Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I found a cheap W55 manual transmission off a 1992 toyota pickup that I'm looking to rebuild. Before i buy it, does anyone know what else I should keep in mind before doing so? I assume i'll need the stock manual bellhousing off an IS300 as it is a different engine.

Anyone have experience or knowledge about this swap?

I have an automatic 2002 IS300

·
Registered
707 Posts
Check this thread out, should give you a pretty clear idea. Before you commit to the W55, ask yourself: do you ever want to run more power? You’ll tie up a lot of effort and cash swapping to a manual. The W55 is pretty weak, but will hold up just fine to a stock GE (don’t mistake me, you can still destroy it). If you’re planning on boosting the engine, or swapping engines, it may pay to look at other manual trans options: R154, AR5, CD009, T56...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check this thread out, should give you a pretty clear idea. Before you commit to the W55, ask yourself: do you ever want to run more power? You’ll tie up a lot of effort and cash swapping to a manual. The W55 is pretty weak, but will hold up just fine to a stock GE (don’t mistake me, you can still destroy it). If you’re planning on boosting the engine, or swapping engines, it may pay to look at other manual trans options: R154, AR5, CD009, T56...
Okay thanks for the info i'll make sure to check it out

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm currently going through the process of gathering parts for this swap. It's been incredibly difficult to find the is300 bellhousing, but I finally managed to do so recently. You can use the rear tail housing from this w55 but you'll need the shifter extension housing, shift select rod, and the ball joint for the shift select rod to make it work. I've tried for a month to find a rear tail from the is300 w55 or even just the shifter extension housing, but no luck finding a used one. Ended up purchasing those parts brand new.

OEM part numbers:
33570-53010 shifter extension housing
33252-53010 ball joint
33251-22071 shift select rod

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm currently going through the process of gathering parts for this swap. It's been incredibly difficult to find the is300 bellhousing, but I finally managed to do so recently. You can use the rear tail housing from this w55 but you'll need the shifter extension housing, shift select rod, and the ball joint for the shift select rod to make it work. I've tried for a month to find a rear tail from the is300 w55 or even just the shifter extension housing, but no luck finding a used one. Ended up purchasing those parts brand new.

OEM part numbers:
33570-53010 shifter extension housing
33252-53010 ball joint
33251-22071 shift select rod
Amazing thank you so much. Had i seen this sooner i wouldve went through with purchasing the transmission.

Is that all you really need? Hopefully within the next year or 2 I’ll have everything ready to put together. The bellhousing is definitely hard to find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Amazing thank you so much. Had i seen this sooner i wouldve went through with purchasing the transmission.

Is that all you really need? Hopefully within the next year or 2 I’ll have everything ready to put together. The bellhousing is definitely hard to find.
yup this is all you need to make it work, mine has been driving smoothly since the swap. if you want to change the output shaft seal(the one on the back of the transmission tail that connects to the driveshaft), you can't use the oem is300 one because it is a little smaller. here is the part number for the correct one: 90311-38090

·
Registered
68 Posts
If using a truck W55, you should not use the IS300 W55 bellhousing. All W5x transmissions except the IS300 have the same length input shaft, but the IS300 has a longer input shaft and bellhousing to allow the use of the dual mass flywheel. If using a W55 from anything but an IS300, a 2JZ W58 bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch setup should be used to ensure there is enough engagement of the input shaft into the pilot bearing. If you want to use the IS300 bellhousing, you should also use the IS300 input shaft.

Regarding the extension housing, that will only need to be swapped if you're using an older W55. Any 2WD W5x from late 1991-onwards will use the same extension housing as the IS300 W55. Earlier housings were a bit different.

Jeff

Reactions: 01 SolarYellow

·
Registered
12 Posts
If using a truck W55, you should not use the IS300 W55 bellhousing. All W5x transmissions except the IS300 have the same length input shaft, but the IS300 has a longer input shaft and bellhousing to allow the use of the dual mass flywheel. If using a W55 from anything but an IS300, a 2JZ W58 bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch setup should be used to ensure there is enough engagement of the input shaft into the pilot bearing. If you want to use the IS300 bellhousing, you should also use the IS300 input shaft.

Regarding the extension housing, that will only need to be swapped if you're using an older W55. Any 2WD W5x from late 1991-onwards will use the same extension housing as the IS300 W55. Earlier housings were a bit different.

Jeff
This is pretty interesting information. I forgot to mention in my original post that I used the w58 clutch/flywheel setup rather than the OEM w55 dual-mass flywheel. I've been driving with this swap for about a month now and it seems to be fine despite not swapping out the input shaft.

In regards to the extension housing, I did not swap that from the truck w55. I added the shifter housing (33570-53010) mentioned above so that the shifter will be aligned with the shifter hole on the center console. Did other w55's come with that? I am unaware.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are various shifter setups out there, but this exact shifter setup is IS-specific.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts