Lexus IS Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2057 Posts

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
but they do have factory performance upgrades being released. Just not a turbo, for whatever their reasons. Probably the same reason they never came out with a supercharger for the IS.

Keep in mind all of those performance divisions don't necessarily come out with a turbo option for their sports coupes and sedans either.
The ones that don't come out with turbos seem to come out with entire cars or engines (M, AMG).

I'm still waiting to hear who would buy this factory turbo version of the car. The fact that BMW can sell an M3 to an overcompensating idiot for $70k has very little to do with someone dropping an extra 50% on a car that has NO badge going for it and will have very little cool factor once there are more of them on the roads.

The people insisting they need a 300+hp version have either already purchased any of the multiple competitors offering 300hp and rwd for ~$35000, or aren't going to buy anything anyway - they just like to spray nonsense on the internet.

You want toyota to think there's a market for the TRD turbo / supercharger for this car? Buy one and then send them a letter declaring your desire for one, signed with your VIN. Until those letters start rolling in, why the fuck should they listen?

The ratio of people who talk about forced induction to people who take any steps towards forced induction is approaching infinity. I certainly wouldn't waste my R&D dollars chasing the keyboard modder market.

-Justin

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
I think a letter that goes, "Hey Toyota, I would love to buy an FR-S, but I feel it would benefit from a bump in power via OEM forced induction. I am not a club racer, just your average person who likes to drive fast between stoplights on occasion. Signed, someone who might spend $35K on a car," might carry as much weight than one that says, "Hey Toyota, I think the FR-S needs more power, but I bought one anyway. Could you please develop some sort of forced induction so that you can make a little more money off me? Signed, someone who already spent $27K"

You have to assume the TRD engineers are chomping at the bit to make something besides truck parts, door sill plates, and badging.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
My next vehicle will likely be a truck.

I was unaware that would disqualify me from internet car critiquing. Is there some kind of theoretical purchase order I need to fill out in order to justify theorizing said theoretical vehicle. If so, I'm out.

I'll make sure I never point out any design flaws on any upcoming Ferrari or Lamborghini models, since I am well outside that demographic.

Sound logic.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
That's really not my point at all.

There are a lot of 'if it only had 300hp' people who insist that there's a great opportunity for Toyota if they just give this more power.

I'm saying that any serious buyer who wants a 300hp rwd coupe already has one, and every future shopper for such a car has multiple options. It's not the un-tapped market people want to make it out to be.

Feel free to critique lambo all you want. Unless you start saying that what Lambo really needs is develop a front wheel drive family sedan, you're not involved in the same stupidity.

-Justin

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
Well, I don't think it needs 300hp.

I just think it is stupid that it is seeing 15whp gains from an intake. Seems like they could have easily squeezed out another 30bhp without using FI.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well, I don't think it needs 300hp.

I just think it is stupid that it is seeing 15whp gains from an intake. Seems like they could have easily squeezed out another 30bhp without using FI.
Your probably right. I'm guessing they wanted to achieve a certain mpg in our "green" society.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,031
HKS Supercharger kit ready for Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ

Respected Japanese tuner HKS has released its Supercharger kit (GT S7040L) for the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ.

The new kit boots power and torque by a claimed 30 per and takes around five hours to install. Dyno testing shows that the supercharger will ramp up power from 157 horsepower to 235 horsepower, giving the two acclaimed sports cars the extra power many claim its chassis can handle comfortably. With the kit fitted, max power is delivered lower down the rev range at 6 300rpm, instead of 6800rpm in standard trim.

The only structural modification requires moving the radiator frame to allow for room to mount the boost pipe. The kit includes a supercharger assembly, traction oil, installation bracket, suction pipe and blow off, intercooler assembly, intercooler pipe, an ECU adjustment and additional bracket parts. For those that want even more power, it is thought that the power plant could be pushed up to 400hp with additional modifications.

Currently, the HKS kit is on backorder in Japan, which gives an insight into the appetite for additional grunt from customers of the two sports cars. At this time, neither Toyota nor Subaru have indicated that they have any plans to offer factory-fitted turbo or superchargers to the FR-S or BRZ. Apparently, this is largely because the two companies aimed to deliver a fun to drive sports car below $25k and want to keep it that way.

The HKS Supercharger kit is retailing in Japan for around $6000. However, it will need undergo further emissions testing and modification so that it passes U.S. laws before it can go on sale legally.
HKS Supercharger kit ready for Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
I don't think it's got anything to do with keeping it green.

The thing is running a 12.5:1 compression ratio from the factory. They have to allow a bit of a margin of error in the programming.

When you start building intakes that could change the diameter of the MAF, you end up with some different results. It could be a case where the Injen may increase the diameter a little, leaning out the mix and they're in a place that gets 93 octane so there's no detonation. The airaid may have made it too wide and ended up knocking and retarding the timing.

The stock intake doesn't appear restrictive. For them to get 15hp there has to be something else at play other than just removing restrictions.

-Justin

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
I personally think the specific power output is irrelevant. HOWEVER if Toyota really wants this to be the next great "tuner" car (god I hate that phrase) then I think it needs a turbo stock. A great majority of the great cars that people associate with being wildly successful as "tuners" came turbo stock, be it here or over seas. Some exceptions I can think of are the 80s Corolla, CR-X, Civic, Integra. The first three in that group get away with it because they make the FR-BRZLMNOPT86 look like a fat-ass weight wise.

The benefit of factory turbos is that they typically take to mods much better. You get a higher bang for your buck when it comes to modifying. They also tend to be more reliable than aftermarket turbo setups and often dont have to sacrifice OEM creature comforts to sustain that reliability (such as having to run a standalone, your complex A/C system on modern cars, or the MPG gauge on the IS for example)

They could offer a turbo version with 40 more hp, which isnt much. Heck lets say 30 more, and I care to bet it would be the kick in the pants the car needed to really set sales on fire. It is not the specific output people really want from the manufacturer, they want a platform that takes to their intentions easily. If you were going to build a Subaru to go fast would you start with an 03 2.5 RS or would you start with a WRX/STi?

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
They Made a factory turbo Miata. It sold in tiny numbers and isn't really sought-after as a used Miata.

APO will be shipping their FR-S/BRZ turbo kit in January that gets ~80 more whp for $3800.

Factory turbos take to mods better than n/a cars do because there are more factory bottlenecks to remove (most of them in place to prevent detonation). The only equivalent on an na motor would be if the factory actually installed restrictors in the intake. There aren't many turbo cars that can't take a healthy increase on the stock boost levels as long as you're willing to keep the octane at 93 instead of 91, or that won't spool up a heckuvalot faster with a free-flowing down pipe (I think the down pipe actually had a crush in it on the first-gen turbo genesis coupes).

I'm not sold that a turbo option is necessary to make this car appealing to 'tuners.' I'd say that the most consistently modified car in the US has been the Mustang for a very long time. Except for some experiments in the 80's, those have not come from the factory as turbocharged, and the supercharged versions are more than double the price of a base mustang ($22k v6, $30k v8, $55k GT500). Americans seem pretty well resigned to installing their own forced induction - I'll bet there are a lot more aftermarket supercharged Mustangs than there are GT500s.

-Justin

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Damnit JB, you bought the next ricer dream car now you have to deal with the ricer retardation that comes with it, these last few pages were a painful read.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
That reminds me. I don't know if the car is benefitting from the cold weather or if I'm babying it on the snow tires, but the torque hole around 3500rpm seems to be gone. I had heard there was a break-in ecu program that switchs when you get to ~1000 miles. That could be it as well.

-Justin

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
I think thats really weird that from 3,000-4500 there is a big dip in torque. I wonder if it is an ECU tuning issue or something else with in the design...

2021 - 2040 of 2057 Posts