Lexus IS Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 2057 Posts

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
You see the BRZ as having a price hike....and the Scion as not? The Scion price premium is built into the asking price and it's non negotiable lol

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
You see the BRZ as having a price hike....and the Scion as not? The Scion price premium is built into the asking price and it's non negotiable lol
Aren't they virtually the same car? Ive heard the Subaru feels different than the FRS not better. Why would it cost more? Interior?
I've been loosely following the issue not only in this thread but on Subaru forum NASIOC and on clubft86. It all boils down to the sticker price, or MSRP, being the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Each dealer can discount or charge over MSRP as he sees fit. Already there are many rumblings about a number of Subaru dealers charging ADP (additional dealer profit) markups for their BRZs, whereas Scion, having made its name with the no-haggle Pure Price philosophy, is seemingly less likely to engage in dealer markup shenanigans.

Although final U.S. pricing for both brands and firm Scion equipment levels are yet to be released, it is widely believed that the Scion will be the cheapest of the 3 versions (the other 2 being Subaru BRZ Premium and BRZ Limited). The Scion is thought to be broadly similar to the cheaper BRZ Premium minus the HIDs and a barer interior.

·
8,107 Posts
In addition to the BRZ and FR-S, I will also be test driving other cars in it's "class". I put class in quotes because it's more like price range. I don't really consider the Mustang in the same class.

If you think of any other cars I should test drive that are RWD in the 30K and under price range let me know. I might even consider AWD, but no FWD.

Mustang GT
Genesis 3.8
Camaro SS
Nissan Z
If you like coupes get a 2006 330i w/ performance package, before BMW screwed up the 3 series. I'd take that over the 4 above, except maybe the Mustang.

Not saying you shouldn't get the BRZ though, but wait for the STI version.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
At a haggling dealer, you would never pay sticker, so even paying full price for the subaru seems like an assessment poking. Paying over sticker is straight analysis rape. Scion doesn't haggle, but their prices are reasonable imho.

I dunno... Doesn't seem like this car will be comfortable at all, so getting a nicer interior is a waste.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I'm going to guess that the BRZ will have an MSRP more than the Scion but the BRZ would actually be cheaper to leave with because the price is negotiable. It may not be cheaper to take home at the beginning but over time that's what I see happening once the market explosion cools off.

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
As a former owner of an E46 3-Series... I say NO. My 3-Series was great, when it had a warranty. As soon as that expired, every basic service became a high expense. The thing just wasn't practical... especially when there are far more reliable, brand new, japanese cars that can be had. I'd take a Genesis Coupe 3.8 over a 330i any day of the week and twice on Sunday. FR-S or BRZ too.

·
8,107 Posts
As a former owner of an E46 3-Series... I say NO. My 3-Series was great, when it had a warranty. As soon as that expired, every basic service became a high expense. The thing just wasn't practical... especially when there are far more reliable, brand new, japanese cars that can be had. I'd take a Genesis Coupe 3.8 over a 330i any day of the week and twice on Sunday. FR-S or BRZ too.
What year was yours? My 2004 has been bulletproof to 86k miles. I think the reliability is getting pretty good.

The Genesis I don't know much about cause I refuse to buy Korean.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
In addition to the BRZ and FR-S, I will also be test driving other cars in it's "class". I put class in quotes because it's more like price range. I don't really consider the Mustang in the same class.

If you think of any other cars I should test drive that are RWD in the 30K and under price range let me know. I might even consider AWD, but no FWD.

Mustang GT
Genesis 3.8
Camaro SS
Nissan Z
Test drive the new Mustang GT, spring for the track pack with the 3.73 gearing and brembos, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
What year was yours? My 2004 has been bulletproof to 86k miles. I think the reliability is getting pretty good.

The Genesis I don't know much about cause I refuse to buy Korean.
I have always loved the E46, and if I were to get an E46 it would probably be the M3, but I would like to get something that has a warranty and low miles.

If I get something used it will have to have under 10K miles on it.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
To follow up with my Subaru dealership experience...

