Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking to get headers... the 2 choices that i have right now is Toyomoto and Xerd... i was wondering which one of those 2 is tuned to produce more top end power?

Thanks~

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
XERD:
Pros:
More top end power

Cons:
You'll never find an o2 sim
It won't fit if you ever decide to put in a supercharger

ToyoMoto:
Pros:
Will fit with a supercharger

Cons:
You won't ever find an o2 sim
Make slightly (like 3-5?) less HP than the XERD

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
dasgalloway said:
XERD:
Pros:
More top end power

Cons:
You'll never find an o2 sim (already have http://www.casperselectronics.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?product=IMPORTS)It won't fit if you ever decide to put in a supercharger (make your own piping to the intake)

ToyoMoto:
Pros:

Cons:
You won't ever find an o2 sim (toyomoto sell them or you can use this http://www.casperselectronics.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?product=IMPORTS)

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
Do those sims work for sure? Which ones do you have to buy?

As for the piping... I heard it was the SC blower and bracket that got in the way... not the piping... So even if you make your own pipe it won't fit.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dasgalloway said:
XERD:
Pros:
More top end power

Cons:

ToyoMoto:
Pros:

Cons:
What exactly do those o2 sim do and why is it so hard to find one??

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
For the folks who plan on owning their car longer than a year or 2...
XERD - Stainless Steel
Toyo - Not

Why would you want to fork out a few hundred bucks every few years because your header started to rust away?

This goes the same for exhaust cans/pipes. You buy a SS unit and you will have a good looking (and functioning) can for a long time.

·
Registered
435 Posts
dasgalloway said:
XERD:
Pros:
More top end power

Cons:

ToyoMoto:
Pros:

Cons:
It depends on the piping of the SC kit, any XERD pipe with any SC not fitting is not a one to one.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Also, is there anywhere to purchase the Toyomoto header other than Toyomoto? They never answer the phone, they must be too busy.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
What about the PRO-1 header? is it that bad of a header that it never gets mentioned? Just curious as I have one and I don't seem to have OS2 problems or CEL?
I even had an XERD Race Pipe bolted on, but replaced it with the pipe that came with the PRO1 due to noise.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I've heard the XERD header and midpipe with the GReddy EVO, which is the exhaust I have... and it sounds shrill as hell. Too raspy for my taste.

Anyone know if the Toyomoto header/pipe is more throaty or toned down a little with the noise.

Also- I thought the O2 sim comes with the Toyo BPU header mod. It says that on the product info on the website, no? :eek:

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
Itmight be the greddy making the sound higher pitched....

What intake do you have? I have the Xerd racepipe and ltuned exhaust... the exhaust note pitch difference between the stock intake, the PLP sfi, and an open element intake are completely different. Stock/PLP are too high pitched... open element lowers it down quite a bit and makes it sound good.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
Really...??

so the intake system affects the exhaust note/ tone...?? /anyone else experience this or agree...??

...I'm not trying to discount you bro, but i also am unclear how this would work what with the motor & all in between them i know the noise from an intake system is much louder than stock setups & that adds to the overall noise the car makes when accelerating etc....

edward

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
yeah but for almost a grand for those headers/racepipe? :eek: does anyone have these on their car that can say that the jic headers are leaps and bounds above xerd or toyomoto, or that there is some reason other than brand name that justifies the price? im not tryin to dis em, jes wanna kno what makes em so damn expensive.

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
redline814 said:
For the folks who plan on owning their car longer than a year or 2...
XERD - Stainless Steel
Toyo - Not
Why would you want to fork out a few hundred bucks every few years because your header started to rust away?

This goes the same for exhaust cans/pipes. You buy a SS unit and you will have a good looking (and functioning) can for a long time.
Just found out some new information...

Stainless steel = expands when it gets hot.

Why does the XERD race pipe rattle? Because its stainless steel, and when you get it hot, it expands and pushes the exhaust chain back, and then your muffler downbend that makes it clear the rear suspension no longer clears the suspension arm, so it rubs. It damaged my ltuned exhaust piping a bit (just scratched it up) because it made it rub on the suspension. Don't know what the effects of stainless steel headers and a y-pipe would be, but you could get some rubbing in some areas when the car gets hot and the parts expand.

Anyone else experience this?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.