Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you done your "Lubrication Service" (aka. Oil changes) at Toyota dealerships? Is there any difference in the products that they use? I mean there's no such thing as a "Lexus Oil Filter" right? I haven't looked at the filter myself yet. And the Lexus dealer just puts in regular 5W30 anyways. And the grease they use to lube hinges and stuff must be the same as well right?

The reason I'm asking is I need a Lubrication Service... and it's too cold outside for me to "experiment" with my car. I just got it during the summer and hence it will be my first oil change I did myself (the first one was done at Lexus). But Lexus charges CDN$90!!! While Toyota charges CDN$40.

So please let me know if there's any difference in the service.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recently took mine to a Toyota dealership for an oil change. I'm located in Northern California. They used Genuine Toyota Oil filter and Kendall 5W30 regular. They checked all my fluid levels and tire pressure. My radiator coolant was a bit low and they were nice enough to fill it with Toyota coolant at no cost. Overall cost me US$28. I called the Lexus dealer just down the road and they use the same Genuine Toyota Oil filter and Castrol 5W30 regular including a courtesy carwash. Pretty much the same procedures except they charge US$50. I was expecting the Lexus dealer would use synthetic oil at that price. It really depends on which dealership on what brands/service, maybe you should check with your local dealerships. Also, both dealerships will charge extra if you want upgrade to synthetic. Probably next time I'll bring in my own oil of my choice (Mobil 1) and just pay for the labor cost. BTW, there was Lexus GS300 getting an oil change during the same time as mine at the Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Down here in the S.F. south peninsula area, the Toyota dealers wouldn't touch my IS for any sort of services whilst my Tundra truck gets its service. As a matter of fact, my Tundra just received an express lube "plus" service yesterday and it costs US$69.88 which I think is too high. Perhaps the next time I'll skip its "plus" service.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does the "plus" add?

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
toyota/lexus.. doesnt matter ... an oil change is just that. the labor costs at toyota are 30-50% lower than what you would pay at a lexus dealer, depending on where you live, and the number of dealers in the area.

i have had my last 2 oil changes at the local toyota dealer, who treat me just fine. $40 is what they charge for rotation and oil change when i bring in my own synthetic oil. thats a good 35 bucks cheaper than the local lexus dealer.

·
Registered
745 Posts
gtfreak said:
I recently took mine to a Toyota dealership for an oil change. I'm located in Northern California. They used Genuine Toyota Oil filter and Kendall 5W30 regular. They checked all my fluid levels and tire pressure. My radiator coolant was a bit low and they were nice enough to fill it with Toyota coolant at no cost. Overall cost me US$28. I called the Lexus dealer just down the road and they use the same Genuine Toyota Oil filter and Castrol 5W30 regular including a courtesy carwash. Pretty much the same procedures except they charge US$50. I was expecting the Lexus dealer would use synthetic oil at that price. It really depends on which dealership on what brands/service, maybe you should check with your local dealerships. Also, both dealerships will charge extra if you want upgrade to synthetic. Probably next time I'll bring in my own oil of my choice (Mobil 1) and just pay for the labor cost. BTW, there was Lexus GS300 getting an oil change during the same time as mine at the Toyota dealership.

Where in Cali are you? My local Toyota dealer is close to the same price as the Lexus dealer (around $50-$60, which I think is too high).

·
Registered
92 Posts
pradda said:
Where in Cali are you? My local Toyota dealer is close to the same price as the Lexus dealer (around $50-$60, which I think is too high).
I live in Sacramento. I take mine to the Roseville Automall. $50-$60 at your local Toyota dealer is way to high...maybe its because you're located in the Bay Area? I called 3 other Toyota dealerships around the Sacramento area and most would charge in the mid $30s. On a few occasions they'll bump up price if you metion its a Lexus. I usually bring up the fact that Lubrication service for an IS is no different than V6 Camry/Avalon, they both use the same type of oil filter and almost the same amount of oil.

·
Registered
745 Posts
gtfreak said:
I live in Sacramento. I take mine to the Roseville Automall. $50-$60 at your local Toyota dealer is way to high...maybe its because you're located in the Bay Area? I called 3 other Toyota dealerships around the Sacramento area and most would charge in the mid $30s. On a few occasions they'll bump up price if you metion its a Lexus. I usually bring up the fact that Lubrication service for an IS is no different than V6 Camry/Avalon, they both use the same type of oil filter and almost the same amount of oil.
I think you are right, it must be a Bay Area thing becuase take a look at this service menu at Sunnyvale Toyota. $64.95 for a glorified oil change! May as well take it to Lexus at that price!

http://www.toyotasunnyvale.com/en_US/f_MiscPage_4.chtml

Recommended Every 5000 miles or 6 months
5k, 10k, 20k,25k
Replace engine oil and filter
Rotate Tires
Visually inspect brake linings / drums / brake pads / discs
Measure brake linings Frt._____ mm Rr._____ mm
Inspect :
All fluid levels and adjust as (necessary)
Lube Chassis adjust tire pressure
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect engine air filter
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Tighten drive shaft bolts
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis
$64.95

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, do it yourself the cheapest route. Pradda, the local Toyota dealer where I take my IS always charges $27.95 quick lube w/19point inspection. In fact theres a Ecoupon for a complimentry 27point inspection which covers basically the same as Sunnyvale Toyota. The coupon notes Toyotas only, but they were nice enough inspect my IS. http://www.planettoyota.com/2005/services.htm

·
Registered
745 Posts
Cool, thanks man. I would do the change myself but don't have the resources to do it since I live in an apt in a densely populated area.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
It costs me $25 for an oil change at Lexus Dealer. I bring my own Mobil 1 Syn, and they charge me for filter/labor. :)
I decline any other service, such as tire rotation. I do that myself, or any of the 10000point inspection B.S.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
gtfreak said:
The only problem I might see there is that to change the filter in Camry is very easy, as oppose to IS, which is a genuine pain in the ass. That's why some might charge more for that.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since I originally asked the question... I figured I'd respond with what I did. Initially I booked an appointment with a Toyota dealership(or so I thought). I was happy because I would only have to pay CDN$40 as opposed to CDN$90 at the Lexus dealer. The plan was to go get the oil change/lube job and get back to work in about an hour.

When I got to the Toyota dealership it was obvious that was not about to happen. I was shocked to see a lineup of about 5 cars sticking out of their "express lube" garage. And there must have been another 4 cars inside their garage. People were just sitting in their cars in line... waiting for their turn to move into the garage. I got out of my car and walked into the garage. What I saw were a bunch of Toyota service people running around like chickens with their heads cut off... going on about how much work they have to do... and how behind they are. Basically they were like "change the oil... and get the hell outta here".

The whole environment frightened me... so I called up a nearby Lexus dealer. The "Service Advisor" told me he could take me then... and do a Lubrication Service CDN$70.

I drove over to the Lexus dealer... and walked into the dealership. A cute asian girl walks up to me and asks how she may be of assistance to me. I told her I was here for service... and she introduced me to my "Service Advisor". He took my info... and then took my keys. My car was IMMEDIATELY taken into the garage and worked on. After the Lubrication Service... the service advisor came up to me and informed me that my cabin filter was insanely dirty... while my air filter was still good for a while. So I told them to change the filter.

I ended up taking an IS350 for a test drive while I was waiting for the service... and was delighted to have a salesman let me DRIVE THE CAR as opposed to harrassing me with "when am I going to buy the car???". And for the record... when I'm done with the IS300... I'm gonna get an IS350!

In the end I received my car back and was delighted to see that it was fully cleaned. Not just a quick wash... but it almost appeared to be detailed. The engine bay was cleaned... the rims were spotless even though there was a lot of grime on them when I brought the car in. Even my mats were cleaned. In the end I was very pleased with the experience.

So I figured although you pay more at Lexus... the reason why you are paying more is because of the experience. So you just need to decide if that's worth the extra cost to you. I think I will be doing oil changes myself in the future... except when it's inconvenient for me. But atleast I know where I can get treated as a king if I wanted to. ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
you guys who bring your own synthetic oil for the dealership to change. How do you know if the lube guy dont keep the synthetic for himself and use the convental for you?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts