Lexus IS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 2057 Posts

·
27,116 Posts
Wait a minute... so Toyota and Subaru are building a car together... but the Subaru version is gonna have over 60hp more??? I know the AWD will add weight... but still... if there's more power to be had... they should be added to the Toyota coupe as well. Even 250 vs. 265 hp sounds a lot better than 200hp vs 265!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
well, I was pretty sure that the subi was going to be uglier, and now its going to be heavier, and probably not enough more power to offset the weight disadvantage. plus, there's no boost to be found, and toyota's current engine lineup blows for a tuner...

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
People, people, simmer down. Please do NOT take this latest round of rumors as absolute Gospel. I always love to keep track of all the rumors and initial rumblings surrounding yet-to-be-released cars, especially those I feel as strongly and passionately about as the Toyobaru coupe, BUT I DON'T get emotionally attached to or worked up about any particular rumor. I just detachedly sit back, read them all and then see, down the line, which came true and which didn't.

Personally, I don't find this one whereas the Subaru will be larger than the Toyota to be all that credible, but you never know. Other past rumors have stated that the Toyota version would be JDM-only, and that only the Subaru version would be exported. The fact that the Toyota version (as the FT-86 concept) was shown first pretty much kills that rumor, IMHO. Other past rumors have said that the Subaru and Toyota versions would only differ from each other only via cosmetic stuff like nose, taillights and wheels. Still other rumors have said that there would be both notchback and hatchback versions, but which brand gets which? Or do both get both? And is this even true, given that, to date, we've only seen a hatchback Toyota...

As to the boost situation, that low hoodline on the FT-86, combined with the European pedestrian safety rules that call for a certain amount of "air" and crush space between the top of the engine and the hood makes me wonder how they'll even package the turbo and, most importantly, the intercooler. Will they stick to Subaru tradition and use a top-mounted intercooler, thus raising the hoodline? Or go for aesthetics and use a more fragile front-mounted intercooler?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
i think you meant to say "Functional front-mounted intercooler" to which i respond...."Yes please"

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
i think you meant to say "Functional front-mounted intercooler" to which i respond...."Yes please"
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...as opposed to an interfooler... ;)

·
27,116 Posts
Don't hate on people for talking about rumours... rumours is all we got! :lol:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Don't hate on people for talking about rumours... rumours is all we got! :lol:
well that and a potentially bogus sound clip...

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
MotorAuthority said:
Subaru’s version of the upcoming sports car codeveloped with Toyota is definitely a go.

“There will be a Subaru version of the car; we have not yet confirmed it for the U.S.,” clarified Subaru of America director of corporate communications Michael McHale, to Motor Authority at Subaru's stand at the Los Angeles Auto show.

Some outlets have recently speculated that a Subaru version of the Toyota FT-86 won’t arrive after all, but the project is moving forward with a yet unnamed, uniquely Subaru version under development that’s “coming along quite nicely,” said McHale.

Just what might be the differences between the two? Although McHale wouldn’t talk specifics, “The Subaru’s going to be a little bit more Subaru-like, and the Toyota’s going to be a little bit more Toyota-like,” he said.

Subaru has done the majority of the engineering work for the FT-86 and will build two distinct versions of the vehicle—one for Subaru, the other for Toyota—in Japan. While it’s still officially up in the air as to whether the FT will have all-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive, it would be expected that a flagship sports car would exhibit Subaru’s core qualities, including all-wheel drive with a horizontally opposed ‘Boxer’ four-cylinder engine.

The related Toyota FT-86 concept, shown at the Tokyo show in October, was rear-wheel-drive and powered by a boxer four.

Subaru has plenty of time to decide; the new sports car isn't expected to bow in production form for another couple of years.

Subaru Version Of FT-86 Confirmed...But Not Yet For U.S. - MotorAuthority

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
That's an interesting turnabout. At one point, it was said that the Toyota version would be JDM-only, and that the Subaru version would be the one exported throughout the world. Now a guy from Subaru USA corporate is saying the U.S. might not see the Subaru version?

Personally, I smell B.S. The U.S. would surely be the biggest market for both versions.

·
27,116 Posts
For a few years????

This car isn't coming to production for another few years? lol With all the talk going on... I thought this car would be in the showroom within months.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
no way man, this is toyota we're talking about....the concepts only 1.5 years old, theres at least 3 years left in development, 2 more at the nurburgring, and 1 more for shits and giggles. didn't you follow the LFA?

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
:lol:^^^^

I'm wondering why they don't bring it into production soon. Toyota likes to hint at things and then make people forget about them, then 5 years later it'll go into production when no one remembers what the car was.

·
27,116 Posts
no way man, this is toyota we're talking about....the concepts only 1.5 years old, theres at least 3 years left in development, 2 more at the nurburgring, and 1 more for shits and giggles. didn't you follow the LFA?
Good point... :lol: Even the current Lexus GS was unveilied many many years before it hit the showrooms.

Toyota is such a cock-tease! I guess we should expect these sports cars to hit showrooms by 2015. :blush:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
sounds more reasonable to me.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
My understanding is that Toyota FT-86 goes into production some time around late 2011 or 2012. What's become really sketchy, however, is what sort of time lag (if any) there'll be for the Subaru version.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
REPORT: Subaru spokesman concerned that RWD Toyobaru could dilute brand identity

AutoBlog said:
It should come as no surprised that Subaru -- a brand that's made its name in the States for offering rugged, all-wheel drive vehicles -- is a little wary about bringing its own version of the RWD Toyobaru to the U.S.

Speaking with Wards Auto, Subaru spokesperson Michael McHale said, "We're an all-wheel drive brand," going on to say that, "If it doesn't affect the core of the brand, maybe we'd bring it in as an interesting option."

Although we've yet to seen the Subaru variant of the Toyota FT-86, the rebodied version is expected to debut sometime in 2010, with both examples going on sale in Japan later next year or in early 2011. Power is supposedly supplied by Subaru-sourced, Toyota-tweaked flat-four, putting out around 200 horsepower in naturally aspirated guise.

For Toyota to make a business case for putting the FT-86 into production, it's been all but assumed that the RWD coupe would go on sale in markets outside of Japan -- specifically in Europe and North America. However, the Subaru version's fate isn't quite as clear. If earlier reports are any indication, offering an AWD coupe could be a possibility given the coupe's underpinnings. But if it's strictly RWD, McHale hopes consumers can, "forgive us a one-off exception."
REPORT: Subaru spokesman concerned that RWD Toyobaru could dilute brand identity — Autoblog

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
^^^ and the Subaru version of the Toyobaru coupe rumors come full circle.

At first, it was assumed that the Toyota and Subaru versions would be mechanically and fundamentally the same (read RWD-only), with minor cosmetic interior, exterior and, posibly, suspension tuning variations between the two. Then all sorts of buzz started building about how the Subaru version would be AWD-only, turbo-only and larger (which I was always, frankly, skeptical about). Now we're back to square one and, probably, closer to the truth we'll eventually see...

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Toyota thinks we're all waiting on the edge of our seats waiting FOREVER to buy their freakin cars.

They can't even bring the iq here on any reasonable time table. There won't be any Scion dealers left by the time the thing arrives under that nameplate.

By the time it actually gets here, it's likely to be a FWD rebodied corolla to replace the Scion tC while Hyundai is dropping its next generation of the Genesis coupe.

-Justin

141 - 160 of 2057 Posts