Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2057 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
If it wasn't obvious to most of you already, this decision to go ahead with the Celica was due to the massive pre-orders for the Genesis two door.
If that is true, I sure hope Toyota is aware many of the pre ordered 4 cylinder cars were because of the tuning potential. Without a turbo nobody cares.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
If it wasn't obvious to most of you already, this decision to go ahead with the Celica was due to the massive pre-orders for the Genesis two door.
From all the accounts I've read about the neo-Celica/Toyobaru, I'd say it was never really cancelled, and the delay of about 6 months to a year was as much about fitting direct injection to the base 2-liter naturally aspirated Subaru-sourced flat four as about hesitation over bringing it out in a crappy economy.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
If that is true, I sure hope Toyota is aware many of the pre ordered 4 cylinder cars were because of the tuning potential. Without a turbo nobody cares.
Again, from what I've read, there might be a turbo, possibly AWD version later, but I don't think it will be available at launch.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
From all the accounts I've read about the neo-Celica/Toyobaru, I'd say it was never really cancelled, and the delay of about 6 months to a year was as much about fitting direct injection to the base 2-liter naturally aspirated Subaru-sourced flat four as about hesitation over bringing it out in a crappy economy.
The economy put this vehicle on hiatus. And I just talked to some of my colleagues about the news on the internet about the 'go ahead' and they are saying the vehicle is actually still on hold. However the Genesis pre-order has got TMC talking.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
The economy put this vehicle on hiatus. And I just talked to some of my colleagues about the news on the internet about the 'go ahead' and they are saying the vehicle is actually still on hold.
Wow! There are so many conflicting "It's on hold/no, it's just delayed a bit" stories, it drives you crazy and makes your head spin.

The "it's only delayed a bit so that we could add direct injection" stories are attributed directly to Akio Toyoda at the 2009 Tokyo Auto Salon, from what I read somewhere.

Still, I consider ISZach to be a VERY credible source.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Rumormill: Production Lexus LF-A, Toyobaru coupe coming to Tokyo

Seems like the folks at Autoblog picked up on the same idea:

With the D-3, Mercedes-Benz, Renault, Lamborghini and other automakers, pulling out of this year's Tokyo Motor Show, Toyota is rumored to have a big showing to capitalize on the lack of reveals this October. According to InsideLine's correspondent in Japan, Toyota will unveil the production version of the Lexus LF-A, originally expected to debut in Frankfurt. The V10-powered, 600-hp supercar's future was in doubt late last year, but the on-again-off-again coupe won't be the only two-door gracing the Toyota stage.

The collaboration between Toyota and Subaru on a new coupe is also rumored to make an appearance in Tokyo, although it's unclear if the Toyobaru will debut as a concept or a production model. Based on the current Impreza platform, the rear-wheel drive will coupe will be powered by a Subaru-sourced flat-four with a new Toyota-developed head that will decrease emissions and increase fuel economy while returning an estimated 220 horsepower.

Toyota is also expected to show off a range of hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles, along with new EV and battery technology. But the automaker will have four fewer days to show off its wares to the public – the show has been cut down from 17 days to 13, running from October 23 to November 4.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
086A Spotted Testing Two Different Body Styles

Update!!!

7Tune said:
Although there have been a few reports about the 086A Toyota/Subaru jointly developed compact sports car recently, there’s been only a few new pieces of information to come out. This time around we’ve got something that should keep us guessing right up until late 2011.

Japan automotive magazine Best Car has printed more information on the upcoming 086A Toyota Subaru FR sports car which is bound to get people speculating. Apparently two different body styles have been seen being tested, both on the new Subaru Legacy platform. Best Car doesn’t go into any detail about what the two coupes looked like, suffice to say that both the Toyota and Subaru models will have different body work which goes against what was previously reported. In recent reports we’ve understood that both models will only have different badges and trim designs to differentiate from each other, but now it seems both the Toyota and Subaru models should look noticeably different. How different? Judging by Best Car’s renderings (which they’ve reprinted from previous articles) it could be a case of one very sleek Toyota and a more hard-edged Subaru, but Best Car took care to add Toyota badges to both renderings so they’re not saying either way. Both companies are paying attention to future trends with the new designs so let’s hope that Subaru don’t take this opportunity and produce another less than exciting model like their recent efforts.

