Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well..I guess I have the IS300 bug. This car really looks great, on paper anyway. I haven't seen one in person, and haven't followed the evolution of the car until recently. Right now I drive a '00 VW GTI VR6 which has been modded for show and track purposes. My GTI puts a grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel, even 8 months after buying it. My dilemma is, i'm young, and can now get into another vehicle if I want to..might as well take advantage of that while i'm still single
I am having a VERY VERY tough time finding ANYTHING else that puts a grin on my face like my VW does..including the BMW 3 series. In fact, I found the 3 series to be boring when I test drove it, even the 328Ci. I know handling is heads and tails above what my GTI is, but the sheer fun to drive factor just wasn't there. In fact, the only other car within 20k of what I'm driving now that even interests me is the M Coupe.

My question is, do you guys think the IS is going to be a car that will make you grin ear to ear every time you drive it? Is the IS going to be different from most Japanese cars in the way that it will actually have personality and road feel like German cars? If not with the Automagic transmission, do you think the manual will put more fun into it? (Right now the IS300 isn't looking so hot due to lack of manual transmission)

My first oppertunity to see this car in person won't be until mid-June at my local Lexus dealer..until then I'm still doing research to see what people think and feel about this car. I really love my GTI, but I really like what I read about the IS300. Is it worth trading up to? Thanks in advance,

------------------
Zerin Dube
http://www.gtivr6.com

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
After already seeing the new IS300 on three separate occasions (Spectra Blue Mica), I'll tell you the the photographs DO NOT do that car justice. It definitely looks better in person and in my opinion, is better looking than the 3 series BMWs. But geez, if a 328ci didn't put a grin to your face after test driving it, then I would stick to your GTI VR6 if I were you....because I don't see how a heavier IS300 can be more exciting...
Eric

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's funny I just test drove a '00 GTI a few weeks ago and I liked it so much I thought I might get one instead of the IS. If you weren't impressed with the way the 3-series drove you probably wont be impressed with the IS either, although it has great looks. I think you should just stick with what you have it's a great car. By the way what modifications have you done to the GTI?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jason:

Here's a running list of mods that have been done to the GTI:

(Suspension)
Neuspeed Sport Springs (1.5 inch drop)
Bilstein Sport Struts
Neuspeed Lower Tie Bar
Neuspeed Upper Strut Bar

Exterior:
18x8" Mille Miglia Spyder Wheels w/ Sumitomo HTR Z II Tires
Hella Magic Color Smoked Taillamps
Oettinger Sport Grille
European License Plate
35% Tint on front windows, 15% on rear

Performance:
Neuspeed Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust

All in all, not a lot of mods, but the exhaust tone is awesome on the car.
Thanks for the responses to my question also

------------------
Zerin Dube
http://www.gtivr6.com

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you tune the suspension on the IS and slap on some smaller rims you can use the car for drifting(fun stuff). I don't think very many people in the states do this but in Japan it's big. It's fun if you know what your doing and takes a little bit more skill than just making your car go fast in a straight line

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Yes, you seem to be pretty high on your car. It's brand new so why don't you just keep it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
get a Miata or MRS Spyder. I think those cars are really fun to drive. It's small, handles great not to mention a very slick 5 speed. Both of them!

If you want more power you can always add a turbo. I know Blitz makes a nice turbo, body, handling kit for the MRS and it looked stunning!

As for the Miata, its not hard to find any thing for that car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
'Course I'm not saying only blockheads drive s2000's. Hell, I'd love to get an s2000 - in fact (please don't hate me), I'm leaning more towards the s2000 than the IS300. Both are superb cars, although they are also completely different and uncomparable. So the question is, do I want a more practical car, or do I want to go with the convertible 2-seater because I'm only young once!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Brad, that's what I don't get either. It's a brand new car and already wants to get rid of it? Maybe he's getting the IS in addition to the GTI.

·
Registered
442 Posts
S2000 is on my list too...but what really attracted me was that some company is So. Cal has a AWD conversion for it. Might cost an arm and a leg but HELL...it be worth it. Bad thing...no back seats so you can't really drive a crew of friends or get it on in the back either

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Why would you want to convert the S2000 to AWD? It sounds like way too much trouble for what it's worth, and it will mess up the the already-excellent dynamics of the car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
AWD cars feel better than FF or FR more traction and more control. For of the line stuff you can launch at a higher rev...then on the twisties the car sticks to the road better too. AWD conversion won't mess up the dynamics so I dunno what kinda dynamics it would mess up

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
GPR, the car (S2000) has outstanding neutral handling with a touch of step out. Why would you want to add unnecessary weight and start your own experiment?

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you're thinking of converting it to an AWD I would also consider how robust the tranny is that's suppied with the conversion kit. I know of several people who modded the heck out of their AWD eclipses, posting qtr mile times of 11s to low 12s. Everyone of them experienced tranny problems or even trashed their trannys cuz it just wasn;t designed to handle that kind if torque.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Start my own experiment? It's already been done, there is a widebody S2000 with an AWD tranny in So. Cal. That car is set for autox as we speak, or will be in the near future. I'm pretty sure an aftermarket 6 speed will handle what the engine puts out. Plus even with a stock tranny the stock hp shouldn't be a problem for it. Naturally all tranny's can handle a certain percentage of a hp increase before it gives. An AWD conversion doesn't create more hp, sure if may weigh down the car a lil bit but handling would be better as well as acceleration. I've also got friends with modded out GSX's and they don't have that tranny prob even running with some forced induction.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Did you try looking at Toyota Supra's? They are EXTRMELEY hard to find (looking for one myself) but the price to fun factor is pretty damn hard to beat, especially if you're still young... A showroom condition 1998 model w/ less than 20K miles and the twin turbo + 6spd tranny will cost ya about $36K... This car is QUICK (4.7 second 0-60's) and high 13 1/4 miles stock... It has roadholding beyond compare (.98g's lateral skidpad) and performance wise is comparable to cars three times as much (like the 911)..

Chris Y.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
18 Participants
scoot557
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing