Lexus IS Forum banner

881 - 900 of 2057 Posts

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I was thinking about this car while driving my Invincible Truck of Doom, and I realized that on the "new" car market there's not really a whole lot that competes with it. I can't think of anything with a sub 3000lbs curb weight in that price range that's trying to do what they're doing.

But remember I did say NEW...when we throw a used Lotus Elise into the mix the decision gets a bit tougher for those individuals looking for the performance and not the utility of a daily vehicle.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #883

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
I was thinking about this car while driving my Invincible Truck of Doom, and I realized that on the "new" car market there's not really a whole lot that competes with it. I can't think of anything with a sub 3000lbs curb weight in that price range that's trying to do what they're doing.

But remember I did say NEW...when we throw a used Lotus Elise into the mix the decision gets a bit tougher for those individuals looking for the performance and not the utility of a daily vehicle.
I don't think I could compare it to the Elise. Because the Elise is so goddamn small, it's really impractical. The FR-S is small, but not small enough for it to be a bother. Have you ever sat in an Elise? I haven't... because I can't physically do it.

And I'm so stealing "Invincible Truck of Doom." Also... Tacoma tip... Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. Thank me later. They are the Reigning High Lord of truck tires. For serious.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I don't think I could compare it to the Elise. Because the Elise is so goddamn small, it's really impractical. The FR-S is small, but not small enough for it to be a bother. Have you ever sat in an Elise? I haven't... because I can't physically do it.

And I'm so stealing "Invincible Truck of Doom." Also... Tacoma tip... Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. Thank me later. They are the Reigning High Lord of truck tires. For serious.
If you COULD fit into the Elise and you were THINKING of buying the FR-S as a sports car, a secondary car...then you could totally cross shop the two and it would be tough. For people who would drive it regularly it's a no brainer though, nothing else competes with it in the market; nothing.

And as for the Duratracs, way ahead of ya. Got mine a few months ago :cool:

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
Nice! I got mine about two months ago. I've put them through mud, snow, sand, dirt, ice... everything. They just work.

Garage needs more truck threads... hmm...

·
Registered
44,398 Posts

I love the Elise, but I don't want one. As impractical as the Miata is, I can run errands in it on a saturday as long as I don't need to bring anything big back. It's easy to get in and out of, and I can drive around with the top down and still close things up when I park.

The Elise is tough to get in and out of, has no storage space and the 'top' is a joke.

That said, none of those things should be an indictment against a sports car - which should sacrifice practicality for performance when the two are at odds.

-Justin

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
^Agreed on all accounts. I cross shop very odd things. I was cross shopping the Legacy GT and the Tacoma on 2009. My logic is sound, but it's rarely understood lol

The good news is that the Truck isn't going anywhere for at least another 50k. So practicality be damned.

·
27,116 Posts
Dude... I'm cross shopping a 2010 Evo X SE and a 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior. You're not that weird...
How in the hell can you cross shop that??? You buy BOTH lol!

EVO has no cargo room... but you'll jizz in your pants every time you drive it! :cool:

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Different names depending on brand/market.

The car was developed jointly with Subaru. Their version will be the BRZ.

In Japan (and likely international markets outside north america) the Toyota version will be galled the GT-86.

In the US, the Toyota version of the car will be sold under the Scion brand as the FR-S.

In reality, no market will get more than two versions of the car (Subaru and either a Toyota or Scion variant).

-Justin

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
what are we talking about here. seems like we need some moderating of the moderators
Seems like we're very much on topic to me. Last few pages have been talking about what sports cars are, how much power is necessary, and whether or not this car falls into that category. Most recently we've been talking about what we'd be cross shopping this vehicle with.

Sounds on topic to me.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Different names depending on brand/market.

The car was developed jointly with Subaru. Their version will be the BRZ.

In Japan (and likely international markets outside north america) the Toyota version will be galled the GT-86.

In the US, the Toyota version of the car will be sold under the Scion brand as the FR-S.

In reality, no market will get more than two versions of the car (Subaru and either a Toyota or Scion variant).

-Justin
Exactly right, with one minor observation:

Japan: Toyota 86
Outside Japan and North America: Toyota GT 86
North America: Scion FR-S

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Damn. I didn't realize they threw a 4th name in the mix.

In the age of the internet, what the fuck is the point of having different names for different markets? Back in the day, few people outside of military stationed in Japan knew wtf a Fairlady was. Now, not so much.

-Justin

·
Registered
7,622 Posts

881 - 900 of 2057 Posts