Also going against previous reports, the Legacy based platform to be used with the 086A will keep its native 2750mm wheelbase. Despite the (now) longer wheelbase the 086A will still retain compact overall dimensions. Total length, width and height is said to be unchanged at 4200mm, 1750mm and 1300mm respectively. These dimensions will make it a true four-seater coupe, however it’s been mentioned that the rear seats are for “emergencies” which might be a problem for larger occupants. All other information regarding the 200PS EJ20 2.0L boxer 4-cylinder engine with D-4S direct injection, the drivetrain and suspension is unchanged since our last report.

Best Car has once again mentioned that the price of the 086A will nudge 2,500,000 yen which pushes the boundaries of an affordable compact sports car somewhat, but BC also notes that the market in Japan may not be so receptive unless Toyota can keep the price of the 086A to a maximum 2,000,000 yen. The 086A Toyota Subaru compact sports car is still scheduled to go on sale in March 2012.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Guess they're going after the big coupe market, which is already pretty bloated. Pun intended.
Not really, thank God. Those dimensions translate as 2750mm (108.2") wheelbase and total length, width and height of 4200mm (165.4"), 1750mm (68.9") and 1300mm (51.2"), respectively. That's pretty far from the large coupes you're thinking of (likely the Infiniti G / Hyundai Genesis / Detroit 3 ponycars). In fact, compared to the BMW 1-Series (probably the only not-too-bloated RWD 2+2 you can buy new nowadays), the Toyobaru is predicted to ride on a 3.4" longer wheelbase but be 6.3" shorter and 4.2" lower (widths are virtually identical). And the older prediction articles had the wheelbase cut down to 97.2".

·
8,107 Posts
Not really, thank God. Those dimensions translate as 2750mm (108.2") wheelbase and total length, width and height of 4200mm (165.4"), 1750mm (68.9") and 1300mm (51.2"), respectively. That's pretty far from the large coupes you're thinking of (likely the Infiniti G / Hyundai Genesis / Detroit 3 ponycars). In fact, compared to the BMW 1-Series (probably the only not-too-bloated RWD 2+2 you can buy new nowadays), the Toyobaru is predicted to ride on a 3.4" longer wheelbase but be 6.3" shorter and 4.2" lower (widths are virtually identical). And the older prediction articles had the wheelbase cut down to 97.2".
I just wonder how nimble the car's gonna be with such a long wheelbase. The AE86 was 94" wheelbase. E30 M3 is 101".

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
I just wonder how nimble the car's gonna be with such a long wheelbase. The AE86 was 94" wheelbase. E30 M3 is 101".
I totally agree, and hope the long wheelbase rumors don't come true.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Still in the works....

7Tune said:
At the recent Nostalgic Car Show in Tokyo’s Odaiba, 7Tune got busy talking with a few people in the know about a certain two door coupe. Indeed there has been a lot of talk and rumors about the jointly developed ‘Toyobaru’ sports coupe in the news of late. However we have it on good authority that development of this machine is still going ahead, albeit on a reduced scale.

It is said that the new CEO of Toyota, Akio Toyoda, is very fond of motorsports and has been pushing to see Toyota release the 086A onto the market in the near future. Whilst the economic situation in the world today doesn’t lend a hand to his cause, some curtailments in costs and a “3rd priority” ranking have allowed development to continue moving on this very anticipated car. What we can say for now is that the sports coupe is not yet dead and that Toyota, like the rest of the world, is just awaiting a better global situation to get this car out.

No doubt the recent success of the Hyundai Genesis has provided a little inspiration to keep things moving! The 086A has the potential to become an instant cult car amongst the drifting and import tuner communities.
JDM Performance cars, Drift Events, Feature Cars, News and Rumors : Your online JDM magazine

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
this is exciting.

21 - 40 of 2057 Posts