Lexus IS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 2057 Posts

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Theyre begging for a red vinyl over them to give it a jeweled look.

Also, The car should be dropped no lower than the lower control arm level and the rear driveshaft level. (ideally the rear lower arms are level at that point too)

Anything past that leads to suspension geometry changes through out the then limited range of travel, with out massive reengineering that is...something most "dump it" dip shits will never do.
I've never bothered plotting the roll centers on this car. Seems like a lot of crap to go through to justify my own curiosity about a non-competition car. The next time the thing's back on the ground, I'll check for level. The kid I bought it from never said he autocrossed it, but the modifications don't make much sense unless he did.

-Justin

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
I feel like a goddamned idiot. Didn't realize they were game pics.
That makes 2 of us.

... does Modellista in Japan translate to PepBoys over here, because I have to say I've seen most of those mods in the crown-shaped air cleaner aisle of the automotive ghetto.

I don't know who/what Modellista is, but they can certainly fuck right off.

-Justin
I'll agree that the chrome body side molding is the most ridiculous and retarded accessory possible for the new 86. As to what Modellista is, let me quote passages from my 2011 Tokyo Auto Salon coverage for Kaizen Factor (see Toyota at the 2011 Tokyo Auto Salon, Part 1 | Kaizen Factor and Toyota at the 2011 Tokyo Auto Salon, Part 2 | Kaizen Factor ):

Founded in 1997, Modellista is an in-house Toyota arm whose primary (but by no means sole) focus is on body kits and custom grilles and cosmetics available as aftermarket accessories and the occasional Japanese Domestic Market limited-edition model. Yet, their name has also been applied to such delectable JDM forbidden fruit as the Toyota Mark X +M Super Charger, powered, as the name implies, by a supercharged 350+ hp version of the 3.5-liter 2GR-FSE V6.

(The 2010 Tokyo Auto Salon saw) the launch of Toyota’s new G Sports (or, more succinctly) G’s line. Wikipedia informs us that “G Sports is a range of enhancements to some cars manufactured by Toyota. The enhancements include body kits, interiors, wheels, suspension and drive-line components”. Toyota’s official press release goes into more detail, but leaves unanswered the question of how G Sports and the older Modellista and TRD (Toyota Racing Development) groups compliment or overlap with each other. A number of pundits...grappled with that question and reach a consensus of sorts that Modellista would focus more on cosmetics and body kits, TRD on all-out performance mods and G’s would focus more on suspension and interior upgrades. Yet, as it currently stands, there is much overlap between them, especially between Modellista and G’s. Call their differentiation or “nicheification”, then, a work in progress.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've been lurking around and I am pretty sold on this car. Motoiq did an in depth look at the suspension and diff etc etc. I don't see anything I don't like. I'll wait and see final specs of course but I haven't had a hardon for a car since I saw my first orange altezza. I might have to sell my touch though cuz the wife don't want 5 cars :(

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
The Genesis and Z have the same problem when trying to be sports cars - they're both rolling on Sedan chassis.

Of course, I think the Mustang is its own chassis. No excuse there other than they want to be able to stuff 5.0+ liter engines under the hood with room for a supercharger.

-Justin

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,111
[Video]:Scion FR-S turbo spotted testing at Laguna Seca

There is a Turbo version coming, it looks like from Scion.

It looks as if Scion may be hard at work on a new turbocharged FR-S prototype. Motor Trend nabbed a quick video of what appears to be a forced-induction version of the coupe darting around Laguna Seca. With its tall wing and sideways antics, the vehicle is likely being put through its paces by the Scion drift team, which has had to rely on specially modified TC models until now. It makes sense for the drift team to strap a turbo onto the vehicle's 2.0-liter flat four for a little extra grunt, but it's unclear if a forced-induction version of the FR-S will make its way to production.

If a hotter version of the coupe is coming down the pike, we'll have to wait for it. The first production FR-S models won't show up until summer, and any variations would trail along after that. Either way, it appears we should be able to catch a glimpse of high-performance FR-S on the Formula D circuit in no time. Hit the jump to watch the quick video for yourself.
Scion FR-S turbo spotted testing at Laguna Seca

Video inside link.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
...or it could just be the fully custom car for the Scion drift team.

I don't think Tanner Fousts' RWD Nascar V8-powered Scion tC ever quite made it to dealership floors - not even as a special order.

If you want a high-power FRS, boys, you're going to have to build one yourself. Even if an STi version makes it out to the public from Subaru in a couple of years, it's still going to have less than 300hp.

-Justin

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
The one good thing about this is that the EJ20/25 already exist and apparently are a direct bolt in?

If people are jonsing for more power they can swap in either of those power plants for very little money and have a well supported basis.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Not necessarily, unless you source one of those from a 2013 or newer vehicle in a state that inspects for emissions. The engine in the FRS runs a weird dual-fuel system and anyone who has messed with an IS300 knows how difficult it is to keep a Toyota ECU (since the fuel system is Toyota, I'll bet the ECU is as well) from throwing a CEL after the slightest change.

So if you buy your new FRS and then swap in a junkyard subie motor, you potentially just made yourself a shiny new lawn ornament unless you have the money to use it as a trailered track-only car.

-Justin

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
...or it could just be the fully custom car for the Scion drift team.

-Justin
That's what I meant about the public never getting it.
The one good thing about this is that the EJ20/25 already exist and apparently are a direct bolt in?
And in addition to what Justin said above, who says that it will even fit? The mounts might be the same or compatible but the geometry might be such that the turbo goodies might not fit in the bay with the engine that far back.

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
Not necessarily, unless you source one of those from a 2013 or newer vehicle in a state that inspects for emissions. The engine in the FRS runs a weird dual-fuel system and anyone who has messed with an IS300 knows how difficult it is to keep a Toyota ECU (since the fuel system is Toyota, I'll bet the ECU is as well) from throwing a CEL after the slightest change.

So if you buy your new FRS and then swap in a junkyard subie motor, you potentially just made yourself a shiny new lawn ornament unless you have the money to use it as a trailered track-only car.

-Justin
Only the few select states that follow CARB will care if you have the engine from the same year, ect. Even of the states that just do emissions inspections (lets use Missouri for example) the only thing that matters is that if they hook up a scan tool, get readiness on everything and have no faults as well as having a catalyst...youre good to go. Everything else is ok.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
The regulation is federal. If you're swapping a motor, the donor motor must come from the same type of vehicle and cannot be older than the chassis it's going into. It also needs to keep all its emissions equipment when going into the new chassis.

As far as getting readiness and no faults, you say that as if it's going to be simple after swapping a motor nobody is sure will fit into a car equipped with an ECU that nobody knows for sure can be tuned. How many IS's have chronic CEL issues from simple mods?

Hell, Lambchop spent 2 months under his hood with an oscilloscope just to come up with a workaround that would keep his car from throwing a CEL just long enough to get the sensors ready and roll the thing to the inspection station. Hell, I know people with bone stock Audi A4's that can't pass inspection because the stock ECU's don't implement OBDII communications to the letter.

Suggesting the engines you suggested will be bolt-in affairs and that they can be made to work with the FRS' electronics way premature.

-Justin

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
It may be a federal regulation, but whos checking?

I know lots of people with late 90s civics and integras that are running older motors. People with non vvt-i 2JZ swaps into IS300s....ect ect ect.

Thats just like how its apparently illegal to import S15 Silvias into the country but yet people do it. And have them titled as such. It happens.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
It's also how people with Skylines get visited by Feds with flatbeds and wave them a tearful goodbye.

Feds launch new crackdown against Nissan Skyline owners

These are the states that claim to require CARB standards: New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Maryland, Florida . I don't think that FL one is real, though. Maybe on paper, but I didn't think they even had annual inspections. In any case, you're looking at the entire northeast from MD north and, obviously, CA. I'm not going to look up the numbers, but since CA alone has 10% of the US population, and the northeast is obviously heavily populated, it's safe to say that most of the US is subject to these rules.

As for the Hondas, it's pretty easy to run the transplanted motor on the chassis ECU on those. So when they're plugged in, all the same sensors in all the same places are giving all the right signals and noth throwing CEL's. It's nearly infintely easier, I'm willing to bet, than running anything else with the ECU in the FRS/BRZ.

Can you get away with it? Probably... but it's a huge pain in the ass and it's not like buying a TV where you bring it home and then hide it away. Vehicles have quite a long paper trail and all it takes is one asshole tech at one inspection to fuck you in the ass.

I'm pretty familiar with the hassles of owning a non-compliant car in a CARB state. It was a HUGE pain in the balls, and mine was OBDI. As much of a pain owning it was, selling it was even worse.

I'm certainly not a fan of CARB rules, but you'd be a moron to ignore them - especially when you're looking at losing your $30k+ toy if you find yourself on the wrong side of them.

EDIT: It's less than half of the US population living under CARB, but not by much. 127,657,738 people (41.6%)

-Justin

1101 - 1120 of 2057 Posts