Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car back from Craig Paisley last week and drove it for about five days without a problem. The car is not dynoed yet. I have the toyomoto kit with wabro fuel pump 6 440 cc injectors, emanage and STOCK spark plugs.

Anyways, 2 days ago i was driving on I-87 in westchester I decided to step on it and got the car to 135mph. Suddenly, I began to see a huge cloud of thick with smoke coming out of my exhaust. i pulled over quickly and poped the hood and observed motor oil around my engine bay. I clean all of it up after half hour. I check all my connection and non of the oil was coming from my s/c line or resovoir. Every time i reved the engine to about 4000rpm i went back out and obseved oil building up around were my headers meets the engine and oil around the seal of the head gasket. I thought stock head gasket were good for at least 400 hp. I have not been dynoed yet but all I have is a 7lb pulley and the car does not feel that is pushing 300 rwhp yet.

my check engine and trac are blinking too. Does anyone knows what could be wrong. Im about to do a compression test and a leak down test or what ever that is called. Im also ordering a 2mm head gasket as well.

Reactions: tsopranoMB

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
damn, sorry to hear that

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
MannyBlaze said:
I got my car back from Craig Paisley last week and drove it for about five days without a problem. The car is not dynoed yet. I have the toyomoto kit with wabro fuel pump 6 440 cc injectors, emanage and STOCK spark plugs.

Anyways, 2 days ago i was driving on I-87 in westchester I decided to step on it and got the car to 135mph. Suddenly, I began to see a huge cloud of thick with smoke coming out of my exhaust. i pulled over quickly and poped the hood and observed motor oil around my engine bay. I clean all of it up after half hour. I check all my connection and non of the oil was coming from my s/c line or resovoir. Every time i reved the engine to about 4000rpm i went back out and obseved oil building up around were my headers meets the engine and oil around the seal of the head gasket. I thought stock head gasket were good for at least 400 hp. I have not been dynoed yet but all I have is a 7lb pulley and the car does not feel that is pushing 300 rwhp yet.

my check engine and trac are blinking too. Does anyone knows what could be wrong. Im about to do a compression test and a leak down test or what ever that is called. Im also ordering a 2mm head gasket as well.
Get your CEL read.

Were you ever street tuned at all?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Its probably a cracked ringland. I doubt the headgasket blew. The stock gasket is metal, but very thin.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dasgalloway said:
This is a supercharger kit?
yes it is. He had it run rich to be safe until he can do more tuning. He only street tuned it, not dynoed. Im telling you this was running perfect until I floored it 5 days later. I need to fix what ever the problem is, but I need a place to tuned it right. I called TE they say they will do it but today I received an email about not being able to because something with their dynoe. They have not received their new dynoe yet and they could only dynoe tune turboeast cars only for the time being since they have to go someplace else for it. I could totally understand that and dont mind.
what head gasket do u guys recomend. should I get the supra 98 2mm HG from titanmotorsports.com and apr head studs.?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
... I dont think the stock HG was to blame... If its not dynod yet is it even tuned? Why are you running stock plugs?

Why would you run an untuned car to 135 do you know how much load is on the engine at that speed? Because you rich at idle does not mean you are rich everywhere.

Sounds like new internals are in order.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
MannyBlaze said:
yes it is. He had it run rich to be safe until he can do more tuning. He only street tuned it, not dynoed. Im telling you this was running perfect until I floored it 5 days later. I need to fix what ever the problem is, but I need a place to tuned it right. I called TE they say they will do it but today I received an email about not being able to because something with their dynoe. They have not received their new dynoe yet and they could only dynoe tune turboeast cars only for the time being since they have to go someplace else for it. I could totally understand that and dont mind.
what head gasket do u guys recomend. should I get the supra 98 2mm HG from titanmotorsports.com and apr head studs.?

I think what you need to get is a new motor or new internals.
+ a headgasket + ARP head studs.

Street tuning is ok...but how do you street tune a car without a wideband? If your car has a wideband, what did it read when you were doing 135mph?

