time out for replacement parts from the Lexus dealerships.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my mom has a 04 camry and the wipers are a lot like mine. Its pretty quiet. The dealership just replaces them for a few dollars and its sometimes free if your getting service done to your car.
It is about $15 if you have to replace the entire wiper which would be including the backing that holds the refill.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I just bought some from Pepboys the other day..I payed $8.65 for the set! I just think, hey, why pay sooo much if next year, im going to replace them again!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Josh300 said:
I just bought some from Pepboys the other day..I payed $8.65 for the set! I just think, hey, why pay sooo much if next year, im going to replace them again!
How do you find a "set" anywhere? I have to buy two sets because the left and right wiper blades are a different length. Not only that but the left one is a wider back bone than the right one. I ahve to buy a package of two of each size. I then end up with an extra one of each length. Maybe that would be OK if I could keep track of the extras and find them a couple of years later when I need them. They always seem to get lost though. That's why I usually just go to either Toyota or Lexus to buy them in singles. Besides, I read somewhere, I think in Consumer Reports, that the Toyota OEMs were the best you could get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts