Lexus IS Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 2057 Posts

·
27,116 Posts
Does the Subaru BRZ and Scion FRS have the same tires?

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
What kind of tire is on the spare? Is it a Prius tire? If not, what would the coefficient of friction be for that tire? What is the sound rating for the tires? Can you buy tires at Autozone? Tires.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
From looking at the car, it looks like the stock tires are pretty much stretched onto the rims. I'd bet you can go up at least 20 on the section width on those rims.

I'm pretty sure the stock tires are entirely intended to be replaced. They put them on there to maximize mpg. Of course, once you start putting more tire on there you're going to think the thing may be a little underpowered.

-Justin
According to Edmunds, the car comes with 215/45R17 tires.

Same exact size of the stock IS300 tires.

I always put 225/4517 tires on my IS. You really think 235/45 or 235/40 tires would fit on the FR-S/BRZ?

·
27,116 Posts
You could probably get away with running wider tires in the rear...

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I always ran the 225/45 on my stock lexus rims. How wide are the stock rims on the brz?

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
What kind of tire is on the spare? Is it a Prius tire? If not, what would the coefficient of friction be for that tire? What is the sound rating for the tires? Can you buy tires at Autozone? Tires.
If you are an employee who got fast tracked on getting hired at Autozone they will let you buy tires on a personal account purchase. You order them in through the corporate purchasing agent.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
The best answer I can find for the stock wheels size is 17x7. I don't know if I was looking at the things crooked or what, but I swear the stock tires looked stretched - so either they're a very narrow 215, the wheels are wider than 7", or I'm on crack.

-Justin

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
I could go drive one today. The salesman called me this morning.

Unfortunately (for him) the car won't work for my wife and I wouldn't get rid of the Miata for it. I think Adam should buy one.

-Justin

·
27,116 Posts
Why would you choose the Miata over the FR-S?

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
I have the miata.

If I were shopping for new cars today, I'd take the FRS over a new Miata. But to get rid of an existing paid-off car that I just put a new motor into for the frs. Meh. Besides, I've never been desperate to be the first kid with the new car out. If I get bored with the Miata and want an FRS, they'll be easy enough to find.

-Justin

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
I could go drive one today. The salesman called me this morning.

Unfortunately (for him) the car won't work for my wife and I wouldn't get rid of the Miata for it. I think Adam should buy one.

-Justin
I'll be VERY disappointed if we dont get a detailed writeup from you on how it performs. I'm surprised you didn't take it out.

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
If Adam gets an FR-S it will never get driven and likely not run right for about 8 years.
Speaking of tires, I just walked over to the IS tonight and noticed the new wheels/tires aren't looking so hot. Mounted them months ago and literally haven't driven an inch on them. I predict dry rot before they make even 1 revolution on the car.

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
Speaking of tires, I just walked over to the IS tonight and noticed the new wheels/tires aren't looking so hot. Mounted them months ago and literally haven't driven an inch on them. I predict dry rot before they make even 1 revolution on the car.
I wish I could help the restore project but I just dont think its in the cards. And J8 seems to have a mortal hate for me.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Was gonna trade my lexus for a rhd silvia, guy backed out, now looks like its taking the car to stock and trading it in for a fr-s. who wants some kw v3 and many figs parts?

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Was gonna trade my lexus for a rhd silvia, guy backed out, now looks like its taking the car to stock and trading it in for a fr-s.
For real? Once you pull that trigger, you definitely need to bring the FR-S to autocross or a meet or something...

LMAO at your new location. Zombie epicenter of America is right...

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Was gonna trade my lexus for a rhd silvia, guy backed out, now looks like its taking the car to stock and trading it in for a fr-s. who wants some kw v3 and many figs parts?
That guy is a moron. He'll spend weeks returning that thing to stock and it'll be worth nothing as a trade.

He's infinitely better off selling or trading the thing if he can find someone clueless enough to take the hack job off his hands (no offense, but RHD conversions, IMHO, are proof positive that the car was owned/modified by a jackass).

-Justin

1641 - 1660 of 2057 Posts