Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2057 Posts

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
That's great to hear it that it's still in the works!
I can't wait to see the final product. I really do hope that it'll bring us back to times when Toyota featured wonderful sportscars with great potential.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Toyota 086A ‘Toyobaru’ to Debut at Tokyo Motorshow

The coupe goes on sale this October!!!

7Tune said:
With news that a lot of foreign makers will not be attending this years Tokyo Motor Show, the limelight will definitely be on local makers and what new toys they have to offer. One of the most hotly anticipated and debated JDM vehicles in recent months has been the Toyota Subaru ‘Toyobaru’ FR Sports coupe and things are now looking to get a whole lot more exciting at TMS with Toyota staff leaking news that the coupe will go on show this October!

Rumored as the successor to the AE86, Toyota has been aiming to introduce a cheap entry level sports car to their line up and bring sports car fun back to the masses. It seems though that keeping the price down has been a bit of a difficult job and staff close to the project say that the original two million yen mark might be difficult to achieve. New estimates have been set and the the final price will creep close to the two and a half million mark. With Tokyo Motor Show just three months away this is very exciting news for JDM fans and we will be waiting to see what Toyota and other makers bring to the table come Ocotober.
JDM Toyota 086A to Debut at Tokyo Motorshow : Your online JDM magazine

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
The coupe goes on sale this October!!!
Whoa! Hold up there! Not so fast, my young grasshopper!

The Toyobaru coupe might appear at the 2009 Tokyo Auto Show (press conferences on Wed 21 October & Thu 22 October), possibly only as a concept car, from what I've read. It's also possible that it may never go on sale.

Trust me, if there's one upcoming car that I've been following super-closely, this is it. And, as I might've stated on here at least once, I may, at some point start up a website or blog or something on the Toyobaru coupe. (I'd love to write a book on its whole backstory as well). Because of that, I can tell you that it's been the subject of a ton of yes-they'll-build-it, no-they-won't back-and-forth rumors.

In fact, I think it's fair to compare current new Toyota president Akio Toyoda's attitude towards the Toyobaru coupe to Bob Lutz's undying love for the Australian RWD Holdens. If it were strictly up to Toyoda-san, the neo-Celica would, indeed, be going on sale in October. But, with the global economic meltdown, the Toyobaru coupe was, by some accounts, put on hold. Some say this is permanent and that it'll never be built. Others say that it'll be revived once Toyota becomes profitable again (unlikely to happen for another year or so). And still others say that, like the Lexus LFA, the Toyobaru coupe is so far along that, regardless of the downturn in car sales, it's simply not worth cancelling. It's also been stated that Toyota will be watching the success (or lack thereof) of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe before deciding.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Rumormill: Toyota/Subaru coupe drops 40 hp, loses weight, marketed to your dad?

AutoBlog said:
This is not a fine kettle of fish. For some time now, fans of Toyota's AE86 Corolla and Subaru rally cars have been licking their chops in anticipation of the Toyota/Subaru-developed coupe. Affectionately known as the Toyobaru or 086A, the coupe is poised to resurrect the FR arrangement in Japan and give Toyota a much-needed excitement injection. Or maybe not. The JDM lovin' folks at 7Tune are reporting that the 086A is being neutered by about 40 hp in order for the new vehicle to be branded as an "eco car" in its home market.

But don't fret too much, as the plan is to simultaneously lower the coupe's weight, boosting the power-to-weight ratio. The other (maybe) good news for American consumers is that the power reduction seems to be effecting only the 2.0-liter boxer engine, a motor that Subaru no longer sells in the US. Meaning that we can expect our 086As to come with at least Subie's naturally aspirated and ubiquitous 2.5-liter boxer, if not a whole lot of turbo plumbing -- if makes it to the States.

Toyota is also banking on the fact that previous AE86 owners will view the new car as a nostalgia purchase. As such, they've changed the cars demographic from the coveted, if not fanciful, 18-35 year-old range to the more-likely-to-actually-buy-stuff 30-50 year-old male range. Most of these rumors will be dismissed for good when the Toyota/Subaru coupe makes its debut at the Tokyo Motor Show this October.
Rumormill: Toyota/Subaru coupe drops 40 hp, loses weight, marketed to your dad? — Autoblog

·
Exclusive Agent
3,582 Posts
Ok, I'm ready to see Toyota drop the ball on this one. Drops 40hp...."trying to be more of an eco car"....that doesn't sell to me very well..and I'm 30, right in their new demographic.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ok, I'm ready to see Toyota drop the ball on this one. Drops 40hp...."trying to be more of an eco car"....that doesn't sell to me very well..and I'm 30, right in their new demographic.
I was hoping for a powerful 300HP+ engine. Instead, they drop the horsepower. Come on Toyota! Get with the program here!

·
8,107 Posts
If the power to weight ratio is higher despite 40 hp, it's gotta be a big change in weight. The market is flooded with fat high hp cars, so it's good to see them stay on target.

Of course I doubt their improved power to weight ratio claim, more likely is a fat low hp eco car. :)

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
The president of Toyota USA speaks out on the Toyobaru coupe

Sports Car Could Be Scion or Toyota, Lentz Says
By Christie Schweinsberg - WardsAuto.com

Toyota Motor Corp.’s upcoming new “affordable” sports car alluded to by President and CEO Akio Toyoda in a speech here today will be branded either a Toyota or Scion, a top U.S. official says.

The sports car is the famed “Toyobaru” rear-wheel-drive model Toyota is co-developing with Subaru-maker Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., Jim Lentz, president-Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. reveals in a media roundtable at the 2009 Center for Automotive Research Management Briefing Seminars.

“I think it’s going to be great for sales and great for the Toyota image,” Lentz says of the car, which Toyota is fast-tracking for production in a “few years,” as it tries to inject some vigor into its lineup.

Lentz says the model has been on a short-list for production, but Toyota prioritized the Venza cross/utility vehicle ahead of the sports car.

"I can’t say if we would have been better off bringing a sports car forward as opposed to the Venza,” Lentz says. “I think (the) Venza was the better decision to make.”

“Global limited resources” hampered an earlier debut of the sporty model. He refuses to say if it is more of a “sports car” or “sports coupe.”

In February, Toyota-brand Group Vice President Bob Carter told Ward’s a sports car was desired but not a priority given tight product-development resources.

Toyota models, Lentz admits, “could be more passionate and could have better styling,” but that doesn’t necessarily mean the car will be branded a Toyota. Scion is due for a next-generation tC sport coupe, on sale in its current form since 2004.

Lentz says if the new model were to be branded a Toyota, there likely would be some market cannibalization from the tC. He says unequivocally the tC will have a next generation.

Pricing for the new sports car has yet to be determined, but Lentz says it will be important to price it within reach of Generation-Y buyers.

Volume targets also are unclear, but “high-volume and sports car are often difficult to use in the same sentence.”

Meanwhile, the Lexus LF-A supercar that Toyoda announced earlier today would go into production will be retailed in the U.S.

Whether the model will be available in both coupe and convertible form is still to be determined, as is pricing and its target demographic.

It is possible Toyota will be able to conquest Italian exotics with the LF-A, but officials say it also could appeal to current Lexus owners. The ideal buyer would be a person with a Lexus LS and an Italian exotic already in the garage.

While it will be a very low-volume model, bringing the LF-A to market will be important for Lexus to showcase its technological prowess, Lentz says.

Sports Car Could Be Scion or Toyota, Lentz Says

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Toyota's new president plans to fast-track new sports car

MotorAuthority said:
Fans of Toyota's sporting history have often lamented the current lineup of perfectly competent yet decidedly boring offerings, calling them 'appliances'. The days of the Supra, Celica and MR-2 may yet return, however, with new president Akio Toyoda at the helm.

Speaking today at the 2009 Center for Automotive Research (CAR) Conference, Toyoda said, "My hope is that I can transfer some enthusiasm from the race track to our vehicles and make driving fun for our customers around the world.

"And to that point, I am happy to announce this morning that Toyota plans to build an exciting...fun-to-drive...affordable sports car and launch it within the next few years.

"I am very excited about it...and I plan to fast-track it."

That could mean a debut of the new car as early as 2011 or 2012, which would put the vehicle right on schedule for the 086A joint project currently being developed with Subaru.

That car is expected to be a RWD sports coupe powered by a naturally-aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine rated in the neighborhood of 200hp. Some reports have the car being sold in the U.S. as a Scion, which would help mate the car with Toyoda's statements about affordability and excitement.

Whatever the car ends up being, or looking like, it's exciting to see such enthusiasm for driving, racing and cars in general at the head of Toyota. Let the talk of a Supra revival - hybrid or not - begin!
Toyota's new president plans to fast-track new sports car - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Toyota's FT-86 Concept revealed!

Toyko 2009 Preview: Toyota FT-86 Concept brings back the Hachiroku
by Damon Lavrinc - Autoblog

Toyota's President Akio Toyoda has said the automaker is in desperate need of an excitement injection, and here's the first dose: the Toyota FT-86 Concept.

Inspired by the Corolla-based AE86 sports coupe of the '80s, the FT-86 concept was designed by the automaker's ED2 styling studio in France and bears a remarkable resemblance to the FT-HS concept shown at the Detroit Auto Show several years back.

Since it's a "concept," Toyota hasn't divulged much about the FT-86 yet, but we do know it's powered by a Subaru-derived 2.0-liter boxer four sending power to the rear wheels. Toyota focused on keeping the weight down to improve handling and, according to one source, the platform is unique to the concept. The engine sits lower in the engine bay to aid aerodynamics while keeping the center of gravity in check, and the overall dimensions of Toyota's new 2+2 are 163.78 inches long and 69.29 inches wide, with a wheelbase of 101.18 inches.

After the FT-86 bows in concept form at the Tokyo Motor Show next month, the production model will be shown sometime next year with sales beginning sometime in late 2011 carrying a sticker price somewhere north of $20,000.

PRESS RELEASE

1. FT-86 Concept (world premiere)
The FT-86 ("86" pronounced "hachi roku"), a compact rear-wheel-drive sports car, provides driving joy and excitement.

* Compact design gives driver greater control, while body's lightness and low center of gravity allow racecar-like handling
* Both power and environmental performance provided by 2-liter boxer engine and light body
* Flash Red body color contains hint of blue; interior expresses modern feel with minimal coverage of the highly refined structural components evoking enthusiasm for cruising

Length: 4,160 mm (163.7")
Width: 1,760 mm (69.3")
Height: 1,260 mm (49.6")
Wheelbase: 2,570 mm (101.2")
Seating: 4

Toyko 2009 Preview: Toyota FT-86 Concept brings back the Hachi-Roku — Autoblog

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Imperessive. I was all excited when the Genesis coupe came out, but a bit disappointd by its weight and (for todays market) low 4 cylinder power output. Sounds like Toyota may have the weight thing under control, but if there's no turbo under the hood I will still be left wanting.

Body looks great, like a smaller and MUCH more affordable LF-A. This car may be worth the wait. Welcome back to the cheap speed side of the market, Toyota.

·
Technical Poseur
23,313 Posts
#1 is the radio zippered in behind a leather dash?!

#2 the Subaru variant MUST be AWD or they will have to ditch their slogan "The beauty of AWD"

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,394 Posts
That car is way too out there to be a toyota....it'll never happen, at least not looking like that.

I really like the front. Any word on power output or more importantly...weight?

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
That car is way too out there to be a toyota....it'll never happen, at least not looking like that.

I really like the front. Any word on power output or more importantly...weight?
Not at this point, unfortunately.

Educated guesses have been on a 2-liter, 200 hp flat four and a curb weight no greater than 2800 lbs.

·
Exclusive Agent
3,582 Posts
Love it, Love it, Love it.
Interior is a little crazy.

Some people say that Toyota is too conservative with no RWD cars and main stream styling. This is going to change that.

·
9,703 Posts
I like it! Toyota, please build this car. They're the only car manufacturer that don't have a single sportcar model, oh and Buick. And i'm not including the Scion. That's quite pathetic IMO.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Love it, Love it, Love it.
Interior is a little crazy.

Some people say that Toyota is too conservative with no RWD cars and main stream styling. This is going to change that.
Absolutely! I think this will be my "car-after-next"...

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
AutoBlog said:
That didn't take long. Hot on the heels of the Toyota FT-86 Concept's reveal, we've got videographic proof that ToMoCo's new boxer-powered 2+2 is bound for the virtual circuits of Gran Turismo 5.

Make the jump to see a darkened shot of the C-4S flat-four underhood, followed by the FT-86 romping through some European backroads, running a street circuit and then sliding sideways at Tsukuba with its predecessor and inspiration, the original Toyota AE86 Corolla.
VIDEO: Toyota FT-86 Concept finds its way into Gran Turismo 5 — Autoblog

41 - 60 of 2057 Posts