·
Registered
204 Posts
:lol: what did you think was gonna happen driving an untuned car to 135mph? nobody street tunes to 135mph. YOU are to blame ... not the parts or the tuner..... simply put ... YOU mess up your own car because you dont repsect the power of the SC.

Good luck rebuilding and spending thousands.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sentinel said:
... I dont think the stock HG was to blame... If its not dynod yet is it even tuned? Why are you running stock plugs?

Why would you run an untuned car to 135 do you know how much load is on the engine at that speed? Because you rich at idle does not mean you are rich everywhere.

Sounds like new internals are in order.
watyoutalkingabout willis? Man, this was street tuned. Well i had it at 135 for about 15 sec before, cough, cough, white smoke started coming out. How do i know if my internals or rignlanding (what ever that is) are done. complession test, leak down test and checking cel, how accurated will that be to the real problem.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
StarScream430 said:
:lol: what did you think was gonna happen driving an untuned car to 135mph? nobody street tunes to 135mph. YOU are to blame ... not the parts or the tuner..... simply put ... YOU mess up your own car because you dont repsect the power of the SC.

Good luck rebuilding and spending thousands.
Haha. Way to be constructive.

In his defense, you really don't tune by speed.
So whether he was at 90 or 135 it makes no difference.

And he hasn't told us yet whether it was tuned with a wideband or not.

I haven't tuned my car on a dyno since I switched to my haltech, but I do tune with my wideband.

I know some people's idea of "tuning" is getting the car to seem like it's driving fine... regardless of AF ratio.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
What was used for the street tune? a wideband? feel? smell?

MannyBlaze said:
watyoutalkingabout willis? Man, this was street tuned. Well i had it at 135 for about 15 sec before, cough, cough, white smoke started coming out. How do i know if my internals or rignlanding (what ever that is) are done. complession test, leak down test and checking cel, how accurated will that be to the real problem.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
MannyBlaze said:
A very important question is:
was it street tuned with a wideband?
I've never seen anyone install a wideband just to street tune it and then uninstall it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If i had to take a guess.... I think everything is ok for the most part. what I think happend is that the stock head bolts stretched and caused a HG failure. Dont let people scare you into thinkin a block is shot or a piston ringlanding is broken. Its not that easy to break a ringlanding or score a block. If the car still idles ok I would get the ECU code read and see whats next.

All you "should" need to do is clean the HG and mating surfaces with carb cleaner and have it residue free and use ARP head studs from a MK4 Supra.
I live not too far from Craig's shop by MacAurther Airport.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was plannig to upgrade to TT internals HG and studs but I wasnt thinking this soon. And yes you are right. I am to blame. .net have been very helpful to me since i became a member, now is time for me to experience the pain and share with others. I'll see if my mechanic do some of the fixing.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"I've never seen anyone install a wideband just to street tune it and then uninstall it."

It happened here.

it was tuned with a wideband. .

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
MannyBlaze said:
it was tuned with a wideband.
What did the wideband read when you were doing 135?

·
Registered
204 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
Haha. Way to be constructive.

In his defense, you really don't tune by speed.
So whether he was at 90 or 135 it makes no difference.

And he hasn't told us yet whether it was tuned with a wideband or not.

I haven't tuned my car on a dyno since I switched to my haltech, but I do tune with my wideband.

I know some people's idea of "tuning" is getting the car to seem like it's driving fine... regardless of AF ratio.
To achieve 135mph you have to be at a certain load, and rpm - it just doesnt just mysteriously happen. If the car was not tuned to take into account those parameters.... you were not tuned.

I'd like to see how well your garage queen car runs then.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much is is to swap HG. Imean in labor only?

What about the labor for TT internals?

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
MannyBlaze said:
I was plannig to upgrade to TT internals HG and studs but I wasnt thinking this soon. And yes you are right. I am to blame. .net have been very helpful to me since i became a member, now is time for me to experience the pain and share with others. I'll see if my mechanic do some of the fixing.
AltezzaBob has an awesome price for a nice set of TT internals..:)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts