Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't plan on Toyota/Lexus matching the Infiniti's G35 horsepower increases anytime soon.

This from today's article on Autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=00901082

" Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. will not go toe to toe with Honda and Nissan for horsepower bragging rights, a top executive says.

Toyota has been scolded in the enthusiast press because the Camry has fallen behind the Honda Accord and Nissan Altima in horsepower and torque. The redesigned 2003 4Runner's V-8 has fewer horsepower than the base V-6 - 235 vs. 245 - although the V-8's torque is far higher.

The same challenge applies on the luxury side, with the Lexus ES 300 and IS 300 both outgunned by the Infiniti G35 and Acura 3.2TL.

The horsepower war has been escalating for two years, with many automakers trying to attract young buyers by jamming the brawniest engine possible under the hood.

Toyota's decision could be a sign that it is satisfied with its demographics or an assumption that spending too much on horsepower is risky.

On the Lexus side, Toyota will not attempt to match powerful vehicles such as the BMW M3. Lexus will offer performance vehicles such as the GS 430, but luxury will be paramount.

"You have to have an IS 300 that's believable as a performance car before you go about making an M3 type of car," Press said. "The problem in taking on BMW is that they've refined that art. We can't do it, because it's there already. We have to do our own thing."

·
Registered
202 Posts
DaMN. I always love toyotas..grew up in a family that only bought toyotas/lexus cuz of quality and reliability. Yeah my parents dont really gives a rats ass bout HPs and performance as long as theres luxury. Yeah so theyre gonna keep the older generations but down the line theyll have to convince us younger generations to buy their car in the future as we grow older and have much more $$$ to spend. We grew up admiring performance cars and I know all the cars I buy in the future will be better and faster progressively. Oh wells... :-?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
How disappointing. :roll:

Well, can't Toyota at least come up with some form of boost that's warrantied/ultra-reliable?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
This is nothing new. Toyota has never been cutting-edge in terms of performance with the exception of the MkIV Supra.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I get annoyed every time those senses-numbing, SUV-driving Toyota executives make comments like this. They never know what young buyers want, and yet they wonder why Toyota/Lexus buyers have the oldest average age.

Good luck with the Scion brand.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ok, Toyota... if you're going to do that do you think you could cater to the enthuisasts by offering more/better TRD/L-tuned packages. We get the HP and performance we want and you get to make more money in the aftermarket segment. A win-win situation. So what do you say? :-?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I think they're just trying to concentrate on their core business. At the end of the line, it's all about profit. How much more revenue are they going to bring in with something like an IS430? What are the sales figures going to be like to offset the R&D costs? It probably makes much better business sense to invest R&D costs on large volume cars like the Corolla and Camry. Do you think the average consumer who WOULD BUY a Corolla or Camry place that much emphasis on horsepower?

·
Registered
13 Posts
this is some sort of bad joke right??- Oh wait, I guess not.

I saw a beautiful yellow IS on the highway today while I was in my new G35 C 6 spd. and it brougt me back to how close I was to buying the IS until I test drove the faster (read as more hp) Infiniti.

I also own a TT supra and I thought the perfect companion would be the IS.

But- let's face it- Toyota, for better or for worse, can make a very nice living without satisfying my needs for speed and horsepower. Perhaps we are asking too much of a this car company. Camrys, Corrolas, ESs, and luxo boats fly off the Toy/Lex lots without superchargers, turbo chargers etc. How many of these buyers walk into Toy or Lex and say: Any aftermarket performance parts for my ES??- The answer is 0.

In retrospect the Supra was just an anomaly. Sad to say.

Hey- but if I want a supercharged Sequoia with video games in the back seat- well then Toy is my main man!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Re: this is some sort of bad joke right??- Oh wait, I guess

james said:
I saw a beautiful yellow IS on the highway today while I was in my new G35 C 6 spd. and it brougt me back to how close I was to buying the IS until I test drove the faster (read as more hp) Infiniti.
Why would you buy a G35 Coupe when you could get another Supra for less money and have a faster, more reliable, more exclusive car?

I could understand a G35 4-door with a manual, but a coupe when you have a Supra?

Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
463 Posts

quick said:
james said:
Why would you buy a G35 Coupe when you could get another Supra for less money and have a faster, more reliable, more exclusive car?

I could understand a G35 4-door with a manual, but a coupe when you have a Supra?

Hope you enjoy it.
supra's are old

g35's are new

infiniti has more luxury

supra is toyota

supra = sports car
g35 = 4-passenger coupe

enough?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Nihar said:
quick said:

Hope you enjoy it.
supra's are old

g35's are new

infiniti has more luxury

supra is toyota

supra = sports car
g35 = 4-passenger coupe

enough?
Old vs. new? Who cares if the Supra has 8k miles. Age is irrelevant if you know anything about working on cars.

Luxury? If you're talking about performance (which is the G35's claim to fame) then luxury is less important. The Supra has a nice interior, btw. Very luxurious for it's time.

The Supra has a rear seat as well. I seriously doubt that the G35C's rear seat is any more useable than the Supra's.

Bottom line if you argue that the G35 is the performance/value leader than it clearly loses out to the Supra. If you want to start talking new cars only, then maybe the G35C is better than the 330ci due to reliability.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Look how well Infiniti Q45, M45, I35, & Maxima sell. For Q45/M45, they don't sell (340 hp). I35/Maxima (255 hp) sells with huge markdowns.

(Yes, G35 sells well, but it's new).

GS430 sells very slow too.

Horsepower is important to a very small segment of car buyers (most of whom hang out on these forums).

Toyota is smarter than you think. HP is WAY overrated and we're all suckers for numbers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
gregboyer said:
Look how well Infiniti Q45, M45, I35, & Maxima sell. For Q45/M45, they don't sell (340 hp). I35/Maxima (255 hp) sells with huge markdowns.

Horsepower is important to a very small segment of car buyers (most of whom hang out on these forums).

Toyota is smarter than you think. HP is WAY overrated and we're all suckers for numbers.
I have to agree with you on that, well put.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Old vs. new? Who cares if the Supra has 8k miles. Age is irrelevant if you know anything about working on cars.
and if you can find a TT supra with 8k miles for 35 grand (which is about the average for a G35c), you should buy it. NOW!!! and why would you buy a car with the intent on working on it yourself when it breaks. as a 2nd car, a supra is perfect. but for everyday, ill keep my G35c 8)

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
ibp19v3 said:
gregboyer said:

I have to agree with you on that, well put.
Good Point... historically speaking, Toyota has never been a performance oriented seller. They have produced "sports cars" to remain competitive in the field, but it has never been a focus.

Toyota's main goal is to sell cars and sell a lot of them. I dont forsee Toyota changing their business plans to accomodate the needs of IS300.net forum members.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
is300_white said:
BigDaddyRich said:
I dont forsee Toyota changing their business plans to accomodate the needs of IS300.net forum members.
This is unfortunate because that basically means we are SOL. :x
Sorry, but if you were expecting any other than that you were fooling yourself.

Since when will a multibillion dollar corporation give a _shit_ what a few people care about one model of car?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
24 Participants
okwiater
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing