Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
So, any thoughts about this? Didn't this originally stem from an incident in Southern California from an ES350 or IS250 or something like that?
The incident was with an ES350, where the dealer loaning the car put SUV floormats in it, causing the gas pedal to stick... and since the driver apparently had no idea putting the car in neutral stops it from accelerating (or how to turn the engine off) a whole family was killed.

Rather than insure dealers install proper floormats Toyota insanely over-reacted and announced it would take a series of steps totally unnecessary if people would just use the correct floormat, properly secured, in their cars.

The recall announced just a couple days ago appears to be a different issue specific to the gas pedal on some US built vehicles, and specific to Toyota models only (NOT Lexus models). AFAIK Lexus doesn't build anything in the US.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i dont get it. even if ur ignorant enough not to kno putting the car in neutral will eventually stop it, why doesnt the person on the phone inform them of this very simple procedure?

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
I think everybody is so panicked that it just doesn't come to mind to put the car in neutral.

Different sources have said that if you hammer on the brakes... it would be enough to make the car stop as well. But the mind just doesn't think straight under pressure.

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
Knightshade... are these really two different recalls? I thought at first the floormats were being blamed... but after a car WITHOUT floormats had the same problem... they then realized it was the pedal assembly at fault.

About the cars being built in Japan. Even though certain cars are built in Japan... I heard some of the sources for parts may still come from North America.

And just as an example... Peugeot is recalling a car that was designed with Toyota as well.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Knightshade... are these really two different recalls? I thought at first the floormats were being blamed... but after a car WITHOUT floormats had the same problem... they then realized it was the pedal assembly at fault.

About the cars being built in Japan. Even though certain cars are built in Japan... I heard some of the sources for parts may still come from North America.

And just as an example... Peugeot is recalling a car that was designed with Toyota as well.

No, they're two totally different recalls.

The actual gas pedal one is Toyota models only, not Lexus, and only ones built in the US. List of vehicles impacted are here:
Toyota Recall Models List: Vehicles Affected By 2010 Toyota Recall

The floormat one covers some Lexus models however (and should IMHO be ignored if you're smart enough to properly install the correct floormats in your car)... models impacted by THAT are here:
Lexus and Toyota floor mat recall

Avalon and Camry overlap on both lists, nothing else does and nothing by Lexus.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Unfortunately, Toyotas built in NA have to have at least 25% local content, and there lies the rub. All Lexus cars that I'm aware of are built in Japan,...for now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think everybody is so panicked that it just doesn't come to mind to put the car in neutral.

Different sources have said that if you hammer on the brakes... it would be enough to make the car stop as well. But the mind just doesn't think straight under pressure.
I kinda question this one. I did a "trial" of this doing 100+ mph, with my foot smashed to the floor and then I hit the brakes with the other foot. funny thing happened...I slowed down quite a bit. Though my test is fatally flawed because I did it on an IS250.

Sidenote/question: doesen't the ES350 have bigger brakes than an IS250?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think the problem stems from the guy having pumped the brakes several times. At WOT you only get a couple of attempts to slow the car before the brake fluid starts boiling and you lose all braking. The guy pumped his brakes several times in a panic and by then the brakes became ineffective. Its a sad story and pretty bizarre considering he was an experienced police officer....

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
There was a video on this acceleration problem which says pumping your brakes is one of the worse things you could do. Just slam on the brakes and bring the car under control.

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
^^^ That would be the best thing to do... :approve:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.