Subaru Dealership said:
Hi Nick,
These will be a very limited edition model. I will contact you to let you know when we can start ordering as most will be sold that way before they get here.
Thanks,
Douchebag
Me said:
Are you saying there will be a dealer markup? I don't get why Subaru would put so much into the development of this vehicle along with Toyota just to make a small amount. I understand it's a low volume type a vehicle in general, but you are making it sound like they are only making a couple thousand and that's it.

I guess I will just have to look at the FR-S instead. I really like what Subaru has done with the car though. I was hoping to get their model of it.

Thanks

- Nick
Subaru Dealership said:
Sorry Nick,
We have no control over the situation. I'm being told we will probably only get 7 units all year. We've started taking deposits on customers requests to be in line to get one. That's all we can do for now. In 07 Subaru did a limited version of the STI of only 800 units nationwide with a small lip spoiler, moonroof, leather and a small numbered plate on the console. It was a huge sell out success, we couldn't wait for the next years issue but they never did it again. Go figure. Let me know if I can help you get one.
Thanks,
Tom
And Subaru wonders why they only sell their cars to dikes and boy racers who think they are rally drivers. I am almost glad this happened because I don't think I could live with myself knowing I own a Subaru of any type.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
That dealer is only getting 7. Who knows what they consider a 'year' since most of the 2013 models are hitting showrooms at the end of summer. Maybe 7 means from the time they start getting them (May? June?) through to the start of the next model year.

-Justin

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
To follow up with my Subaru dealership experience...

And Subaru wonders why they only sell their cars to dikes and boy racers who think they are rally drivers. I am almost glad this happened because I don't think I could live with myself knowing I own a Subaru of any type.

Call Gold Rush Subaru in Auburn.

I talked to them just for shits and asked when I could see the BRZ or whatever the fuck... they told me they'd have a couple in the showroom this summer, and likely a whole lot more coming later this year. Dude said there was no waiting list there, most people don't even know about the car. He also said this was going to be one of their higher production vehicles, so "don't worry, it will be much easier to get than an STi..."

Sounds like you just talked to an especially shit filled dealer.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Call Gold Rush Subaru in Auburn.

I talked to them just for shits and asked when I could see the BRZ or whatever the fuck... they told me they'd have a couple in the showroom this summer, and likely a whole lot more coming later this year. Dude said there was no waiting list there, most people don't even know about the car. He also said this was going to be one of their higher production vehicles, so "don't worry, it will be much easier to get than an STi..."

Sounds like you just talked to an especially shit filled dealer.
I emailed Subaru USA HQ. I wanted to see what they think about this dumbass.

·
8,107 Posts
I plan to thanks. I am hearing a lot of good things about the new 5.0 engine. I ain't too crazy about the interior though.
The new Mustang comes out in 2013 right? This gen is so old, it might be a good idea to wait for the new model. I'll be real tempted when 2013s start getting the big incentives - 2012 GTs are selling for like $5500 off sticker now.

·
8,107 Posts
Originally Posted by Subaru Dealership
Sorry Nick,
We have no control over the situation. I'm being told we will probably only get 7 units all year. We've started taking deposits on customers requests to be in line to get one. That's all we can do for now. In 07 Subaru did a limited version of the STI of only 800 units nationwide with a small lip spoiler, moonroof, leather and a small numbered plate on the console. It was a huge sell out success, we couldn't wait for the next years issue but they never did it again. Go figure. Let me know if I can help you get one.
Thanks,
Tom
So the BRZ is gonna be a 1-year limited edition? What a tool. :lol:

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
The new Mustang comes out in 2013 right? This gen is so old, it might be a good idea to wait for the new model. I'll be real tempted when 2013s start getting the big incentives - 2012 GTs are selling for like $5500 off sticker now.
Are you serious or doing an excellent job at trolling? The current mustang got probably the best refresh known to man without there being an actual "generation" change and last year it got a new engine. The current mustang is anything but "old" in my opinion.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
My understanding is that the 2013 is still the current generation with a few tweaks and, I think, new headlights. The next-gen (with, presumably, the long-overdue independent rear suspension) isn't due until the 2014 model year at the earliest.

1281 - 1300 of 2057 Posts