Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With winter nearing it's end... I wanted to post some comments on the Toyo Observe Garit KX winter tires.

Previously I've been using Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires... and their performance in winter conditions is absolutely amazing. They are from Finland... so you'd expect that people from a Nordic country would make good winter tires. I've used Nokian Hakka 1, 2 and 4's and they all work great in winter conditions. I would drive past SUV's in snowstorms! The only problem I had with them is that they are soft tires. So as soon as you put them on... the handling of your car gets much sloppier. So when I needed new tires I decided to get winter tires that promised some better performance.

I decided to go with the Toyo Garit KX tires. Firstly to get the negative out of the way... these Toyo Garit KX tires do not have the same amount of grip in winter conditions that the Nokian Hakka tires do. With the Nokian Hakka tires you have this sense of invincibility in snow storms... and with the Toyo's you don't. You'll notice the grip differences the most when trying to move off from a stop. But once you are rolling you should be fine. This isn't to say the Toyo's provide poor grip in winter conditions... they are good... I'm just saying they're not as good as the Nokians.

Now that the negative is out of the way... I can speak about the positives. This tire provides the best handling of any winter tire I ever tried! I read reviews of people saying that they would forget they were driving on winter tires because of how well the car drove... and it's true! The sidewalls are very stiff and the car handles so well that you won't even think you are driving on winter tires... it's almost as if you are on high performance all-season tires. On some of the dry days this winter I was able to push my car very hard... and the handling was very sharp... and grip levels pretty high. These tires are also very quiet in comparison to some other winter tires. You don't get that howling sound in the car that people get with some other winter tires.

I would definitely recommend these tires to people who enjoy driving their cars as they give up only a small percentage of winter storm traction in comparison to gaining so much more performance that you'll be able to enjoy driving your car throughout the winter.

If you are in a region which gets large amounts of heavy snowfalls... then you should probably stick with a traditional winter tire. But if you live in areas that only get occasional heavy snow falls... then these Toyo Garit KX's would be a great choice.

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Nice. Sounds like my Hankook with better snow performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.